Post-Game Talk: 5 losses in a row

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I would have never imagined McLellan being as terrible as he is as coach. He's like Reinhart trade bad.

Well if you read what Sharks fan thought the year he got fired, you knew he was a stubborn SOB. Hell, his first year, so many of us were already pissed at how stubborn he was with personnel and how he never adapts on the fly.

And don’t forget how he never uses his timeouts. Like ever.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I would have never imagined McLellan being as terrible as he is as coach. He's like Reinhart trade bad.
I wasn't happy when we signed him on board and have always called him the wrong todd... Honestly though he did serve a purpose last year. he managed to get them to buy into a game plan. I think that is why the oil where able to be good last year. after 6 or so seasons where the oilers could be depended on to not stick to the game plan (even a shitty one) they just surprised a lot of teams by displaying some sticktoitivness. This year they where not surprising anyone and the fact tmacs systems are ten years old and easily countered is now front and center. his message has run its course and if they stick with him next year is gonna be ugly by november.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
Well if you read what Sharks fan thought the year he got fired, you knew he was a stubborn SOB. Hell, his first year, so many of us were already pissed at how stubborn he was with personnel and how he never adapts on the fly.

And don’t forget how he never uses his timeouts. Like ever.

he hoards the timeouts into a giant pile at the end of the season and dives into them like a lotto winner with a bed full of cash...

Reactions: Yablo21

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I have hope for Yamamoto as he’s accustomed to the NA game. Just watching how he gets his goals in the WHL (like his GWG a few nights ago) show he at least can read the ice pretty good.

JP is huge question mark.

The other guys I don’t know much.

We gotta stop gambling on rookies

I agree with the no more gambling on rookies thing. Which is why I would have liked to see jp in the top 6 down the stretch to see if he could reliable fill a top 6 winger spot next season. Instead though Todd decides that cagguila, aberg, rattie, cammy, and lucic should be utilized in the top 6 until the end of the year.

Like, why not play the top 5 draft pick who’s 19 years old in a position he was drafted to fill during meaningless games to see if he can grow into it. Why are we playing 25-35 year olds who are pretty well developed and known commodities in the top 6.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Wonder if losing 7 straight, with the art ross winner on your team to finish the season off will be enough of an “audit” for Nicholson to can the entire management staff from top to bottom. Like this shit is legit inexcusable, it’s getting out of hand. Todd and co seem to have been tuned out by the players (rightfully so) and chia has no sense of direction.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Rattie, Aberg and Caggiula should have no business being in the top 6 next season. If you count RNH as a winger now then we have 3 top 6 spots to fill. I was hop No they’d use JP during garbage time as a trial so we know what he have for next season.

Forget top 6, Aberg, Caggiula and Rattie should be fighting for bottom 6 spots with only one of them making it (Caggiula), the other being an extra forward (Aberg) and the other in the AHL (Rattie).

The bottom 6 for next season should be Lucic, Strome, Puju, Khaira, Kassian and Caggiula. That’s a bottom 6 I could live with and where those players belong.

Like you said, 3 spots to fill in the top 6. Chia better find some bargain contracts if he is to return next season. We just don’t have the cap space to waste money and we better not see Yama in the top 6 as a solution.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just watched the condensed game.

Wow, looks like we got our asses kicked and the final score was generous.

In the 9 minute video the only time Dubnyk was tested was when McDavid got in and was tackled by Parise. The other 'offensive highlights' were unscreened point shots that Dubnyk had zero problems with.

On the other end Talbot had to stand on his head to not make it a 6 or 7-0 game.

Embarrassing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Forget top 6, Aberg, Caggiula and Rattie should be fighting for bottom 6 spots with only one of them making it (Caggiula), the other being an extra forward (Aberg) and the other in the AHL (Rattie).

The bottom 6 for next season should be Lucic, Strome, Puju, Khaira, Kassian and Caggiula. That’s a bottom 6 I could live with and where those players belong.

Like you said, 3 spots to fill in the top 6. Chia better find some bargain contracts if he is to return next season. We just don’t have the cap space to waste money and we better not see Yama in the top 6 as a solution.

If they aren’t going to use JP in the top 6 then they should just put him in the AHL. In a perfect world Yamamoto will be in the AHL also but with our cap situation for next season I expect both of them to be in the lineup full time.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Just watched the condensed game.

Wow, looks like we got our asses kicked and the final score was generous.

In the 9 minute video the only time Dubnyk was tested was when McDavid got in and was tackled by Parise. The other 'offensive highlights' were unscreened point shots that Dubnyk had zero problems with.

On the other end Talbot had to stand on his head to not make it a 6 or 7-0 game.

Embarrassing.

Seemed like on MIN spent almost one full PP in the 3rd in our zone. Our PP, on the other hand, would just setup in time to loose the puck and regroup. MIN deserved to win. Totally outworked EDM.

I hate watching them play Minnesota, but when we used to be in the same division I always thought the Oilers should focus on building a team/system to beat Minnesota. Instead they focused on drafting talent and later trying to compete with or model themselves after "the big Pacific teams" who won cups.
I still tend to think that some hard work, systems play, and discipline would benefit the team a lot more than all the personnel moves. Even now the fan-base is focused on who to fire, trade, and sign. Meanwhile Minnesota is in the playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Oh you know we will... Why develop our prospects when we can just assume they'll supplant actual NHLers. Seems to be working with JP after all.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I have a feeling last years success is going to bite us in the ass next year again.
This year is going to be written off to anomaly's..

But Talbot has only given 1.5 years of good hockey in 3 years. I don't know how that can make anyone confident for next year.
That being said.. that defence... wow is it ever pathetic. They can't defend.. and they can't move the puck. Nurse took a giant steop forward.. and then a giant step back as far as I'm concerned.

Like I've said before. Worst team in NHL since the 04 lockout without McDavid.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And when is the rebound fairy coming to Edmonton? You sure that's a guarantee?

Colorado is also having an Erik Karlsson like season from Tyson Barrie (scoring at a 70 point pace). Feel free to do that any time, any Oiler d-man.

Colorado also missed the playoffs 3 years too. And they might not even make it this year.

Talbot, Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson and Lucic all had career worst years. Draisaitl outside of a hot stretch really didn't have that good a year especially on the PP and they got virtually nothing from the rest of the roster, can't see that happening again no matter how dire it looks now.

Not saying that some upgrades aren't needed (I'm including the coaching in there too) but this was a season where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I get why everybody is upset but this team isn't nearly this bad. I expect bounce backs from a lot of players next season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Talbot, Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson and Lucic all had career worst years. Draisaitl outside of a hot stretch really didn't have that good a year especially on the PP and they got virtually nothing from the rest of the roster, can't see that happening again no matter how dire it looks now.

Not saying that some upgrades aren't needed (I'm including the coaching in there too) but this was a season where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I get why everybody is upset but this team isn't nearly this bad. I expect bounce backs from a lot of players next season.
A lot of players are still on their usual career paces. The forwards just aren't that good with Lucic being the only guy that's really struggling. The defense is struggling but part of that is that Talbot isn't covering for them anymore.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Rantanen is a complete game changer for them too ... you're talking about a 75+ point winger added upfront.

MacKinnon + Rantanen + Landeskog + Barrie + E. Johnson + Varlamov

is probably a better core group than

McDavid + Draisaitl + RNH + Klefbom + Nurse + Talbot.

McDavid is better than MacKinnon probably but the way MacK played this year it was a wash. Barrie + EJ + Varlamov > Klef + Nurse + Talbot though.

This is recency bias, all of this. McDavid is "probably" better than MacKinnon? Yeah, ok.
Barrie and Johnson were a mess last season while Klefbom and Larsson were great. Talbot was a Vezina candidate last season while Varlamov was probably the worst starter in the league.

My point is in a cap league, team fortune can wildly fluctuate from year to year especially with young teams so just because some teams played great this season and some played poor, that doesn't mean it will be the norm.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A lot of players are still on their usual career paces. The forwards just aren't that good with Lucic being the only guy that's really struggling. The defense is struggling but part of that is that Talbot isn't covering for them anymore.

A lot of the wingers are young so we don't know what their career pace is yet. I don't expect Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera to be as awful as they were this season. Talbot has never been this poor in his career although he needs a 1B to push him. I know everybody hates him right now but I actually expect better from Lucic next season.

They need some upgrades on wing and a PMD if possible but one of the main issues is the coaching. Lifeless, unimaginative, unsupportive. There's no way, absolutely no way, that a team with McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH should be dead last in the league on the PP. Don't care who your wingers are, with those 3 guys you should be a middle of the road PP at minimum.

Everything has gone to shit recently as far as their overall play is concerned but there was a long stretch earlier in the season when the season still meant something when they were outplaying teams at even strength routinely and were done in by poor Special Teams. Sure, some of that is on the personnel but a lot of it is on coaching with poor systems and failure to adjust when something wasn't working. If they had a halfway decent PP and PK in that stretch, the season could have gone completely differently.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
I wasn't happy when we signed him on board and have always called him the wrong todd... Honestly though he did serve a purpose last year. he managed to get them to buy into a game plan. I think that is why the oil where able to be good last year. after 6 or so seasons where the oilers could be depended on to not stick to the game plan (even a ****ty one) they just surprised a lot of teams by displaying some sticktoitivness. This year they where not surprising anyone and the fact tmacs systems are ten years old and easily countered is now front and center. his message has run its course and if they stick with him next year is gonna be ugly by november.

Just curious what his system actually is? I see a lot of people make this type of comment without specifying.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A lot of the wingers are young so we don't know what their career pace is yet. I don't expect Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera to be as awful as they were this season. Talbot has never been this poor in his career although he needs a 1B to push him. I know everybody hates him right now but I actually expect better from Lucic next season.

I don't picture Kassian, Cagguila, or Slepyshev producing much more than they are right now, and Slepyshev is as good as gone. And Lucic will be better, because he can't be much worse. They need their defense and goaltending to be better along with some forward depth.

They need some upgrades on wing and a PMD if possible but one of the main issues is the coaching. Lifeless, unimaginative, unsupportive. There's no way, absolutely no way, that a team with McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH should be dead last in the league on the PP. Don't care who your wingers are, with those 3 guys you should be a middle of the road PP at minimum.

They need upgrades essentially everywhere. Defense, forwards, coaching, and goaltending. Chia can't be lazy like he was last summer.

Everything has gone to **** recently as far as their overall play is concerned but there was a long stretch earlier in the season when the season still meant something when they were outplaying teams at even strength routinely and were done in by poor Special Teams. Sure, some of that is on the personnel but a lot of it is on coaching with poor systems and failure to adjust when something wasn't working. If they had a halfway decent PP and PK in that stretch, the season could have gone completely differently.
You're not wrong but if you're outplaying teams and losing that generally means you aren't that good. The Oilers had many benefits the previous year including almost complete team health. No doubt better special teams would help but maybe not allowing prime scoring chances in the first five minutes would help too?

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I've started drinking more than usual, finally, to the point where I barely know what day it is hahahaha! Seriously.. Good job Oilers.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
Sadly I think it is 9 shutouts and they have let in the first shot like 19 times or something crazy like that.....
That i believe is just the first shot of the game. when you factor in first shot of the period things get reaaaallllllllyyyyyyy ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->