#5 All-Time??

Whatever Man*

The order of the top four is up for ENDLESS debate, but it seems there is a fair concensus that the top 4 NHL players of all-time are, Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux, and Bobby Orr.

So who is #5?

LaFleur?
Beliveau?
Richard?
Esposito?
Harvey?
Messier?
Jagr?
Clarke?
Mikita?
Someone Else?
The list could just keep going on.

I am going to have to think about this one, but have at it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its kind of funny that until this year Jagr seemed to work his way out of the top 40. I have him at around 17 with an arrow pointing up.

IMO Eddie Shore is #5.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Its kind of funny that until this year Jagr seemed to work his way out of the top 40. I have him at around 17 with an arrow pointing up.

I wonder what his position would be had he won the triple crown (Richard, Art Ross, Hart), as he was on pace to do until Thornton/Cheechoo took over late in the season.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Richard. I wonder where Bobby Hull could have ended up if he'd stayed in the NHL. Still a 50 goal man at the time, in a time when 50 goals was a ton...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'll take Richard because, IMO, he's the greatest clutch scorer of all-time. One of the best goal scorers who ever lived. Very strong (you never challenged the Rocket), and a strong all-round player. But he always saved his best for the playoffs - the hockey that mattered the most.

Hull and Beliveau were likely better players. Certainly won more awards. But if I'm entering a Game 7/elimination situation, and could choose from one player, ever, it would be Rocket Richard. (Eddie Shore is a close second). Shore, Bobby Hull, Beliveau and Harvey all warrant consideration for No. 5, too.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Cyclone Taylor would be a great pick. Not my choice, but a fine pick none-the-less. Likely one of the fastest skaters ever. Could skater faster backwards than anyone else could forwards, or so they say. And his instincts were incredible, the way he thought and saw the game. Likely the best player to ever lace up the blades until Howie Morenz came along. Taylor starred on both offence and defence.

Growing up in the Vancouver area, you'd hear a lot about how great Cyclone Taylor really was.

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
Sawchuk is at least top 10, I would think.

Considering the era he played in, I'd call him the top goalie of all time.

Great point and the tenders are often so overlooked but always figure in promently during Cup/playoff runs.

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
7 candidates. Richard, Hull, Beliveau, Harvey, Shore, Plante, and Sawchuk.

The Top 11 is pretty much set, but not the order.

1-4
Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux

5-11
Richard
Bobby Hull
Beliveau
Harvey
Shore
Plante
Sawchuk

I guess Patrick Roy would be #12.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
IMO, it goes like this:

1-4:
Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux

5-9:
Sawchuk
Roy
Plante
Hasek
Hall

10-19:
Richard
Shore
Hull
Jagr
Harvey
Beliveau
Kharlamov
Hainsworth
Tretiak

And then there's a huge mass of excellent players that don't quite stand out above the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad