GDT: 5/19/18 - 7:15PM EDT - #1M Washington VS #1A Tampa Bay [ECF GAME 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Doughty played like hammered dog **** and was also suspended a game. Brent Burns was -16 on a +23 goal differential team, plays more like Sustr defensively than anything resembling a smart, mobile defenseman.
You're subjective opinion vs last two Norris winners. Hmm...........

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
true G seems to be in pain always..

mr-meeseeks-existence-is-pain-t-shirt-design.png.pagespeed.ce._CuNMnXxqr.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Mishkin: "When the Lightning were really good, they scored 3 goals. When the Capitals were really good, they scored 2. And there's the difference."

To me, this game didn't look like Games 3 and 4. In those games, we won despite getting outplayed badly. This game looked more like textbook Cooper hockey. We were aggressive until we got a lead, went into a defensive shell, and then became sort of selective with our aggression and pressure. It felt like a very routine Lightning win, whereas Games 3 and 4 felt like lucky wins.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
To me, this game didn't look like Games 3 and 4. In those games, we won despite getting outplayed badly. This game looked more like textbook Cooper hockey. We were aggressive until we got a lead, went into a defensive shell, and then became sort of selective with our aggression and pressure. It felt like a very routine Lightning win, whereas Games 3 and 4 felt like lucky wins.

What I don’t understand is why with 5 minutes to go you aren’t pressing them slightly with your forwards. Just sitting back and letting them make passes in your zone. Dangerous way to play.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
yeah I mean I didn't know he enjoys acting funny like this much!

Much under appreciated from Ranger fans (particularly at the end) what he brings to a team and what he brings to the room. Pulling for him to win a Cup. I told y'all when you you signed him last year that he's still got a lot to offer a team if he's used the right way. And here you are on the verge of the Cup Final and the Rangers had a yard sale at the trade deadline. End the Caps in DC and beat Vegas (probably) for the Cup. Good luck the rest of the way!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We're at the same point we were in 2016 against the Pens, up 3-2 after 5. Hopefully Game 6 being on the road will have us more focused than we were then. Also no friggin disallowed goal on offside review please!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
We're at the same point we were in 2016 against the Pens, up 3-2 after 5. Hopefully Game 6 being on the road will have us more focused than we were then. Also no friggin disallowed goal on offside review please!
This is exactly what I was thinking. I hate to be that guy but I have a bad feeling going into these next two games. Don't know why, but I 100% expect the Caps to win tomorrow forcing a game 7. Then it's a toss up. In a one-and-done I give the upper hand to the better team (not the home team). In this case the Caps have been the better team the majority of the series.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Callahan mentioned the Pens series. I am sure this is in the back of their minds. Don't take the foot off the throat

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You're subjective opinion vs last two Norris winners. Hmm...........

Winning a Norris doesn't mean you are a smart mobile defenseman. Burns is exhibit A, B, and C.

Winnipeg has some great defenders, but Vegas is eating them alive with their forecheck because they aren't very mobile. It was ridiculous how many times Byugflien whiffed on a pass due to pressure.

Skate the puck out of danger and connect on a good breakout pass. It's just like taking care of a blitz in football.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Winning a Norris doesn't mean you are a smart mobile defenseman. Burns is exhibit A, B, and C.

Winnipeg has some great defenders, but Vegas is eating them alive with their forecheck because they aren't very mobile. It was ridiculous how many times Byugflien whiffed on a pass due to pressure.

Skate the puck out of danger and connect on a good breakout pass. It's just like taking care of a blitz in football.
We can debate the minutia of our particular points of view all day, but your original point, I think, was that Vegas hasn't seen a "smart and mobile defense" and mine is simply this; Vegas saw every team in the league during the regular season and along the way they I'm sure they ran up against some pretty good defensemen, including smart and mobile ones, yet came away with 109 pts. Now they have won two playoff series and are on the verge of winning a third. Whatever marginal difference that may exist between YOUR ideal, prototypical S&M defensemen and the defensemen they have already seen and beaten isn't that great. Vegas has proven they can succeed against anyone, regardless of style, and if they manage to hold on vs Wpeg they will be a formidable opponent for either the Caps or the Bolts, quite possibly even the favorite given the way Fleury is playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rschmitz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad