GDT: 5/11/18 - 8:00PM EDT - #1M Washington VS #1A Tampa Bay [ECF GAME 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
WTF ... playing well is like the bare minimum we can ask of a player and captain. The coach sets the strategy but he isn’t the one leading the troops into battle. Absence of player leadership the coach has to take on that role. On the ice, field, pitch, whatever is your Captain that says follow me and I’ll lead you to victory. The coach sets the rules and expectations. Emotionally is your Captain. There are some fiery coaches that make great speeches ... but it’s the Captain that ultimately puts players in their place when they come out flat like this.

What do you people think player only meetings are for? It’s players holding players accountable and it starts with your Captain.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
WTF ... playing well is like the bare minimum we can ask of a player and captain. The coach sets the strategy but he isn’t the one leading the troops into battle. Absence of player leadership the coach has to take on that role. On the ice, field, pitch, whatever is your Captain that says follow me and I’ll lead you to victory. The coach sets the rules and expectations. Emotionally is your Captain. There are some fiery coaches that make great speeches ... but it’s the Captain that ultimately puts players in their place when they come out flat like this.

What do you people think player only meetings are for? It’s players holding players accountable and it starts with your Captain.

You're talking about Stamkos as the captain not leading but what one God's green earth are you talking about? He was the best forward on the ice last night. He actually split the d and caused more problems in two shifts than the entire forward group did in nearly two periods. That was pre leg break Stamkos. Like Master P Daddy said, he held onto the puck more at times and was completely different than the ass-tastic player we've seen the first two rounds. If you're pissing on him in any other game I think everybody would agree but in the midst of that embarrassment he's not to blame. I blame Cooper for that dumb ass game plan, no adjustments and the other players standing, not receiving passes, not making the right play and taking 50 minutes off.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
You're talking about Stamkos as the captain not leading but what one God's green earth are you talking about? He was the best forward on the ice last night. He actually split the d and caused more problems in two shifts than the entire forward group did in nearly two periods. That was pre leg break Stamkos. Like Master P Daddy said, he held onto the puck more at times and was completely different than the ass-tastic player we've seen the first two rounds. If you're pissing on him in any other game I think everybody would agree but in the midst of that embarrassment he's not to blame. I blame Cooper for that dumb ass game plan, no adjustments and the other players standing, not receiving passes, not making the right play and taking 50 minutes off.
Agree 100% that majority of the blame for this crap 1st game is on Cooper. His game plan sucked from his horrible PK that he hasn't corrected yet, his inability to get them to shoot the puck more, (yes he is the one who can control this!) his guys getting beat to the puck all night, and getting his guys to try and control center ice more than what they did. He can correct this by giving them less playing time in the game and rewarding guys like Stamkos, Point and others who are hustling and doing what they are suppose to do. And he can change their approach on the PP also since it is hit and miss most of the time.
They seem to play their worst hockey when they try and be a finesse team with their cute passing instead of shooting the puck and hustling for rebounds and playing physical.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I have to say, I got a weird feeling when they showed the guys in the tunnel before the game. They looked as subdued as I've ever seen them in there. And the slow plodding march to the ice, the catatonic stares during the anthem. It was uncharacteristic. Almost like somebody dropped some heavy news on them in the locker room. In hindsight, this thing might have been over before it started. The only question is why? What the hell happened?

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
I just can't get over that still photo sent by tweet showing the Conga line of players that led to the first goal. Girardi and Hedman coving one player. That was utter stupidity of D coverage. SMH

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I’m not crapping on his play. I’m talking about his leadership. Leading by example? If he is leading by example why is nobody else following and playing well. Why did nobody else show up to the game on time? I say leadership and all you can reply is that he played well? He is not a role player ... he is the frigging Captain!

Leading by example is one of several things a leader does. Not the only thing. All the players said the coaching staff emphasized showing up on time. It’s been the talk of just about every interview. Stamkos should be kicking some ass in that locker room.

I for one hold him accountable to his job as Captain. Get your frigging troops ready.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I’m not crapping on his play. I’m talking about his leadership. Leading by example? If he is leading by example why is nobody else following and playing well. Why did nobody else show up to the game on time? I say leadership and all you can reply is that he played well? He is not a role player ... he is the frigging Captain!

Leading by example is one of several things a leader does. Not the only thing. All the players said the coaching staff emphasized showing up on time. It’s been the talk of just about every interview. Stamkos should be kicking some ass in that locker room.

I for one hold him accountable to his job as Captain. Get your frigging troops ready.
hes not the only leader in that room, you have guys like callahan girardi kuntiz, all who have been to the dance, they should all be held accountable not just stammer. Stamkos showed up no one else did.

Reactions: Stammertime91

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I have to say, I got a weird feeling when they showed the guys in the tunnel before the game. They looked as subdued as I've ever seen them in there. And the slow plodding march to the ice, the catatonic stares during the anthem. It was uncharacteristic. Almost like somebody dropped some heavy news on them in the locker room. In hindsight, this thing might have been over before it started. The only question is why? What the hell happened?
They realized they would have to play against the new dynasty, Winnipeg Jets, in the Finals.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I think we were too aggressive as well. To clarify..being too aggressive and missing the puck or letting them make a play and we still fail to get the puck. In the first ten minutes, they had too many odd man rushes or outnumbered situations where a defenseman was beaten and they had a forward in support trailing that resulted in another odd man situation. If Oshie shoots that puck on the 3 on 2 Hedman played perfectly, it's another grade A chance within what, the first 6 or 7 minutes of the game? McDonagh and Stralman stepped up and exposed the far side. They were slinging 25 footers across the ice before 1 of our players could recognize what was happening. That's unlike this group. If they take away those seams we can play a bit more patient and grind out a win if need be, but if they just leave lanes open again tomorrow then we are doomed.

I really hope they are looking at that because I was just laughing after the first 5 that diced our team. It was like we were watching a laggy stream and they were fluid so every time we reacted, we were 3 seconds behind and they were zipping passes cross ice from zone to zone.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

If everybody had actually followed Stamkos's lead last night, we'd have fared a whole lot better.

On the Sportsnet broadcast they reported that Stamkos was yelling at the bench to simplify and shoot the puck.

I blame Stamkos for a lot of things, but I think it's a stretch to blame him for last night. It wasn't just a matter of "playing well." He was by far our best player and actually looked like the 2011ish version of himself.

I think we struggled a lot with Washington's structure, which was made worse by how poorly we were passing the puck. But we're gonna have to figure out a way to get through that 1-3-1 that turns into a 1-4. We have the speed and the skill to do that, and we'll definitely need a better effort, but I don't think effort is the only reason we lost last night. I think an A+ effort would have given us a very even game. We looked like we didn't really know how to attack them.

Reactions: The Green Unit

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Not all leaders take the Mark Messier approach. There are different styles of effective leadership. I just don't think we have enough evidence from where we're sitting to blame last night on leadership. Great teams have bad nights, and great leaders' teams have bad nights.

The only way we know guys like Steve Yzerman were great leaders is because his teammates said it. You won't see many fiery interviews, and you won't hear stories about him breaking sticks in the lockerroom. But he went on the ice and performed every night at a high level.

If Stamkos had come out as flat as everybody else, I think maybe you could call his leadership into question. Especially if we see it again tomorrow. But we really have no idea what's going on in the room. We only know what we see on the ice, and last night was one of the few nights where it felt like Stamkos actually was being an on-ice leader. So it just seems like a weird time to criticize him for that, given it might have been the most consistently dangerous playoff game he's had (as opposed to sneezing out a point or two) since at least the 2015 NYR series, but, honestly, probably longer.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I think we were too aggressive as well. To clarify..being too aggressive and missing the puck or letting them make a play and we still fail to get the puck. In the first ten minutes, they had too many odd man rushes or outnumbered situations where a defenseman was beaten and they had a forward in support trailing that resulted in another odd man situation. If Oshie shoots that puck on the 3 on 2 Hedman played perfectly, it's another grade A chance within what, the first 6 or 7 minutes of the game? McDonagh and Stralman stepped up and exposed the far side. They were slinging 25 footers across the ice before 1 of our players could recognize what was happening. That's unlike this group. If they take away those seams we can play a bit more patient and grind out a win if need be, but if they just leave lanes open again tomorrow then we are doomed.

I really hope they are looking at that because I was just laughing after the first 5 that diced our team. It was like we were watching a laggy stream and they were fluid so every time we reacted, we were 3 seconds behind and they were zipping passes cross ice from zone to zone.
We looked laggy for sure. Or sedated. It was just a weird game from us, and I'm convinced it'll be the outlier of the series. A lot of what I saw Washington doing seemed scripted, and systemic. They're a well-oiled machine just humming along. But if we disrupt any part of their system, I think the whole thing starts looking pretty jenky. I mean, Brett Connolly looked dangerous for crying out loud. We know exactly who that guy is as a player.

The trap stuff they do defensively (in addition to being just plain shameful in 2018), will be an issue, but we're talented and creative enough that we should be able to find a weakness to exploit.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
If everybody had actually followed Stamkos's lead last night, we'd have fared a whole lot better.

On the Sportsnet broadcast they reported that Stamkos was yelling at the bench to simplify and shoot the puck.

I blame Stamkos for a lot of things, but I think it's a stretch to blame him for last night. It wasn't just a matter of "playing well." He was by far our best player and actually looked like the 2011ish version of himself.

I think we struggled a lot with Washington's structure, which was made worse by how poorly we were passing the puck. But we're gonna have to figure out a way to get through that 1-3-1 that turns into a 1-4. We have the speed and the skill to do that, and we'll definitely need a better effort, but I don't think effort is the only reason we lost last night. I think an A+ effort would have given us a very even game. We looked like we didn't really know how to attack them.
Agree about their defense. Hated that garbage even when we were doing it back in the day. But we have the talent and creativity to either beat it or at least force them into situations where they have to choose between conceding a scoring chance or taking a penalty, a la Stammer's semi-breakaway. Might be time to unleash Stammer, Kuch, Point and TJ and let 'em be as selfish as they want and just go for broke.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I was an amazing leader for my midget hockey team, and we still sucked an big one. And it wasn't due to my great leadership (which was amazing btw)

Reactions: Hoek

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It almost like they psyched themselves out of the game. I bet they kept telling themselves "its no big deal, we've been here before" etc... so much so that they didn't start the game with any emotion.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I just can't get over that still photo sent by tweet showing the Conga line of players that led to the first goal. Girardi and Hedman coving one player. That was utter stupidity of D coverage. SMH

This was one reason why I wasn't blaming Vasy for too much of the chaos even though he got pulled. Not even Superman could spot a puck through a TRIPLE fricking screen!! Especially since Girardi, Hedman and Ovi are NOT small guys! Besides the little fact that if you have two defensemen hitting the same player at the same time, who the hell is covering the guy who ended up scoring the bloody goal?? :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad