GDT: 5/11/18 - 8:00PM EDT - #1M Washington VS #1A Tampa Bay [ECF GAME 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It won't happen but I would rather see Conacher out there next game instead of Kunitz. That 4th line has one empty netter (and really good performances tbh) but it would be nice if they had a guy willing to shoot out there. By the time Callahan sets up his granny 23 MPH slapshot, he's written a best seller and set a due date on when it's gonna hit the goalie.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would have liked to see some big Cally shifts tonight, yeah. 4th line looked asleep, whereas, vs. Boston, they were like an injection of caffeine through the rest of the lineup.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Would have liked to see some big Cally shifts tonight, yeah. 4th line looked asleep, whereas, vs. Boston, they were like an injection of caffeine through the rest of the lineup.

That's why I'm not sold on this being anything more than game 1 vs Boston. Sure they kicked our ass, credit to them, but I expect us to be better.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I will say it was refreshing to see the ol' Kunitz we've known and loved for years show up tonight. Wilson deserves everything he gets at this point, and it really felt like Kunitz was driving that point home for him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's why I'm not sold on this being anything more than game 1 vs Boston. Sure they kicked our ass, credit to them, but I expect us to be better.

What scares me is, in the Boston game, it was basically: we controlled 3 shifts, then Bergeron's line scored vs. Point's line. So I mean, the scary thing was whether or not we'd be able to control Bergeron's line.

This is more like, their team was better, man for man, line for line. It's multiple problems.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is the first time in the playoffs we have played a team with more then one line! Boston has one line and the devils had one line. What’s scares me is I thought we had the faster team ? We looked like snails tonight chasing them around.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Long time reader, first time poster here but I’m feeling compelled to air the grievances...And by no means is this me trying to crap on the team. As someone who has been watching since a young boy in 1994, I’ve witnessed the good and bad of this franchise. Through the 50 loss seasons to Stanley Cup redemption in 2004. But over the last few years we finally have a team where expectations are sky high and we’re a perennial contender. Most other team’s fans would kill to cheer for a team this successful, so maybe this means we’ve become spoiled a bit. But we know what this team is capable of and how frustrating it can be to watch them shoot themselves in the foot when clearly they are better than that. Im not worried about tonight, it’s just game 1, and I do believe we’ll bring a better effort Sunday. But here’s a few issues that grind my gears...

Killorn- aside from not giving a better effort on Ovi’s goal, he really hasn’t done much these playoffs. I think we all love “playoff Killorn” but I’m beyond annoyed with his soft play and constant falling down. Seriously, I’ve never seen an NHLer lose their edge as often as he does. Anytime he tries to stop suddenly or pull up, woops down he goes! At some point you just have to laugh and move on.

PK- at what point do the coaches try something new? Have you noticed how passive we are in this situations? We form a collapsed 4 man box and rarely move out to challenge the puck carrier. Check it out Sunday when we’re on a kill... see how they almost make a perfect square with that box and allow the other team ample space to work with. It’s almost as if they don’t mind spending the whole 2 minutes in their own end and would rather take the onslaught and look to block shots instead to create turnovers. Take a look at how some of the better PK units around the league force the play and challenge the shooter/puck man. Some teams, (gasp), even create offensive chances for themselves while shorthanded. But for now I’d settle for a little more aggressiveness. Now I’m just an average Joe and maybe I’m way wrong here. But if my PK units were struggling to get kills and I watched the film and saw that...wouldn’t ya think that would be a damn good reason to try a new strategy? I mean at this point what do we have to lose?

Kunitz- I like the addition this summer and understand what his role is. And for the most part this season he was effective. But he’s become too much of a passenger lately only good for taking penalties. His line with Cally and ceddy were great vs Boston, but at some point he needs to generate some offense . I’m not expecting him to be a goal scorer or hero, but lately he’s reminded me of how we used Brendan Morrow in 2015. Just a warm body. And I swear, if I have to hear about his 4 cups one more time...

But I digress, we’ve got a pretty good thing going here and i suppose I should be grateful to even be in this position in May. Just a couple things to get off my chest lol. Thanks for listening :popcorn:

Go Bolts :thumbu:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
What scares me is, in the Boston game, it was basically: we controlled 3 shifts, then Bergeron's line scored vs. Point's line. So I mean, the scary thing was whether or not we'd be able to control Bergeron's line.

This is more like, their team was better, man for man, line for line. It's multiple problems.

Understandable. I think it's more telling that we were just bad all around. I don't think we suddenly went downhill. I think it's just being caught off guard and when we have multiple days to rest, it kills us. We weren't amazing game 1 vs NJ iirc. I'll concede we have big problems if they do that to us again Sunday.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Long time reader, first time poster here but I’m feeling compelled to air the grievances...And by no means is this me trying to crap on the team. As someone who has been watching since a young boy in 1994, I’ve witnessed the good and bad of this franchise. Through the 50 loss seasons to Stanley Cup redemption in 2004. But over the last few years we finally have a team where expectations are sky high and we’re a perennial contender. Most other team’s fans would kill to cheer for a team this successful, so maybe this means we’ve become spoiled a bit. But we know what this team is capable of and how frustrating it can be to watch them shoot themselves in the foot when clearly they are better than that. Im not worried about tonight, it’s just game 1, and I do believe we’ll bring a better effort Sunday. But here’s a few issues that grind my gears...

Killorn- aside from not giving a better effort on Ovi’s goal, he really hasn’t done much these playoffs. I think we all love “playoff Killorn” but I’m beyond annoyed with his soft play and constant falling down. Seriously, I’ve never seen an NHLer lose their edge as often as he does. Anytime he tries to stop suddenly or pull up, woops down he goes! At some point you just have to laugh and move on.

PK- at what point do the coaches try something new? Have you noticed how passive we are in this situations? We form a collapsed 4 man box and rarely move out to challenge the puck carrier. Check it out Sunday when we’re on a kill... see how they almost make a perfect square with that box and allow the other team ample space to work with. It’s almost as if they don’t mind spending the whole 2 minutes in their own end and would rather take the onslaught and look to block shots instead to create turnovers. Take a look at how some of the better PK units around the league force the play and challenge the shooter/puck man. Some teams, (gasp), even create offensive chances for themselves while shorthanded. But for now I’d settle for a little more aggressiveness. Now I’m just an average Joe and maybe I’m way wrong here. But if my PK units were struggling to get kills and I watched the film and saw that...wouldn’t ya think that would be a damn good reason to try a new strategy? I mean at this point what do we have to lose?

Kunitz- I like the addition this summer and understand what his role is. And for the most part this season he was effective. But he’s become too much of a passenger lately only good for taking penalties. His line with Cally and ceddy were great vs Boston, but at some point he needs to generate some offense . I’m not expecting him to be a goal scorer or hero, but lately he’s reminded me of how we used Brendan Morrow in 2015. Just a warm body. And I swear, if I have to hear about his 4 cups one more time...

But I digress, we’ve got a pretty good thing going here and i suppose I should be grateful to even be in this position in May. Just a couple things to get off my chest lol. Thanks for listening :popcorn:

Go Bolts :thumbu:

Lol the Killorn bit was dead on.

Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Herbert Lewis

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018

Agree. I didn’t see any jump whatsoever from the fourth line. It was very frustrating. I think it’s too early to put Conacher in. But if we lay another egg, then, yes, his shot would be useful.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018

This is dead on, and exactly what I was thinking last night. We better hope that the cement is removed from our skates and we look better up and down the roster on Sunday. Or there will be a problem. My hope is that, like Boston game 1, we weren’t ready for the intensity. But here, Washington was just even more locked in, which made the first two periods look worse.

I think the end of first period shift in momentum was another deflating factor that cannot be understated.

I also didn’t see the players focused on bringing the physicality as before. I think we need the boys to lay a few big hits on Sunday to get everyone locked in.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We just played slow. The way we play - if the timing is a hair off, we go from looking like the Harlem Globetrotters to the Washington Generals. That's been this team for the past 4 years. I think that's why layoffs hurt us so much.

Reactions: Hoek and Master P

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Flat out ... not coming ready to play for game 1 of a playoff series is on the player leadership. Stamkos' leadership abilities show through when the team he leads isn't ready to play. Coach sets the strategy. Coach worries about the X's and O's and sets the expectation. What happens on the ice ... is not about the coach chewing them out ... is the leadership of this team holding the players accountable.

The Captain is Stamkos and he does not get a pass here. He is there to inspire his team, lead the team, and show up when it matters. Flat out ... get a new captain if this is how Stamkos is going to lead his team.

Its a Bolts Life

Jan 29, 2015
Flat out ... not coming ready to play for game 1 of a playoff series is on the player leadership. Stamkos' leadership abilities show through when the team he leads isn't ready to play. Coach sets the strategy. Coach worries about the X's and O's and sets the expectation. What happens on the ice ... is not about the coach chewing them out ... is the leadership of this team holding the players accountable.

The Captain is Stamkos and he does not get a pass here. He is there to inspire his team, lead the team, and show up when it matters. Flat out ... get a new captain if this is how Stamkos is going to lead his team.
I find it hard to blame stammer for this game when he was one of like three people that showed up at the start of the game. To me he was leading by example and the rest of the team just didn't give shit.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Actually getting the team ready to play falls mostly on the coach. Stamkos was out there leading by example and playing great. The majority of the team just wasn't ready to play.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
We will bounce back. This game just away from us and Caps were energized by jumping out ahead. Cap clearly the better team. That no goal / goal for Caps really was very crushing at the end of 1st.
I am confident our coaches and players to adjust to the Caps as they did for Devils and Bruins.
This should be a close series and as both teams have demonstrated already, home ice doesn’t mean much.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think Stammer was leading by example. I have a hard time criticizing him for one of the only games we've seen from him in recent memory where he was far and away our best player.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
It was a sad performance. Going to the game tom. They better come for blood. I blame the staff for not getting them up for two game one's in a row. If they were up then we are in serious trouble.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think Stammer was leading by example. I have a hard time criticizing him for one of the only games we've seen from him in recent memory where he was far and away our best player.
I think the issue with Stammer since he got the C has been him trying to be a "complete player". Not that theres anything wrong with that mind you but I feel that he thinks he should't "puck hog" or play selfish, which is what he needs to do. I think the game last night was Stamkos realizing that the team just wasn't ready and because of that he went back to his old ways and became a more "selfish" player. By that I mean he wasn't looking to pass, instead he was using his speed and attacking the defense right up the middle. It was great to see.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
Passing was horrible, no forechecking to speak of, and letting the Caps come through center ice with our guys constantly backing up all night. Would like to see Conacher come in and play on 3rd line and move Killorn down to 4th. If Erne is healthy please put in the lineup for either Kunitz or Paquette. And agree the PK needs to be more aggressive and put pressure on guys at point and corners instead of all dropping down in front of Vasi.

Oh and I forgot the most important fact. Stop this horrible behind the back and no look passing and shoot the freaking puck from everywhere. We spend half the PP making the same lame ass passes back and forth before we lose the puck with them knowing our passing routine most of the time.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Passing was horrible, no forechecking to speak of, and letting the Caps come through center ice with our guys constantly backing up all night. Would like to see Conacher come in and play on 3rd line and move Killorn down to 4th. If Erne is healthy please put in the lineup for either Kunitz or Paquette. And agree the PK needs to be more aggressive and put pressure on guys at point and corners instead of all dropping down in front of Vasi.
I'm all in favor of giving Erne a shot IF he's ready to go. I'd rather keep Paquette in then Kunitz personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad