Pre-Game Talk: 4th Annual CFHF Draft Party [Fri. June 22 - Schanks South]

Which Schanks location?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So like salted caramel?

Wait, no. That’d be Kylington.

@Kahvi you’ll likely need a car. Calgary is big and spread out and many things are well off the light rail transit.

Parking downtown is pricey. I’d recommend looking at hotels outside of downtown as a result. You can see downtown by taking the train in.
HEOJs.gif

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
@Lazar Beams I'm looking at some hotels and motels near Banff trail station, I guess thats the motel disctrict area. Cheaper accommodation is a plus, I'll spent the money on something else and just take the LRT to downtown.

I don't know what to do or where to go, but at least visit
-Saddledome
-Calgary Zoo
-Calgary Tower
-brewpubs and distilleries

and just hang around. No thanks to night clubs, shopping etc. but other that that, suggestions what to see are welcome. I hope to comfirm my schedule by sunday, I don't have passport atm and my credit card expires in June so I need to check those first :laugh:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So you'll have to go downtown and see stuff, obviously. It really depends on what you like, there'll be something to interest you.

If you're into history, Fort Calgary and Glenbow Museum will be must-sees. Heritage Park is more of a theme park but it also has some historical info of the area.

If you like physical activities, you can go downtown and rent a bike, and tour around the pathway system, one of the biggest pathway system in North America. (there might be a place near Motel Village too, now that I think of it)

If you do end up renting a car, a drive out to the mountains is a must; especially if you like hiking. Would also recommend Kananaskis or the Canmore area. If you do like a good hike but don't want to rent a car, you could actually take the train south to Fish Creek (45 minutes or so) and pick a pathway or two through the park; some very nice trails there. There are bus tour options as well that will hit the more touristy areas like Banff or Lake Louise, but still something to consider.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@Lazar Beams I'm looking at some hotels and motels near Banff trail station, I guess thats the motel disctrict area. Cheaper accommodation is a plus, I'll spent the money on something else and just take the LRT to downtown.

-Saddledome
-Calgary Zoo
-Calgary Tower

and just hang around. No thanks to night clubs, shopping etc. but other that that, suggestions what to see are welcome. I hope to comfirm my schedule by sunday, I don't have passport atm and my credit card expires in June so I need to check those first :laugh:
@Kahvi

If you stay there, I really recommend the Hampton Inn. It's not the cheapest in the area but them having a hot breakfast from 6 to 11 every day of the week is a huge plus. They generally have 3 hot items in a chaffer dish (1 meat, 1 carb and 1 egg.... the meat usually would be sausage or bacon. The carb pancakes, french toast, cubed potatoes. The egg generally scrambled eggs, either plain, with green onions, cheese or ham and cheese), there is always make your own waffles, hot oatmeal, muffins, bagels... etc, apples, oranges, bananas and as I was leaving the chain 2.5 years ago they were implementing fresh fruit cocktail thing. Honestly, for the extra $15-20 that place might be it's worth it for the breakfast. Plus they are always clean and the staff quite friendly. They also have a fitness center, pool w/ waterslide and hot tub. The Banff Trail station is like half a block away.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think there will be very much going on at the Saddledome during the off season so I wouldn't really recommend going out of your way to go see it. It might even be closed unless there happens to be a concert.

If you have any interest in CFL, there's a Stampeders game on the 28th.

2018 Stamps Schedule - Calgary Stampeders

The stadium is literally right behind the Banff Trail motel area and you could walk over there in like 20 minutes. Big T's BBQ is also behind the motels. There's also a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, a grocery store, etc in Kensington, which would be just 3 stations away.

We also have a science centre not too far from the zoo.
Home | TELUS Spark

Maybe have a read through our visitor's thread for some ideas that haven't come up yet.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/visiting-calgary-general-city-area-discussion.1473387/

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think there will be very much going on at the Saddledome during the off season so I wouldn't really recommend going out of your way to go see it. It might even be closed unless there happens to be a concert.

If you have any interest in CFL, there's a Stampeders game on the 28th.

2018 Stamps Schedule - Calgary Stampeders

The stadium is literally right behind the Banff Trail motel area and you could walk over there in like 20 minutes. Big T's BBQ is also behind the motels. There's also a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, a grocery store, etc in Kensington, which would be just 3 stations away.

We also have a science centre not too far from the zoo.
Home | TELUS Spark

Maybe have a read through our visitor's thread for some ideas that haven't come up yet.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/visiting-calgary-general-city-area-discussion.1473387/
Speaking of Big Ts

@Lazar Beams are we going to go this year? I like trying new places but none have come close
@Unlimited Chequing @InfinityIggy @Johnny Hoxville @tfong @Deebious @Janko Unchained any of you guys down for Big Ts if we do?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Depending on how long you hang around, the Stampede starts on July, 7th. If not, I’d make it a must to check out Canmore and Banff. Also, talk to @InfinityIggy about the entertainment.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Guys? Per @Flames Fanatic Schanks North will be closed for renovations June-August. So it appears Schanks South has won by default.

Good job looking ahead, @Flames Fanatic.

Actually, I was thinking the other day since we're talking about these BBQ places, are there any we can go to that has a tv to watch the draft? I know Big T's has one, but it's pretty small. @Lazar Beams, any suggestions? If not, I'm fine with Schanks South.

Schanks North? Sorry guys, no way I'm going there

just kidding, I just bought the tickets. I'll be in Calgary from 21st to 30th

IdioticVengefulCondor-size_restricted.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
-Saddledome
-Calgary Zoo
-Calgary Tower
=

Since I like to think I'm pretty decent at these things.

Saddledome is right off the C-Train tracks. You won't be able to get in during the summer unless there's another event.

Calgary zoo also can be found right off the tracks on the NE line. We have Pandas now, so that makes it pretty God damn sweet. It's a nice little zoo with some Dinosaurs as well because of Alberta's history.

Calgary Tower is downtown, and a block off the main train line. It's like 18 bucks to get inside and do a little tour. I think they have guided tours every so often that are included in admission.

K, Brewpub time. OR the BEST time. Calgary's become a bit of a brewery hub; outside of Victoria it's probably climbing the ranks in Western Canada at a breakneck pace. It's too bad I'll be boating between the 22nd and 25th, or else I'd take you through the barley belt. I'm sure someone else on the board would be more than happy to give you a little tour.

So, it's totally best on bike. Just because everything's far enough where it's like a bit too much to walk, but you're also drinking a lot of beer and it's too close to drive. More or less between 58th Ave SE and Inglewood, there's something like 10 breweries. They're all really f***ing good too.

What I'd suggest is getting on the train (with bike) and getting off at Chinook, go kind of late afternoon so that you can take your time. Head NE until you hit Prairie Dog. They'll be open by the time you get to Calgary, and it's legit. I've got a lot of buddies in the brewery world and I've sampled their beer. Good shit. In addition, they're going to have like the biggest smoker outside of the Southern states... Grab some BBQ. Head further North to Annex. Annex is really good. Paradise found is my fav and their root beer is great.

From there, I'd do Born Colorado and Banded Peak. Grab some brews and enjoy how fun they are. After swing by Paddy's BBQ; great beer, and as you might imagine, great BBQ. Get a little snack to keep the liquor from doing you in.

From there, enjoy a little cemetery ride and the Stampede grounds. Could double down to see the Dome here too. Now, you're close to Inglewood/Ramsay. There are two of them there are absurdly good. I'd suggest getting High Line out of the way, it's pretty good. They have one called Kent or Smokes. Both are good. Can check out Revival too, I haven't been there yet, but I've heard it's fun. After that, I'd suggest swinging down to Ramsay and getting some Dandy, those guys are pros.

I like finishing the night off at Cold Garden. Amazing beer, funky hipster place with the most women ratio you'll find on your brew tour. If you're not pounded by then, you can go downtown for more fun or hang out at Cold Garden til close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad