4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Will check it out Monday. Thanks, man. You don't need USB for it, right? Looks like you can just download to the TV like normal.

Nope, you need a USB Stick or wait. I checked and it said no update available. Eventually, I hear, it will update. If you want it right away you are probably gonna need to do it manually. I didn't even check until day 3, so it had plenty of time to check their servers.

That's why I mentioned it in the first place. If your TV was just gonna do it the whole letting you know is kinda moot.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nope, you need a USB Stick or wait. I checked and it said no update available. Eventually, I hear, it will update. If you want it right away you are probably gonna need to do it manually. I didn't even check until day 3, so it had plenty of time to check their servers.

That's why I mentioned it in the first place. If your TV was just gonna do it the whole letting you know is kinda moot.

Weird. Yeah, I had looked up on LG’s site and they mention the TV should auto-update. Will definitely take a look at going the USB route if that’s the case, though.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Weird. Yeah, I had looked up on LG’s site and they mention the TV should auto-update. Will definitely take a look at going the USB route if that’s the case, though.

I found out by reading up on the TV at AVS Forums before I even bought it. A lot of good info there. I read like the last 10 pages just to get a feel of what people were experiencing / asking. It's a question asked a lot because the updates often take a long time to be rolled out and news of new updates for AV equipment are usually posted same day on AVS. The latest update is only a few weeks old and most people have been updating manually.

You might want to check out AVS Owners Thread Here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html

Also, reddit talks about a problem that was caused by the previous update. I don't have this problem as far as I can tell and while the new update doesn't fix the problem discussed, maybe it doesn't include the part of the previous update that caused the problem.

So here's the latest and greatest... LG just release a NEW firmware on their US website (4.70.30)... not downloadable from the TV yet... but can be applied via the USB port. It supposedly "improves Dolby HDR HDMI True Motion Off Condition Screen Breaking Issue"... however, it did NOT fix the issue that was introduced with their last firmware release! (I wish that we could downgrade to the 3.x.x release that actually worked!) At least it appears that LG is releasing firmware within a month... I'm not a happy camper (and I'm pretty certain that LG lost sales over this period... I know a couple of colleagues that went for Samsung QLED because of the LG issue). LG, do you ever check the various forums for comments? (It seems that there is a breakdown in communications between your customer service and tech support organizations.)

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
I was looking at the 55” 900E when it was $1,600 then got it for $1,300 from Best Buy on Black Friday

How are you liking the 900e? I'm having a hard time deciding between it and the LG B7 Oled (65"). While I find the off angle viewing and dolby vision attractive on the LG, the $1000 saving on the Sony is making it a tough choice.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
How are you liking the 900e? I'm having a hard time deciding between it and the LG B7 Oled (65"). While I find the off angle viewing and dolby vision attractive on the LG, the $1000 saving on the Sony is making it a tough choice.

I am loving it so far, especially when I'm using my Xbox One X games look incredible.

I had a Sony 55W800B that I was using in my living room previously and the picture is definitely a huge upgrade, I didn't look at many OLED's so I am not sure how much of a difference there would be, but I am definitely more than happy so far with the 900E.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California

I am loving it so far, especially when I'm using my Xbox One X games look incredible.

I had a Sony 55W800B that I was using in my living room previously and the picture is definitely a huge upgrade, I didn't look at many OLED's so I am not sure how much of a difference there would be, but I am definitely more than happy so far with the 900E.

Same with mine. My first 4K TV and wish I had done it last year. Instantly worth it seeing the quality in picture from Netflix shows, 4K movies and using my PS4 Pro. Loving the quality.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Best Buy's Boxing Day flyer was just released.
What would you guys recommend out of the following:

Samsung 55" 4K UHD HDR Curved LED Tizen Smart TV (UN55MU7600FXZC) - $899

Samsung 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR LED Tizen Smart TV (UN55MU6290FXZC) - $699

Samsung 58" 4K UHD HDR LED Tizen Smart TV (UN58MU6100FXZC) - $750

Samsung 55" 4K UHD HDR LED Tizen Smart TV (UN55MU8000FXZC) - $1,200

Sony 55" 4K UHD LED HDR Android Smart TV (XBR55X800E) - $999

Sony 55" 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV (XBR55X900E) - $1,299

Sony 55" 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV (KD55X720E) - $899

Samsung 50" 4K UHD HDR LED Tizen Smart TV (UN50MU6070FXZC) - $599

LG 55" 4K UHD HDR LED webOS 3.5 Smart TV (55UJ7700) - $899

What is the best deal? I don't have a fixed price, but ideally $800-$1,000 would be my upper limit, unless there is a huge gap in the $1,200 ones. I remember reading positive reviews of the Sony 900E in this thread, is it the best out of this list?

I'll mainly use it for watching hockey, movies/Netflix, and gaming on my Xbox One.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Far and away the best one on the list. However it's currently on Amazon at $1,000 USD. So I wouldn't wait.

I quoted Canadian prices, my bad.
Good to know though, thanks for the reply. I checked and it's $1,600 CAD on Amazon :\

I didn't bother posting the Sharp 4K TVs because I heard they are garbage.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Sounds like they're giving you guys the same price we have in the US for Boxing Day then, that's the best deal we should be expecting on the 900E until inventory is cleared for the new models next spring/summer. Even then I doubt it goes much lower, if at all.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Just got my new 49" LG 4K UHD tv for signing up with Telus Optik, set it up last night and was playing around with the settings, any suggestions ? Modes to turn on/off, TruMotion, Noise Reduction etc etc..

Used mostly for watching movies/hockey/UFC.

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
Ended up selling my vizio m65 (decent tv) and ended up getting the LG b7 65" over the 900e (due to viewing angle). What a stellar set

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just bought the Sony 55" 4k 900e. So excited to try this bad boy out once it gets shipped to me in the new year.

I also bought a dinky soundbar, it was so cheap and had decent reviews so I figured it would be worth the gamble. It's the Toshiba TY-WSB600 60-Watt 2.1 Channel Sound Bar with Subwoofer, it was $120 off and was only $120 so why not. In my experiences, flatscreen TVs have pretty terrible audio. I know surround sound is the way to go, but for a cheap purchase, I figured the soundbar wasn't the worst option.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Mantelmounts are a little pricey, but they are solid and I'm a fan of mine, especially if you're thinking about mounting it over a fireplace (I have a pull-down mount since my fireplace is a little tall). The one I have supports up to 90" TVs.

I checked out the Mantelmount and picked one up. So far, I love it. Being able to have the soundbar out of the way, along with pulling down/tilting the television for wherever I'm sitting is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just got the x900e as well (49''), and it's fantastic. The only minor imperfection is a slightly laggy Android TV interface, but other than that, it's flawless for the price, IMO.

Reactions: Virtanen18

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

MicroLED sounds very promising. No burn in or color degradation (I didn't even know this about OLED) and just as good contrast

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Picked up a cheap vizio 4k (55in for 500 USD) that was fine for TV but I noticed bland colors with video games & movies, then I looked into reviews (Should have done that first...): anyone looking at a reasonable 4k (~1000) should look at the TCL 6 Series. I got the 65 in at Best Buy for $970 and its wonderful; reviews put it up with the "name" TVs in the 1600 - 2000 range, and I believe it. Really, really happy with it. And its got Roku built in so I can use Prime/Netflix/HBO Now (and others I'm sure) right from the TV remote instead of using a fire stick like I did for the other one (which didn't offer an HBO Now app).

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I moved in the spring and needed a new TV. Luckily was able to get one of the last Sony 55" x900e's on sale, I'm guessing the new model was being phased in. According to the Best Buy site there was only one available in-store within an hour of Montreal and I nabbed it.

Really happy with it so far. It seemed to be the hot recommendation on gaming forums.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I've had my LG OLED for a while, now. I have to admit that there has been minimal if any burn-in (and I keep on CNN quite frequently). The quality of the picture is just phenomenal. The price at the time was really damn good, too. Love this TV thus far. Now I hope that my upcoming move doesn't see it damaged . . .

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Lol I have an HDTV from 2008 or 2009....
40 ' 1080P from Samsung.
Not smart not 4K
Refresh rate is 60... some image retention

Has a cute burn in the bottom right corner, it looks like the misty mountains.

But hey it's still working

Reactions: SniperHF

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Our 50" 4K Sony from 2016 suddenly stopped working a couple of days ago. It wouldn't boot up or even display any picture whatsoever. I tried everything--unplugging it, replacing the HDMI cable, trying other input types, performing a factory reset and even opening it up and checking for loose connections--and had to declare it in need of repair. We accidentally turned it on with the remote this morning and, surprise, it suddenly worked and now acts like nothing was ever wrong with it.

I do like smart TVs, but there's still something to be said for older, "dumb" TVs that didn't need to "boot" up. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have an older TV that's reliable. I wouldn't be in any rush to replace one that still serves you well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Power Man

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Lol I have an HDTV from 2008 or 2009....
40 ' 1080P from Samsung.
Not smart not 4K
Refresh rate is 60... some image retention

Has a cute burn in the bottom right corner, it looks like the misty mountains.

But hey it's still working

I have one in my bedroom. Panasonic 720p 42 inch plasma from 2007. Still works like a charm and zero burn in!

I have a 2014 LG 55 inch 1080p dumb tv in the living room too and it has zero problems.

Do they make dumb TVs anymore? I see zero point in owning a smart tv for myself since I have an Apple TV and a game system for apps. I’d rsther spend less money and skip the smart tv features but I feel like there aren’t dumb TVs anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->