Signing(s): 49ers sign Jerrick McKinnon

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, the money being thrown around this offseason is insane.
It's the NFL...these deals aren't guaranteed, if it doesn't work out they cut them and absorb the loss.

McKinnon is probably a better fit than Hyde for Kyle Shannahan's offense.

But as a Niners fan, I always liked Hyde...i'm a bit weary of going into a season with McKinnon/Breida as the HB tandem, but they'll probably add another HB at the draft.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
McKinnon is a better receiver, athlete and pass blocker than Hyde. Running back value is about what you can do in the passing game. With Joose and McKinnon, they have match up players out of the backfield.

Reactions: SnS

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
San Fran's really changing their team. Hopefully McKinnon fits in well. Nothing wrong with trying to improve when you've the money and cap, although this signing probably impacts Duke Johnson's number more than I'd like.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Pffft. Terrible signing cause reasons.

I don't blame people for being shocked at the money. It makes more sense if you realize that the position has changed. What makes Bell and Gurley great? It's the added value as a receiver. Same with Kamara and McCaffery. McKinnon has pedestrian running production. I think his one cut and go style is a better fit for Shanahan's zone scheme.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Happy to see McKinnon get paid. He's a good player and everyone on the Vikings loved him. He should be a good fit with the Niners.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I knew he was going to be priced out of Minnesota, but 30m? Jesus.

This in a way reminds me of when Mewelde Moore left for Pittsburgh because he was stuck behind Peterson and Taylor (Cook and Murray) although McKinnon saw more snaps and probably a better player than Moore.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't blame people for being shocked at the money. It makes more sense if you realize that the position has changed. What makes Bell and Gurley great? It's the added value as a receiver. Same with Kamara and McCaffery. McKinnon has pedestrian running production. I think his one cut and go style is a better fit for Shanahan's zone scheme.

Pretty much all RB can swing to the flat and catch a pass when there isn’t someone within a year of them and or run up in between the tackles turn around and catch a pass.

It is an added talent to line up wide as a RB and run a route when matched up against a LB or S.

But for that amount of money, you need more than a 3rd down production. See how they end up using him in the run game. Probably have to target a bigger back in the draft to complement his game.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Pretty much all RB can swing to the flat and catch a pass when there isn’t someone within a year of them and or run up in between the tackles turn around and catch a pass.

It is an added talent to line up wide as a RB and run a route when matched up against a LB or S.

But for that amount of money, you need more than a 3rd down production. See how they end up using him in the run game. Probably have to target a bigger back in the draft to complement his game.

It's like you don't know how those backs were utilized. First off Shanahan values skillsets and athleticism over all. They don't need a big back. And no, all running backs can't do that. You should probably watch more football. You'll learn that running backs aren't used like it's 1970 anymore.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The Cheetah and The Jet.

Attachments

• DYRzm3mVQAAw42g.jpg
    DYRzm3mVQAAw42g.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 11

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think McKinnon is worth $30m, but they'll probably make him look as much.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Kyle Shanahan on addition of Jerick McKinnon: “He’s an issue for teams”

Shanahan really likes McKinnon and I think he's going to have a big year. He's expensive but most people probably won't be talking about his contract after next season. He was impressive under Shurmur last season and Shanahan will take it to another level.

Plus when Joose and Jet are in the same backfield, the 49ers have the most versatile 21 personnel in the league. Defense is in base, they can spread out and get mismatches against LB's. Defense is in nickel, they can line up and pound the rock. What a headache for DC's.

Reactions: Avs_19

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
That contract is horrendous, but McKinnon IMO has always been a better player than his stats showed. I've always wanted to see him get a real chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad