GAME #49 - 01/23/2018

vs
NYR: 24-19-5_____________ANA: 22-17-9

TIME | 10:00 PM ET
VENUE | HONDA CENTER - ANAHEIM, CA
TV | MSG, FS-PRIME

ONLINE STREAMS: NOT ALLOWED | RADIO FEED: CLICK HERE

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; ANA@NYR 12/19/17 - NHL.com - RANGERS.com - DUCKS.com
NY Post - NYDN - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN - CBC - SNET - TSN

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

aroundtheleague.png

JANUARY SCHEDULE:

januaryschedule.png

QUOTES TO NOTE:

Obviously you don’t have to be very bright to find out why we lost this one.
We just couldn’t get it done on our penalty kill, and I’m a big part of that, obviously.
I have to work even harder to try to find the puck.
- Henrik Lundqvist

It’s a frustrating one. That like a hard-fought game, a playoff-style game right there.
- J.T. Miller

Not crazy about Smithty’s penalty.
But our PK, that had been a real good weapon for us. Tonight it let us down.
- Alain Vigneault

___________________________________​

TEAM STATS:

GP | 48 | GF | 131
W | 22 | GA | 135
L | 17 | GF/G | 2.69
OTL | 9 | GA/G | 2.71
Pts | 53 | PIM/G | 11:09
HOME | 12-9-3 | PP% | 17.1
AWAY | 10-8-6 | PK% |82.6
L10 | 6-3-1 | FO% | 51.2
STREAK | L1 | S/O | 2-5

Division | 5th
Conference | 11th
League | 19th

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Rickard Rakell | 17
Assists | Ryan Getzlaf | 23
Points | Rickard Rakell | 35
+ / - | Josh Manson | +21
Shots | Rickard Rakell | 125
Hits | Chris Wagner | 158
Blocks | Francois Beauchemin | 81
PIM | Kevin Bieksa | 70
FO% | Antoine Vermette | 59.9
TOI/G F: | Ryan Getzlaf | 20:49
TOI/G D: | Cam Fowler | 24:10

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
RAKELL | GETZLAF (C) | PERRY (A)
COGLIANO | KESLER (A) | SILFVERBERG
RITCHIE | HENRIQUE | KASE
WAGNER | VERMETTE | BROWN

LD | RD
FOWLER | BIEKSA
LINDHOLM | MANSON
BEAUCHEMIN | MONTOUR

Scratched
HOLZER
GRANT
BOLL

STARTING GOALIE:

Gibson-John4.png

John Gibson
GPI: 37 | W: 16 | L: 14 | OT: 5 | PIM: 0
SV% .920 | GAA: 2.67 | SA: 1181 | GA: 94 | SO: 1

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

Mike Liambas | Upper body (IR)
Patrick Eaves | Muscle weakness (IR)

TEAM STATS:

GP | 48 | GF | 144
W | 23 | GA | 140
L | 19 | GF/G | 2.94
OTL | 5 | GA/G | 2.83
Pts | 53 | PIM/G | 7:54
HOME | 17-8-3 | PP% | 19.6
AWAY | 7-11-2 | PK% |82.1
L10 | 4-6-0 | FO% | 50.5
STREAK | L2 | S/O | 3-4

Division | 5th
Conference | 8th
League | 18th

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Michael Grabner | 20
Assists | Mats Zuccarello | 26
Points | Mats Zuccarello | 34
+ / - | Michael Grabner | +14
Shots | Rick Nash | 149
Hits | Nick Holden | 89
Blocks | Ryan McDonagh | 113
PIM | Brendan Smith | 61
FO% | David Desharnais | 55.7
TOI/G F: | Mats Zuccarello | 18:56
TOI/G D: | Ryan McDonagh | 23:54

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
NASH (A) | ZIBANEJAD | BUCHNEVICH
VESEY | MILLER | ZUCCARELLO (A)
GRABNER | HOLLAND | FAST
CAREY | DESHARNAIS | LETTIERI

LD | RD
MCDONAGH (C) | HOLDEN
SKJEI | STAAL (A)
SMITH | DEANGELO

Scratched
CATENACCI
KAMPFER

STARTING GOALIE:

LundqvistHenrik2.png

Henrik Lundqvist
GPI: 41 | W: 21 | L: 13 | OT: 4 | PIM: 0
SV% .924 | GAA: 2.55 | SA: 1309 | GA: 100 | SO: 2

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

Kevin Hayes | Lower body (DTD)
Kevin Shattenkirk | Knee (IR)
Chris Kreider | Blood clot (IR)

zuccjumpck.gif

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
VESEY | MILLER | ZUCCARELLO (A)
GRABNER | HOLLAND | FAST
CAREY | DESHARNAIS | LETTIERI

The bolded are barely, or not NHL players at all. This team cant carry one injury, let alone 3.

Cmon now. Vesey, Carey and Lettieri are legit bottom 6 players don’t exaggerate. We will lose tonight because Staal is playing and McD is in the PP

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Cmon now. Vesey, Carey and Lettieri are legit bottom 6 players don’t exaggerate. We will lose tonight because Staal is playing and McD is in the PP

Vesey is at least an NHLer but where he finds his niche long term is up in the air. He’s probably too good to be a career 4th liner but long term do you really want him in your top 9? He’ll probably end up being a journeyman depth forward. He’s definitely good enough for our current top 9 but is he good enough for us to want him to be a long term fixture there? Once we’re a better team, I doubt it.

Carey is nearly 30 and has 67 NHL games. He’s been good this year for us but he will likely be looking to “cash in” on his first productive year as an NHLer and everything he brings can be provided from a call up so it makes no sense to give him 2-3 years at 1.25M or whatever he asks for, especially when there is no guaranteeing he will replicate the season he had as a 29 year old where he finally became an NHLer. IMO he’s as good as gone this off season because someone will give him over 1M and there’s just no reason for us to. We have Carey’s in the system.

Lettieri has not had any complaints from me so far but he’s play 10 games. Having a few points and hustling hard in a 10 game cup of coffee doesn’t make you a legit full time NHLer. I think he’ll be an effective 4th liner who can slot up when injuries hit, but people are already penciling him in as a full time third liner for the future and he has not proven anything yet. He could just as easily fizzle out and become an up and down AHL call up as he could prove to be a legitimate NHLer. Same goes for Nieves, who is currently down and I thought he had proven more. He just didn’t have Lettieri’s shot, which we need right now.

Holland and Desharnais, at this point in his career, are fringe NHLers as well. Desharnais is actually the most legitimate NHLer of the bunch.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
At the very least, what I want is for the coach to play his better players more than his worse players. Is that too much to ask?

If we're losing by 1 late in the third stop putting the 3rd and 4th lines out there with under 3 minutes left.

If we're down by 1 and the goalie pulled don't put Holden out there and if there's a whistle with under 20 seconds left, don't take our best players off and put out Desharnais and his crew. They're pro athletes, even if they're gassed they can dig deep for enough energy to win a faceoff and make a play towards the net. They don't need to come off. Stop doing that. Two games in a row, the same bonehead coaching. It's just ridiculous. No other team in the entire league would take off their best players with 11 seconds left and 23 seconds left and an offensive zone faceoff with the goalie pulled trailing by 1 to put out a mishmash of 2nd and 3rd liners. The Pens aren't taking off Crosby-Malkin-Kessel to put out Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust just because they're rested. There's 11 seconds left.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Watching highlights of the NYR vs Buf game 6 (Lost at home but one of the most rabid crowds I've ever heard), some 2011, 2012, 2014 highlights. The energy those guys had, the personalities, the comraderie. They fought and died for each other out there and they overachieved as a result. Now?

I despise what AV has done to this team. There's no energy, no enthusiasm, nothing to look forward to. I feel nothing about this game or this season. He's destroyed what this franchise worked so hard to become: A true contender and team. T

They went from what, 100+ games without choking away a 3rd period lead, coming back from 3-1 down in series to now they blow series and leads like it's trendy. They went from getting in other team's faces, laying hits, blocking shots to now they just play grabass and cede the blue line. At least grabner gets more breakaways in this system.

Last edited:

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Watching highlights of the NYR vs Buf game 6 (Lost at home but one of the most rabid crowds I've ever heard), some 2011, 2012, 2014 highlights. The energy those guys had, the personalities, the comraderie. They fought and died for each other out there and they overachieved as a result. Now?

I despise what AV has done to this team. There's no energy, no enthusiasm, nothing to look forward to. I feel nothing about this game or this season. He's destroyed what this franchise worked so hard to become: A true contender and team. T

They went from what, 100+ games without choking away a 3rd period lead, coming back from 3-1 down in series to now they blow series and leads like it's trendy. They went from getting in other team's faces, laying hits, blocking shots to now they just play grabass and cede the blue line. At least grabner gets more breakaways in this system.

One of the best posts I’ve ever read

Reactions: shinchanyo

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

one of the best posts this season. No emotions from this group at all.

Reactions: shinchanyo

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

This mix of players just seems incredibly stale to me. Could have something to do with getting so close the last few years and coming up short.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Agree with this. I'll just make one point though, it was AV's team that came back from down 3-1. If you're saying you don't like what' he's done as his tenure has gone on (i.e., particularly in the last few seasons), then I agree with you 100%. I will always respect and love AV for what he did in 13-14 and 14-15 though.

He hasn't adapted since then. His shelf life has expired.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Agree with this. I'll just make one point though, it was AV's team that came back from down 3-1. If you're saying you don't like what' he's done as his tenure has gone on (i.e., particularly in the last few seasons), then I agree with you 100%. I will always respect and love AV for what he did in 13-14 and 14-15 though.

He hasn't adapted since then. His shelf life has expired.
But isn't this identical to what happened in Vancouver. Got to the show stayed high in the standings for a while never won team gave up on him and he got run out of town. I mean the guys got m.o. here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad