Post-Game Talk: #47 - 01/20/18 | rangers @ avalanche | 3:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I propose A McD/ADA pairing. Let’s see what he’s got. Plus it’ll free him up to join the rush more
They were together for a couple games earlier in the year and they dominated in the fancy stats and eye test... Then AV wanted to force Holden into the lineup again and ADA was moved to the 7th D going 11-7 then ADA was in hartford

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I think the problem with McD is his conditioning. He's hitting that age where drinking 3 Monster's a game ain't gonna cut it anymore

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So you are a linguist, then?

That's not zero impact. He is present and able-bodied, yet his inaction directly contributes to the boat sinking. Negative impact.

Now who’s talking semantics? Although you might want a better definition of “directly” than that.

My point wasn’t that I am a linguist (though I am fascinated by linguistics and have made some amateur study in the area). It’s that you were being unnecessarily dickish.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Some fans are funny. They say the coach is a moron and the personnel is putrid, yet somehow they remain in the thick of it.

Granted, Hank is playing very well, but that can't be the only reason.

Then we subtract Kreider, Hayes, Grabner, and Staal, and they essentially lose a 1-goal game on the road against the hottest team in the league and these same fans are incredulous that the Rangers lost.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think the problem with McD is his conditioning. He's hitting that age where drinking 3 Monster's a game ain't gonna cut it anymore
Idk, from all the reports over the years in the offseasons it's been said that McDonagh trains like an animal and is always at the top of the team's physical fitness testing.

The team even sent Skjei to train with him over the summer because of this.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Some fans are funny. They say the coach is a moron and the personnel is putrid, yet somehow they remain in the thick of it.

Then we subtract Kreider, Hayes, Grabner, and Staal, and they essentially lose a 1-goal game on the road against the hottest team in the league and these same fans are incredulous that the Rangers lost.
For me, the frustration comes from where the bulk of my frustrations with AV have come: player deployment and usage.

Sure, you have injuries and as a result have subpar players in the lineup, but that doesn't mean you need to ride them. Sure, Steve Kampfer has to be in, but should he be out there with 2 minutes left trailing? Ditto for Carey, Holland and Catenacci. Why is Holden out with the goalie pulled instead of Skjei or DeAngelo? Zibanejad is taking the faceoff, so why not have McDonagh at the right point, DeAngelo at the left point (where Shatty would've been) for his RH shot to slide out for a one timer or at least draw attention for the threat?

If the team was trailing in the past AV would have no problem benching Buchnevich or Miller, in past years, in the 3rd period to try and roll what is working, but for some reason he didn't do that tonight with our bottom two lines. I know it's a back to back situation AND playing in Denver, but he should've cut the bench down for the last 7 or so minutes. Holland's line and Kampfer should not have been out there with under 3 minutes left.

Also, why did he change the forward line with 11 seconds left? It's 11 seconds, was the top unit that exhausted that Zibanejad couldn't have won the faceoff back and they couldn't put a puck on net from the point? If that's the Penguins and their Crosby, Malkin, Kessel unit is out pressing with the goalie pulled for a minute like our 1st unit was and they get a whistle in the O zone with 11 seconds left, is Sullivan taking them off?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

At first I thought you were referring to the fact that most people didn't expect to win this game, yet everyone was pissed after losing. :laugh:

Lundqvist was amazing, Buchnevich made some electrifying plays, Lettieri and DeAngelo did some cool stuff. Holland I think has been fine, Idk, maybe there was something egregious I missed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The rangers could trade...
Grabner
Nash
McD
Zucc
Holden
Vesey
DD

And get back nothing but picks...and still ice the following team next year...

Kzb
? Hayes ?
Miller andersson chytil
Carey boo fasth

That's assuming the 2 kids are ready..that's just two top 9 players they need to add via ufa

Skjei Smith
Staal shattenkirk
? Ada

Theyd need to add 1 3rd pair defenseman who shoots left preferably or a right handed defenseman..pionk?and shift Smith to the left.

Worst case scenario their have like 20 million bucks to fill in 5 spots if chytil and lias aren't ready.

Fire av. Hire a coach that plays the lab like 25 mins a night and your have a competent team and a boatload of assets and cap space.

They woudlnt have to bottom out...and could still develop a ton of talent...

That's with getting back nothing but draft picks.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

I don’t think anyone is incredulous that the Rangers lost. I think with this number of injuries and a hot opponent on the road, Rangers fans expect to lose this game. I think what people are incredulous at is the fact that Hank continues to keep us mercifully close in games we’re getting badly outplayed in and then our coach, rather than seizing on the opportunity to STEAL these games that we shouldn’t have any business being in, let alone winning, throws out Holland Catenacci and Smith/Kampfer with less than two minutes left and an empty net.

I think the incredulity comes from is having as many injuries as we do and STILL seeing such low TOI numbers for guys like Buchnevich while we see Kampfer, Holden, Smith, Kampfer, Kampfer, Kampfer, Smith every goddam other shift. Henrik Lundqvist has something like a .936 save percentage since December 1st through 18 games and yet we are 9-6-2 over that stretch. That’s an otherworldly save percentage for an 18 game stretch and essentially a .500 record. I think the incredulity comes from having our 35 year old goalie play hockey that could rival the best stretch of his career and earn something like a 15-2-1 record on another team squandered by piss poor coaching, effort and just a lackluster team, which unfortunately has now been struck by the injury bug as well.

But injuries are far from the sole blame and to say so would be ridiculous. Lundqvist could be on a damn near 18 game winning streak with the way he’s played. If he wasn’t in god mode we’d be in a lottery spot.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Are you insinuating their ridiculous opinions are false?

Ha!

Good luck with that sell sir...

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Grabner
Nash
McD
Zucc
Holden
Vesey
DD

Kzb
? Hayes ?
Miller andersson chytil
Carey boo fasth

That's assuming the 2 kids are ready..that's just two top 9 players they need to add via ufa

Skjei Smith
Staal shattenkirk
? Ada

Theyd need to add 1 3rd pair defenseman who shoots left preferably or a right handed defenseman..pionk?and shift Smith to the left.

Worst case scenario their have like 20 million bucks to fill in 5 spots if chytil and lias aren't ready.

Fire av. Hire a coach that plays the lab like 25 mins a night and your have a competent team and a boatload of assets and cap space.

Holy shit!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Grabner
Nash
McD
Zucc
Holden
Vesey
DD

Kzb
? Hayes ?
Miller andersson chytil
Carey boo fasth

Skjei Smith
Staal shattenkirk
? Ada

Holy shit!

Fire AV? No way!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Grabner
Nash
McD
Zucc
Holden
Vesey
DD

Kzb
? Hayes ?
Miller andersson chytil
Carey boo fasth

Skjei Smith
Staal shattenkirk
? Ada

That Skjei-Smith top pairing already gave me a disease.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Grabner
Nash
McD
Zucc
Holden
Vesey
DD

Kzb
? Hayes ?
Miller andersson chytil
Carey boo fasth

Skjei Smith
Staal shattenkirk
? Ada

That's an interesting roster.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Grabner
Nash
McD
Zucc
Holden
Vesey
DD

Kzb
? Hayes ?
Miller andersson chytil
Carey boo fasth

Skjei Smith
Staal shattenkirk
? Ada

And the beauty of it is, all of the excuses to actually do this are now in place. No one would question them for doing this with all of these injuries. Just f***ing do it already. Play the youth for the rest of the season and get a head start. This is a no f***ing brainer.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Grabner
Nash
McD
Zucc
Holden
Vesey
DD

Kzb
? Hayes ?
Miller andersson chytil
Carey boo fasth

Skjei Smith
Staal shattenkirk
? Ada

Honest to god it’s this simple. Only problem is Hank holding this up.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
And don’t anyone complain that trading McD and Holden ruins our defense. Our defense is already putrid

Reactions: Inferno

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
For me, the frustration comes from where the bulk of my frustrations with AV have come: player deployment and usage.

Sure, you have injuries and as a result have subpar players in the lineup, but that doesn't mean you need to ride them. Sure, Steve Kampfer has to be in, but should he be out there with 2 minutes left trailing? Ditto for Carey, Holland and Catenacci. Why is Holden out with the goalie pulled instead of Skjei or DeAngelo? Zibanejad is taking the faceoff, so why not have McDonagh at the right point, DeAngelo at the left point (where Shatty would've been) for his RH shot to slide out for a one timer or at least draw attention for the threat?

If the team was trailing in the past AV would have no problem benching Buchnevich or Miller, in past years, in the 3rd period to try and roll what is working, but for some reason he didn't do that tonight with our bottom two lines. I know it's a back to back situation AND playing in Denver, but he should've cut the bench down for the last 7 or so minutes. Holland's line and Kampfer should not have been out there with under 3 minutes left.

Also, why did he change the forward line with 11 seconds left? It's 11 seconds, was the top unit that exhausted that Zibanejad couldn't have won the faceoff back and they couldn't put a puck on net from the point? If that's the Penguins and their Crosby, Malkin, Kessel unit is out pressing with the goalie pulled for a minute like our 1st unit was and they get a whistle in the O zone with 11 seconds left, is Sullivan taking them off?

So, the reason they lost is because of a line change with 11 seconds to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad