Prospect Info: William Strömgren 45th Overall (2021)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
no usually we go medium skills medium IQ horrible skating

You're forgetting to mention they often score a Ten for tenacity with management.

I like the talent but the Flames' European development has been underwhelming. A guy like Tuulola shouldn't have fizzled out

We do Euro development? I'd argue its the AHL development that needs a bit of overhaul, no? (and from what I understand, it is being worked on and improved, but still a bit of a work in progress.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Can anyone tell me about Stromgren's season?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Considering his scoring was down from last year, pretty poorly I'd have to say

Yeah I saw his stat line, I was wondering if any Flames fans here could shed some light on his season in a little more detail.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kind of wonder if the 2021 draft might be one of those ones you look back at 6-7 years from now and see a bunch of guys drafted in the top 90 that panned out to being absolutely nothing, while a number of guys picked late in the draft end up doing some great things. That was a draft scouted at the level of drafting 20-30 years ago+.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't think you can underestimate the impact that Covid had on the ability of teams to actually scout talent - lots of these guys played fewer than 20 games in their draft year.

Pretty sure the consensus around here was Raty should have been taken at #2. I may be mis-remembering.

I'm not unhappy with Stromgren as a pick though, way too soon to write him off completely.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Really wish we drafted stankoven last year. Wanted him badly.

But ya. We drafted for size with those 2 picks and it has backfired.

To my understanding. Stankoven did not interview well, like at all. I heard he was borderline to not draft for some teams. Take it with a grain of salt though, as it is second hand.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think you can underestimate the impact that Covid had on the ability of teams to actually scout talent - lots of these guys played fewer than 20 games in their draft year.

Pretty sure the consensus around here was Raty should have been taken at #2. I may be mis-remembering.

I'm not unhappy with Stromgren as a pick though, way too soon to write him off completely.

I think early on he was considered a top prospect, and then fell like a stone after a really poor year in 2021.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Really wish we drafted stankoven last year. Wanted him badly.

But ya. We drafted for size with those 2 picks and it has backfired.
Stankoven was the obvious pick there. Right in our backyard too. How we didn't take him is beyond me. I would have been ok with Raty or Knies just for the boom potential too even though they were riskier picks.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Stankoven was the obvious pick there. Right in our backyard too. How we didn't take him is beyond me. I would have been ok with Raty or Knies just for the boom potential too even though they were riskier picks.
Instead we drafted "safe" and for size and its looked like a shit pick so far.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We did the same thing in 2014. Took Hunter Smith when anyone who watched Brayden Point play once could tell you he would be a 2nd line center in the NHL. Turns out he was a franchise center, but it was obvious he would be a 2nd line center.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Just because a guy is big doesn't mean he was drafted to be safe/just for his size. He is/was a skill guy that, per scouting reports, had a strong profile in part due to skating and puckhandling. One down year (on a team that hardly plays rookies at the top level) is in no way a reason to dismiss the pick as shitty. Especially one year out from the draft.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just because a guy is big doesn't mean he was drafted to be safe/just for his size. He is/was a skill guy that, per scouting reports, had a strong profile in part due to skating and puckhandling. One down year (on a team that hardly plays rookies at the top level) is in no way a reason to dismiss the pick as shitty. Especially one year out from the draft.
The fact he’s still playing at the junior level in Sweden rather than the SHL or even alveskan tells me he hasn’t progressed enough. Players who regress in their d+1 year typically don’t have a very good chance at an nhl trajectory.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The fact he’s still playing at the junior level in Sweden rather than the SHL or even alveskan tells me he hasn’t progressed enough. Players who regress in their d+1 year typically don’t have a very good chance at an nhl trajectory.
Agreed, the only one I remember panning out for us after seeing no progress was Andersson. He didn't regress either, just showed no progression and had much better numbers than Stromgren.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

There is a ton of politics over there, and he did get in some games with the big club. I wouldn't mind seeing him come over to NA.

His season was certainly very underwhelming but he was a project pick and is just a few months older than some players in the draft today (three months older than the Oilers first round pick for example).

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There is a ton of politics over there, and he did get in some games with the big club.

His season was certainly very underwhelming but he was a project pick and is just a few months older than some players in the draft today.
He had half a dozen games in the SHL or something? There might be politicking, but regressing at the Swedish junior level isn’t a good sign… especially when players who weren’t good enough to be drafted are outproducing said player.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So he's getting the Oliver Kylington treatment. :P

Would have been nice to see him jump to the AHL sooner than later and get a better read on his skillset, but sounds like he's spending another season overseas.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He had half a dozen games in the SHL or something? There might be politicking, but regressing at the Swedish junior level isn’t a good sign… especially when players who weren’t good enough to be drafted are outproducing said player.

Yeah, I don't know. There could be many reasons why he struggled that we as fans aren't privy to. He was one of the youngest players in his draft year and has extremely raw tools. Give him more time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00