Prospect Info: #43OA - C/LW Janne Kuokkanen - Karpat, FIN (traded to NJ)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The dummies need to stop producing elite young players and their roster wouldn't get raided like this.

Yeah but like.

It used to be like: "We wish to inform you, we have reserved the exclusive negotiation rights for this player for NHL purposes, and look forward to try him out somewhere in our organization maybe in one of the coming years."

Now they're like: "This boy ours now. We send someone empty his locker."

LtnCastillo

Registered Driver
Oct 13, 2006
Helsinski
Some great Finnish music posted here for the fans of our new Finnish team. I'd find this classic rock group suitable right now (yes, Hurriganes (sic). Pretty close. :nod:)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This is one of the rare circumstances that I feel like leaving the player in Europe is the right answer. Proximity to the prospect is really a big deal. Having access to these kids during the year to check in on them, talk to their coaches, etc. is just so important at this stage of development. You want them in North America getting used to the lifestyle and culture change, too. But with out relationship with Karpat and Pitkanen obviously hovering around that general area, it's a comfortable situation. Especially with Aho just having done it last year. Why fix it?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This is one of the rare circumstances that I feel like leaving the player in Europe is the right answer. Proximity to the prospect is really a big deal. Having access to these kids during the year to check in on them, talk to their coaches, etc. is just so important at this stage of development. You want them in North America getting used to the lifestyle and culture change, too. But with out relationship with Karpat and Pitkanen obviously hovering around that general area, it's a comfortable situation. Especially with Aho just having done it last year. Why fix it?

I thought I heard RF say that the team doesn't interject themselves into the decisions on whether a prospect should stay with their team in Europe or come to NA for juniors. Also, when asked about Sarela being in the AHL vs back in the Liiga, he said that for non-first rounders, the European club makes that choice per the CBA.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I doubt we're pushing him one way or another. JR likely would have pushed him to come over, but Francis has been in no rush to. And he did say that after the camps with the Canes they are pretty hands off. I think either way he'll be in a good situation. London is a great organization.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If it was any team other than London it would be a no-brainer for him to stay at Karpat. Either way he has a great opportunity.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If it was any team other than London it would be a no-brainer for him to stay at Karpat. Either way he has a great opportunity.

This is where I'm at. Karpat he's going to have a good shot at playing a key role for one of the best teams in the world at developing prospect talent while playing in one of the top leagues in the world.

Londong he's going to have a good at playing a key role for one of the best teams in the world at developing prospect talent while adapting to North American sized ice surfaces and style of play.

There's really no way to go wrong on this one.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I get that London is what it is, I just think he's better off against men back home for another year. I don't really want these guys "North Americanized". Finnish players tend to have a little grit to them naturally, and NA style of play emphasizes so much less skill. I like the idea of him cementing the skill into his game the way they do it over there. If he comes here too young I feel he's (and others like him) likely to play more like we do.

Aho blew the doors off so he gets his chance now, but if he hadn't I would've wanted him to stay yet another year to really cement how a pro does it there. They play good d and at times a physical style.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
That franchise is the Creme De La Creme as well. It should do nothing but help him.

KPSB_EastWest.jpg

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
A user on the OHL boards suggested this forward lineup after the news went out that London landed Kuokkanen and Roslovic:

Tkachuk-Kuokannen-Roslovic
Jones-Pu-Thomas
Yak-OMac-XXX

:amazed: I would love to see Kuokkanen get top line duties with the Knights. If Tkachuk doesn't end up with Calgary, he'd have excellent linemates. As much as I think Karpat is a great organization too, I prefer having him play with legit NHL 1st round talent on NHL-style ice. I'm 99% sure Christian Dvorak and Matthew Marner will make their NHL teams this year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I like watching the OHL Playoffs/Memorial Cup and I'm excited to see Kuokkanen potentially on the first line of a stacked London team (even without Marner/Dvorak).

My game viewings of Kuokkanen are limited to the U-18 and highlights, but I did look into him in-depth (as I'm sure many did, it was clear he was a candidate in the 2nd for us). He has a ton of confidence with the puck, a very high hockey IQ, and a solid 2-way game. Very similar to Aho. Really he should fit in nicely in the OHL. London brings the hype-train... If Roslovic commits then I could see Tkachuk-Kuokkanen-Roslovic being a nasty line. And I do believe that London is extremely high on Kuokkanen, I don't think he would have left Karpat to be a depth player in London. London talked a good game to get him over.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
A user on the OHL boards suggested this forward lineup after the news went out that London landed Kuokkanen and Roslovic:

Tkachuk-Kuokannen-Roslovic
Jones-Pu-Thomas
Yak-OMac-XXX

I think Roslovic will be their top line C. The only way Kuokkanen is on that line is at the wing. Maybe the Canes will try to get them to play him at C, in which case I'd see him as the 2C.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Still think it's a bad move, I think he was better playing pro in Finland.

I don't know about it anymore, the team and the situation is looking very different for next year.
Marjamaki is gone, Aho is gone, Nutivaara is gone, Pulju most likely gone.

I don't think it's a bad move to bring him to London, to elite developing team to show what it takes to make it in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad