42oa: Eetu Luostarinen C/KalPa, FEL

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
There was an opportunity about a month ago for Canes fans to submit questions for Ron Francis to answer in an interview with Mike Maniscalco. I sent 3 questions in, and Francis answered 2 of them. The question Francis didn't answer was essentially: "I know we have Robert Kron as a Euro scout, but do we plan on adding more European scouts in the future? We draft less European players than most teams in the league". I figured Francis wouldn't address this question, but I was legit curious.

I believe I inspired the entire Canes management to go ALL EUROPEAN this draft just to prove me wrong.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
There was an opportunity about a month ago for Canes fans to submit questions for Ron Francis to answer in an interview with Mike Maniscalco. I sent 3 questions in, and Francis answered 2 of them. The question Francis didn't answer was essentially: "I know we have Robert Kron as a Euro scout, but do we plan on adding more European scouts in the future? We draft less European players than most teams in the league". I figured Francis wouldn't address this question, but I was legit curious.

I believe I inspired the entire Canes management to go ALL EUROPEAN this draft just to prove me wrong.

Gotta wonder how much respect your Finnish scouts are gonna lose if none of these boys pan out.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think a lot of guide scouts focus heavily on international events. Loustarinen has never been invited.

Is that based on the assumption that each country knows better about their prospects than most scouts? Do we know who was invited instead of this prospect?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Is that based on the assumption that each country knows better about their prospects than most scouts? Do we know who was invited instead of this prospect?

IIHF selections are far from a sure bet. Staffs choose their guys and can leave out qualified candidates. Similar to USA with Faulk for the WC.

I think I saw recently that Finland was considering limiting its U17-U20 IIHF rosters to only players who are playing in Finland. Which would eliminate guys like Kuokkanen (for now) and Tolvanen.

I'm not saying they are right for doing it. Just saying that many resources put a lot of weight on these tournaments. For guys playing in diverse situations (CHL, USHL, Euro Pro leagues) it is the only level playing semi-level playing field (ice-size determined by location).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
IIHF selections are far from a sure bet. Staffs choose their guys and can leave out qualified candidates. Similar to USA with Faulk for the WC.

I think I saw recently that Finland was considering limiting its U17-U20 IIHF rosters to only players who are playing in Finland. Which would eliminate guys like Kuokkanen (for now) and Tolvanen.

I'm not saying they are right for doing it. Just saying that many resources put a lot of weight on these tournaments. For guys playing in diverse situations (CHL, USHL, Euro Pro leagues) it is the only level playing semi-level playing field (ice-size determined by location).

It's effective only on U16 and only with the three on-season tournaments, at this point at least, and I can't see the older junior classes being cut off, now that the respective WJCs became a thing for us. The given reason was that they can't do their new, more focused on-site cooperation with the foreign teams.

They are open to widening it to some extent, though, I believe.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So yes, he scored a goal and an assist in CHL and I feel bad that no one's really noting that as anything significant. His team came back from a 1-4 deficit to win 6-4 and he certainly played his part in the comeback. He is 18 years old, second rounder... He's just 2 months older than Elias Pettersson, for instance, despite having been drafted as an overager.

The goal:

https://streamable.com/ufgc7

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Word, good start for him. I'm pretty certain he's gonna be better than Aho. But I'm not gonna specifying which Aho.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Now that I have read more about this guy and watched some highlights I'm somewhat convinced that, although taken a bit early (I believe he would have been still available in 3rd or 4th round) he is a good prospect.

Reasons:

a) He is trending upwards nicely and given that his team isn't the deepest in the league, he will get good minutes in a pro league. FEL is a good place to develop as a player.

b) His toolbox looks solid, he has nice size and is definitely not a liability on ice. This means that he is not one of those "boom-or-bust" prospects who need some significant TOI in a top 6 role in order to know what they can do. Canes can let Luostarinen develop without hurry and after 3 years ease him into the lineup as a 4th liner. If he does well, promote. I see his upside as a more physical version of Valtteri Filppula (who was drafted by Detroit in 2002, but played in Finland until 05-06 when he came overseas, dominated in AHL and got a spot in Detroit's NHL roster for 06-07 season).

c) He can play any forward position, and developing him slowly will enable him to work on his centering skills. Defensively sound bottom 6 C with good IQ and some physicality is a good asset, even if he had stone hands. (See: Adam Lowry.)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He also scored again. Now 2 goals and an assist in 2 games in CHL.

Few if any 18-year-olds have been performing better.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I'm gonna laugh if Ron Francis and company do it again with this kid.

It was rather amusing that two years ago, people weren't excited about Aho, then loved it a year later when he panned out, and also celebrated the drafting of another Finn in the second round. This year, the 2nd-round Finn doesn't get any love.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
It was rather amusing that two years ago, people weren't excited about Aho, then loved it a year later when he panned out, and also celebrated the drafting of another Finn in the second round. This year, the 2nd-round Finn doesn't get any love.

I said "next Aho type pick"

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe that will be my new user name....2nd Round Finn....

Ah, the "Fool's Happiness" guy, if the Swedes are to be believed.

And why shouldn't they.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Logged almost 20 minutes against Tappara. He's been our number 1C in frst two games of the season and looked great. Right now he seems to be superior player compared to other two 2nd rounders of KalPa (Ikonen & Texier)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Logged almost 20 minutes against Tappara. He's been our number 1C in frst two games of the season and looked great. Right now he seems to be superior player compared to other two 2nd rounders of KalPa (Ikonen & Texier)

Glad to hear he is playing well.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I watched him more closely yesterday. His development has been promising.
Eetu Luostarinen | FinnProspects.com

Luostarinen got 17 minutes of ice time when he played as a first line center. He has developed well and has earned more responsibility as the season has progressed.
Compared to the situation one year ago, he plays a lot more with the puck. He has always been smart but his improved skating allows him to be more active. At the moment he is already above average skater by Liiga standards with good stride. However I don’t like his habit of making pretty wide turn before he starts accelerating. I would also like to see him going directly to the net more often.
Luostarinen plays active checking game which is effective thanks to his long reach. He could be more careful with his stick though. His play with the stick was often in grey area and he got slashing penalty during the game.
You should not expect fancy creative plays from Luostarinen but he is more than capable of playing quick and effective passing game. He is also reliable player in the own end always willing to help defense. Overall, his level of play is clearly better compared to the last season and his progress is very promising.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
He's Finnish, it's cool with me.

I always got the impression that fins are one of the few euro countries where their forwards do not shy away from physical play and usually adjust to the more physical North American game quickly. That or I am just used to Ruutu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->