4 teams are figthing for the 1st overall:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
GodZillaAteMyZamboni said:
That was some display of "effort" we saw last night. It was completely obvious which team wanted to lose.
Hmmm wanna check the points bagged by the Pens and Caps over the last two months?
Who's trying?
Who has an all star goalie on the bench and an ECHLer in nets?

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Evilo said:
Hmmm wanna check the points bagged by the Pens and Caps over the last two months?
Who's trying?
Sounds like proof the Pens tanked last night. The Pens have been one of the hottest teams lately, the Caps one of the worst. 2 weeks ago, when the Pens had a comfortable lead in the Ovechkin sweepstakes, they whooped the Caps pretty good, with the all-star goalie in net. Last night, against a team of misfits and an ECHL goalie, the Pens looked like they were wearing cinder-block skates, and got outplayed from the opening whistle. This from a Pen's team that had been recently characterized as not much talent, but hard working. Say what you want about the Caps, but it's funny how in the one game that was probably a must lose for whoever wants to finish last, the Pens didn't even try to look interested, while the Caps took care of business.

st_roland

Dr. kØUkLØs said:
Nah...

Koltsov - Kraft - Ovechkin sounds alot better

Maybe. But not better than Semin-Zubrus-Ovechkin. Jumpin'! Thats a lot of skill on one line. I'd also be very happy with this line- Semin-Malkin-Fehr.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sounds like proof the Pens tanked last night. The Pens have been one of the hottest teams lately, the Caps one of the worst. 2 weeks ago, when the Pens had a comfortable lead in the Ovechkin sweepstakes, they whooped the Caps pretty good, with the all-star goalie in net. Last night, against a team of misfits and an ECHL goalie, the Pens looked like they were wearing cinder-block skates, and got outplayed from the opening whistle. This from a Pen's team that had been recently characterized as not much talent, but hard working. Say what you want about the Caps, but it's funny how in the one game that was probably a must lose for whoever wants to finish last, the Pens didn't even try to look interested, while the Caps took care of business.
Didn't see the game so I'll take your word for it and say the Pens tanked THAT game. But they haven't tanked any game otherwise all season, and on the contrary have tried hard all season. That more than makes up for the single game where they might have tanked according to your analysis (again I didn't see the game).

GoRyanMalone

That was some display of "effort" we saw last night. It was completely obvious which team wanted to lose.

Being a pens fan, myself, I know that the players were put through extensive conditioning trials before the game, thanks to management.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Evilo said:
Who's trying?

Where is this All Star goalie you speak of?

certainly not on the Caps roster. Olie is by no means close to the form he was of his past Vezina's and rare All-Star appearances.

This year he's been sub-par when considering his typical playing level.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah. It was the team NOT employing Darcy Freakin' Verot as a top 2 centerman, despite the fact that he took a penalty on every shift.

Wait, which team wanted to lose again?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:
Yeah. It was the team NOT employing Darcy Freakin' Verot as a top 9 centerman, despite the fact that he took a penalty on every shift.

The team that made the 2003-2004 Washington Capitals look like the Detroit Red Wings circa 1997 for 40 minutes.

The team that implemented a well-timed "conditioning stint".

:turkey

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Jacobv2 said:
Yeah. It was the team NOT employing Darcy Freakin' Verot as a top 2 centerman, despite the fact that he took a penalty on every shift.

Be fair. Neither team wants to lose, but Washington's management is trying to lose. No one can honestly deny that.

You can't honestly tell me that a professional athlete, particularly a filler player off the Caps roster, wants to lose to secure a draft pick for next season. These guys won't even be on the team next season. They just want to make themselves look good for either an NHL tryout or an AHL contract next season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
CapsFan@Vassar said:
Be fair. Neither team wants to lose, but Washington's management is trying to lose. No one can honestly deny that.

You can't honestly tell me that a professional athlete, particularly a filler player off the Caps roster, wants to lose to secure a draft pick for next season. These guys won't even be on the team next season. They just want to make themselves look good for either an NHL tryout or an AHL contract next season.
That's what I'm saying. EroCaps and Godzillayadayada are insinuating that the Penguins players themselves are the ones that tanked.

I've said several times that both teams made a valiant effort at tanking. But the players certainly had no hand in it, at least not intentionally.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
CapsFan@Vassar said:

That's what I've been saying all along.

No player is willingly going to tank. They're playing for pride and their jobs, they're not going to purposefully suck so the team has a better chance of getting a player that they may not be around to reap the benefits of.

SwOOsh*

Jacobv2 said:
That's what I'm saying. EroCaps and Godzillayadayada are insinuating that the Penguins players themselves are the ones that tanked.

I've said several times that both teams made a valiant effort at tanking. But the players certainly had no hand in it, at least not intentionally.

Exactly, also the coaches may have had a hand in it as well if they are not considered "management"

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
An update for those who care for the numbers. The magic number for last is 1 for the Pens.

Tie breakers favor the Pens over the Caps, but not over Chicago, so a tie in points with the Caps will not give the Caps last, but a tie in points with Chicago will give Chicago last place. Today theoretically could end the run for last, but not of course the positioning for 2nd to last on, as both the Caps and Chicago are playing today.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I think tanking happens only on the management level. I don't think players can really "tank" a game....except of course, the Avalanche--they have absolutely no problem with taking night after night off. :)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Heading into tonight (FRI APR 2) --
The pre-lotto slots are:

1.PIT 54pts 2GR
2.CHI 58 pts 2GR
3.WASH 58pts 2GR
4.CBJ 60pts 2GR
5.PHX 66pts 1GR
---
6.NYR 67 pts 1GR

Only 1 from the bottom 5 finishers (1-5 slots above) can win the #1 overall via the lotto draw...

IF CHI loses both its games in regulation time (SAT vs. PHX,SUN vs. DAL) and PIT wins both its games in any time (regualtion or OT) THEN --CHI would have 1st slot going into the lottery draw.....IF PIT fails to get all 4 points,they have the #1 slot going into the lotto...

Nobody knows who will win the lotto--it might even be a team in the #6-14 slot--but they can only move up 4 positions..

IF PIT beats ATL tonight--it sets up a very nice SAT+SUN jockeying for the final pre-lotto spots as the suspense will carry into Sunday's games...

If the Hawks emerge with the #1 pre-lotto --I as a Hawks fan hope they do NOT win it --but then if that is the case I could live with either a winner from the 6-14 group (Hawks still would draft 1st) OR a winner from the 2-5 group (in which case Hawks would draft 2nd in round #1) --except if it does come from a 2-5 group team just behind the Hawks I'd rather it NOT BE CBJ........I can live with drafting at #2 after lotto (how can anyone not be happy with MALKIN?--he might actually be the better prospect over Ovechkin!) because I think the Hawks need another top centre prospect in the system since Yakubov doesn't look like he can be a top 2 line guy at the position......IF I still had the #1 after lotto,I would consider trading DOWN to PIT 1 spot and let them have Ovechkin if the return price was their first rounder (#2 overall=MALKIN) plus the option (to the Hawks) to switch pickswith PIT in round 1 of the next draft (ie if PIT had the lotto win--Hawks exercise option and take Crosby then!) OR a second round 2005 PIT draftpick (whichever option CHI chooses to exercise in that draft)....... Thus the Hawks would be in great position for CROSBY (ie. 2 lotto shots at him) since that draft will rely on the 2003/04 finish with NO SEASON due to lock-out next year.......if the 2005 dratpost-poned to '06 if no CBA agreement in plasce by June 2005,the option and pre-lotto slots would carry over --there would be 2 separate drafts in JUne 2006 if a partial season were played in the 2005/06 seaason--the 2005 draft would be based on the last full season before (2003/04) and the 2006 draft on the finish of the partial season of 2005/06......if it were a full 2 year lock-out --then a COMBO draft of 2005 and 2006 would be held (again with the2003/04 finish determining pre-lotto slots)......any options not used in2005 woould hold for such a combo draft...THUS the Hawks in any ebvent wou;d be in the best possible scenario for Crosby--and there is no NHL franchise that needs CROSBY more---he would sell tickets in Chicago--Ovechkin or Malkin even cannot do that--but the NEXTKY and all the attendant publicity WOULD truely be a franchise "SAVIOUR" .....Chicago also has 29 draftpicks over the 2004 and 2005 drafts..some of these quantity assets in addition to a strong goalie stockpile of assets should provide enough ammo to package a deal tomove up for Crosby only a few spots --IF IT IS REQUIRED to deal with the other teams in the bottom 5 of 2003/04 who will also be in the prime lotto position for that draft given the lock-out.......(WASH,CBJ,and PHX or NYR)......
CBJ probably needs CROSBY least= won't sell anymore tickets=already sold out;WASH may need lot more depth infusuion than 1 guy --so they might take a big package deal then.....PHX may fold if lock-out goes 2 years anyway =do not know hw they wouldd go for package;NYR also needs lots but on the other hand they always like the big 'star"--so I do not know if they would go for quantity)..THE main point is CHI COULD be in the best possible situation to ultimately gain Crosby --either by lotto luck itself,or by astute manoevring ...Actually the NHL NEEDS a revitalzed CHI franchise =the 3rd largest media market in the USA......they should almost give CHI CROSBY as a NECESSITY anyway!

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

I'm not insinuating anything that isn't clearly apparent. Take a look at the last 3 Caps/Pens games and make your own decision. There was one game the Pens absolutely had to lose. It just happened to be the worst game they played in the last 20 or so.

You tell me....

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I fail to believe that the actual players on the ice would try to tank. These guys are professionals and have some pride. They are playing for jobs, if not with the Pens/Caps, then elsewhere and most of them could care less about Ovechkin.

Perhaps on one single night, both teams tried to win and the Caps came out on top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->