4 Major NA Team Sport Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Go Coyotes-

It would be a good idea for revenue sharing, it would obviously help any league in trouble. But, I don't think it would be as fair in the NHL as if is in the NFL. In the NFL the majority of the league, I mean like 25-30 of the teams, have around the same revenues. No team has trouble filling 8 dates a year and even without sharing of conession, tickets etc. revenues would be generally the same across the board.

But in the NHL revenues are varied so much between big markets and small markets it wouldn't work the same way as it does in the NFL.

Feb 12, 2003
Dr Love said:
No, it only mentions the amount they recieve. I distinctly read that part before I wrote my post.

I must be misunderstanding your point or something.

Better watch out or it will be MOD WAR! :joker:

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
RichPanther said:
Except in other businesses, the labor isn't what the customers are buying. Just remember that the players are pretty much the "product" in this business.

The players aren't the product. The game is the product. Obviously the players are far and away the most essential part of the game, but the game doesn't occur without the stadium, the ice, the equipment, the officials, the scoreboard, the people who put together the team, etc.

CoolburnIsGone

CarlRacki said:
The players aren't the product. The game is the product. Obviously the players are far and away the most essential part of the game, but the game doesn't occur without the stadium, the ice, the equipment, the officials, the scoreboard, the people who put together the team, etc.
Which is why I said 'the players are pretty much the "product".' Otherwise, I'd just say the players are THE product which I didn't. Without the players (not the NHLPA specifically but players in general), there is no game though. The NHL prides itself on being the best league in the world...to be the best in the world, you need to have the best players in the world to sell the game as the product.

Feb 12, 2003
Why is it that the owners in the NHL are the most conservative of all the big 4 professional sports in North America? What makes the NHL owners different than the NBA owners, many of which are owners in both leagues? What makes the NHL owners different than the NFL owners who share the most revenue among all the pro sports?

I've very anti-owner in this regard, that I believe a bigger answer to this whole issue is revenue sharing. Agree with it or not, why does the NHL have the lowest revenue sharing package in pro sports, 1/3 of that of the second lowest?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Converse said:
Why is it that the owners in the NHL are the most conservative of all the big 4 professional sports in North America? What makes the NHL owners different than the NBA owners, many of which are owners in both leagues? What makes the NHL owners different than the NFL owners who share the most revenue among all the pro sports?

I've very anti-owner in this regard, that I believe a bigger answer to this whole issue is revenue sharing. Agree with it or not, why does the NHL have the lowest revenue sharing package in pro sports, 1/3 of that of the second lowest?

The owners as a group want the best of both worlds, the small market owners want to be on a equal footing with the large markets in terms of payroll and the large markets dont want to share any of their money with the small markets. Thats why the owners proposal lack any substance of revenue sharing. Unless you think sharing a portion of playoff revenue is substance. And Bettman calls a luxury tax guesswork.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The NHL does share revenue like the NFL - all their national tv money is shared. But the NHL has large local revenues the NFL doesnt really have.

The only large pot of money that could be shared is the playoff money. Every team gets an equal share regardless of their playoff success. Is that good for the integrity and accountability of the sport?

You cant make each team equal in revenue. You cant cap each teams payroll at the lowest common denominator. A way must be found to allow revenue disparity without making the system unfair overall.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
thinkwild said:
The NHL does share revenue like the NFL - all their national tv money is shared. But the NHL has large local revenues the NFL doesnt really have.

The only large pot of money that could be shared is the playoff money. Every team gets an equal share regardless of their playoff success. Is that good for the integrity and accountability of the sport?

You cant make each team equal in revenue. You cant cap each teams payroll at the lowest common denominator. A way must be found to allow revenue disparity without making the system unfair overall.

The NFL also shares alot of ticket revenue 80% which is a ton of money. The owners want the best of the NFL (cap) but dont to make sure it works the way the NFL works which is partically total revenue sharing.

Feb 12, 2003
thinkwild said:

When the NHL shares 10% of revenue and the NFL shares 80% of revenue, I think the TV contracts are taken out of that equation. I don't think you can hardly say that the NHL & NFL have the same revenue sharing packages.

I think revenue sharing should be increased, but the teams who collect the most and contribute the least should be subject to owner committee's that can heavily suggest relocation or contraction if need be.

I do think that playoff revenue should be the one thing that is a benefit to the teams who make it and have success. Revenue sharing in the playoffs is fine between the two teams playing, but not a league-wide concept. I can see how some would argue that all revenues should be shared however, but I think you have to set something aside, and a strong playoff run should be rewarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->