GDT: 4/15/13 / Wild @ Flames / 8 PM CST / FS-WI, FS-N+, SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Only half paid attention to the game. I DVR'd it but everyone on my hockey team had to keep giving smartphone updates. Technology vs technology.

I thought overall the two teams were fairly even with maybe Calgary a little better at even strength, but the Wild were finally the more opportunistic team. Backs absolutely had to stand on his head to keep the Wild in it through the first.

Cullen played great in his return I thought, although Zucker's first bad game in the NHL held that line back a bit and I didn't see a ton out of Seto.

Top line was fantastic. Nothing bad to say at all. Parise and Koivu seemed more involved and Coyle is getting better game by game.

Third line, wasn't loving it, although they did score. Pominville looked good, first really good game I thought he played for the Wild, but he could use some better linemates.

Defense still looks pretty bad after the top pairing. Stoner-Gilbert and Clark-Spurgeon are just playing with fire. And that third pairing...love them in the offensive zone, hate them in the defensive zone. Just turnovers and bad play galore. But boy Clark is an above average shooter from the point on a team with a ton of below average point shots. Gets his shots through.

Team absolutely needed to win last night and now need three more wins!

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Backstrom deserves a lot credit for his game yesterday. He stole the show in the first until the Wild found their bearings. If 1-3 of those high quality chances go in, it's obviously a different game.

Clark played an atrocious game. Just terrible. This guy has no business playing right now. It's bad enough that Spurgeon will get out-muscled from time to time in the defensive zone, can't pair him with a guy who's a liability. Two goals last night were purely on Clark. Inept play on the boards and of course his horrid gap control at the blue line burned them as well.

Pominville doesn't make much sense on the third line. Though, Yeo has played his third line more like the second all season so not sure it matters.

The little things Suter and Brodin both do are just fantastic. Great, great players.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Top line is fine. Fourth line is fine. Left with:

Matt Cullen
Kyle Brodziak
Mikael Granlund
Jason Zucker
Devin Setoguchi
Jason Pominville
Pierre-Marc Bouchard

Regardless of who you put with them, Brodziak and Cullen are going to play a ton of minutes. Off the start, Setoguchi pretty much needs to be duct taped to Cullen's wing. Brodziak plays against every top line no matter who has with him, so Pominville is the wisest choice out of what's there. Have to fill two spots with what's left:

Mikael Granlund
Jason Zucker
Pierre-Marc Bouchard

This is where it gets tough. Bouchard has pretty much been dead weight all year. Yeo keeps going back to him for whatever reason. I think he stays in the line-up. Personally, I'd swap Granlund for him but Yeo won't; it is what it is. Can't have both in the line-up, IMO. Which means Granlund's out and they need to call up a spare (Dowell, IMO). Zucker is the other wing where ever you want to place those two.

The choices are pretty limited. I'd just roll with what they're currently doing if they're set on Coyle on the top line and Bouchard in the line-up. Ideally, my line-up would be:

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Zucker - Cullen - Coyle
Granlund - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Rupp - Mitchell - Clutterbuck

Suter - Brodin
Stoner - Spurgeon
Falk - Gilbert

But that doesn't mesh with how Yeo operates nor is it the time to be throwing flux into combinations.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Two second lines is a nice thing to have.

Brodin seemed a little clumsy at first which made me think he's tired, but it could have just been some bad bounces. It definitely went away by mid-game.

Highlight of the game for me was broken closed captioning, which provided the following gems:
Coy Sue
Incomeville
Kentucky Koivu

One of the above was involved in a gay goal in southern Maine at some point.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I thought Backstrom looked shaky at points. Guy needs a rest.

I really liked the forward lines. Brodziak looked really good with Pomer, who has a hell of a shot.

Again, I admit, Cullen seems to work really well with Setoguchi and they both look like completely different players. Agree with Russo that Zucker will be fine but he needs to tighten things up a bit.

Clark is terrible. Get him off the ice.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Completely slipped my mind but see the Hanowski stuff I now remembered that I was going to mention it...

His goal last night is something that really bugs me consistently with this team. Calgary had two players on top of Backstrom and Hanowski ended up putting the puck home. At no point during that sequence, before, during, or after, was a player put on their ***.

Unacceptable. Especially if they're fighting for a playoff spot; even more so in the playoffs.

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
My idea for the lines:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Setoguchi-Cullen-Pominville
Zucker-Broadziak-Bouchard
Rupp-Mitchell-Clutterbuck
Konopka

I hate Bouchard in the bottom six but you can't split up Cullen/Seto and Pominville is talented enough to play in the top six.

And I'm really starting to like Coyle on the top line, Coyle has really stepped his game up lately.

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
Two second lines is a nice thing to have.

Brodin seemed a little clumsy at first which made me think he's tired, but it could have just been some bad bounces. It definitely went away by mid-game.

Highlight of the game for me was broken closed captioning, which provided the following gems:
Coy Sue
Incomeville
Kentucky Koivu

One of the above was involved in a gay goal in southern Maine at some point.

Kentucky Koivu is awesome. I'm going to call him that from now on.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
this is going to sound funny, but Yeo keeps going back to Bouchard because he doesn't trust Zucker or Granlund as much defensively. i would say "not at all" for zucker. because of games like last night. he is bad defensively. bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad