Prospect Info: #38, Gustav Lindstrom

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

That's good. So long as his mobility is not awful I think there's a nice amount of upside in the pick. If he can work on improving his skating he should be able to be a 2nd pairing defenceman for us in a few years time.

Hearing things like this and the Vancouver stuff makes me feel better about the pick. Doesn't help me from feeling underwhelmeded being content with 2 of our picks

I'm far happier with this pick than I am Rasmussen, at least in the 2nd round there really is no wrong pick and defenceman are a far different breed than forwards. The best thing about him is that it's been said he has a high hockey IQ and a great first pass. Something our current dcore lacks.

Oct 18, 2006
Dark days in Detroit when fans start ******** on Hakan Andersson.
In all seriousness though, when was the last pick of his that made it?

I know, I know, we're eternally grateful for his home run picks 15 years ago, but if we look at his recent track record, it actually stinks.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011

I know, I know, we're eternally grateful for his home run picks 15 years ago, but if we look at his recent track record, it actually stinks.

And in what rounds has he gotten picks?

Tyler Wright said other teams told them after the fact that they were going to take him in the second round.

This is why I stopped caring about "reaches". Scouts and GMs obviously know more than we do and if they pick a "reach", it's for a reason.

Reactions: Oddbob

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
This seems like an interesting pick, I know some people are talking about his skating being a concern, but when we say skating, are we talking about speed or the way he skates? If the former, remember that Lidstrom was not exactly a fast skater either.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Nyquist, Tatar.. Jarnkrok's turned into a solid player. Now a question for you, what Datsyuks/Zetterbergs have come out of the late rounds in europe in recent memory? Can't draft what isn't there.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Nyquist, Tatar.. Jarnkrok's turned into a solid player. Now a question for you, what Datsyuks/Zetterbergs have come out of the late rounds in europe in recent memory? Can't draft what isn't there.

Going back through some of the more recent drafts (2009-), the only real impact players taken later in the draft from Sweden are Ekholm at #103 (2009) and Klingberg at #131 (2010).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Going back through some of the more recent drafts (2009-), the only real impact players taken later in the draft from Sweden are Ekholm at #103 (2009) and Klingberg at #131 (2010).

Yep. Everybody is scouting Europe pretty well nowadays. This changed already at 2005, when salary cap came in play. Everybody understood, that you need draft your cheap ELCs by yourself.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think he's my favorite pick from this draft. Hakan obviously vouched for him in a big way and it appears that a few other teams and other scouts loved him too. That along with his description as a high IQ-good first pass defenseman which we sorely need makes me like this pick. Hopefully it all works out for him because I think he might be our highest upside pick this year and we really need a homerun.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Corey Pronman @coreypronman

DET going after Gustav Lindstrom at 38 was a mild surprise, but I started hearing noise about him about his 7 pts in 4 gm tourney in Feb.
11:15 AM · Jun 25, 2017

Corey Pronman @coreypronman

DET wasn't by far the only team on him, there were a lot of scouts going out to watch him in the second half. So not a shock at all to me.
11:16 AM · Jun 25, 2017

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, and also, when you only get picks in rounds 2-7, you are at a major disadvantage.

The only 1st round pick he's been given he got us the best defenseman we've drafted in the last 20 years.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Swedish story on Lindström with comments from him and Andersson:
http://www.hockeysverige.se/2017/06...n-igar/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Google Translate version:
https://translate.google.com/transl..._source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&edit-text=

He basically went from the U18 league to Allsvenskan in one summer, which is quite impressive. Several SHL teams have also showed interest in him for next season but he has chosen to stay with Almtuna which is probably a good decision.

I will try to have a shift-by-shift video up today from one of his J20 Elit games in December. It's not great level of competition but might give a better idea of his offense compared to when playing against men in the Allsvenskan.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Here's a Lindström shift-by-shift from December 13th 2016 in the J20 Elit which is the 2nd tier U20 league in Sweden below J20 SuperElit. Quality is not great but hey, I'm glad we have something. I don't have video of his Allsvenskan games, but this probably shows more of his offense due to the level of competition.

You probably can't see the #'s, but he's the right-handed D in red (#32). Here's the game summary from that game: http://stats.swehockey.se/Game/Events/315375

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Here's a Lindström shift-by-shift from December 13th 2016 in the J20 Elit which is the 2nd tier U20 league in Sweden below J20 SuperElit. Quality is not great but hey, I'm glad we have something. I don't have video of his Allsvenskan games, but this probably shows more of his offense due to the level of competition.

You probably can't see the #'s, but he's the right-handed D in red (#32). Here's the game summary from that game: http://stats.swehockey.se/Game/Events/315375

That pass at 15:20 had me fooled, thought he had his head down ready to do a DeKeyser along the boards, looks up and makes a nice cross-ice play. :laugh:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Why do they go so far off the draft rankings of everyone else? He was rated as low as 159 by ISS Hockey, 85 by TSN, 109 by Hockey Prospects. Seems they could have waited for late 3rd/early 4th to get him. To me this is exactly the kind of pick the Wings make lately. Someone not on anyone else's radar this early, yet they pick him.

We ranked him as an early 2nd (he was the first 2nd rounder on our board, just outside of 1st round).

And if you read our interview with Canes and Coffee, seems like Detroit/Hakan's thought process was similar to ours. :)

Canes and Coffee: Which 2-4 European players do you like in the second round which is currently scheduled to be a busy one for the Hurricanes? The Hurricanes currently have three second-round draft picks.

Draftin Europe: A player that we have never heard mentioned for the first couple of rounds but really like is Swedish defenseman Gustav Lindstrom. We would grab him in the 2nd hoping to beat other teams. We explain the reasons in depth in the Blue Dispatch (our draft guide). We think he has significant upside.

http://canesandcoffee.com/the-pipel...ik-portoni-and-niki-funa-from-draftin-europe/

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

Looks like a smart player who positions himself very well on the ice and makes nice plays. I can see that his skating and quickness needs some work, but overall this is a very good pick.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Appreciate your comments on Lindstrom. I've always enjoyed your comments on the Prospects forum and respect the opinions and the detailed explanations you've provided. I knew nothing about Lindstrom prior to the Draft but it got my attention earlier in this thread when you tweeted the Wings "got at #38 a better prospect than Brannstrom". Anything further that you'd like to add to that comparison of a highly-touted prospect vs. a much lesser-known prospect would be welcome.

Between Lindstrom and Kotkansalo, it strikes me the Wings got two D prospects who have some of the same attributes but are a little more physically mature/developed as Cholowski and Hronek. The defense prospect pool, with Saarijarvi also in the mix, is starting to look pretty good.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Appreciate your comments on Lindstrom. I've always enjoyed your comments on the Prospects forum and respect the opinions and the detailed explanations you've provided. I knew nothing about Lindstrom prior to the Draft but it got my attention earlier in this thread when you tweeted the Wings "got at #38 a better prospect than Brannstrom". Anything further that you'd like to add to that comparison of a highly-touted prospect vs. a much lesser-known prospect would be welcome.

Between Lindstrom and Kotkansalo, it strikes me the Wings got two D prospects who have some of the same attributes but are a little more physically mature/developed as Cholowski and Hronek. The defense prospect pool, with Saarijarvi also in the mix, is starting to look pretty good.

Thanks for the kind words.

As for that tweet/comment...it's mainly due to the fact that we were big fans of Lindstrom and not as high on Brannstrom. In fact, from what I've seen (and I leave the option that I missed someone open, it's hard to tell with so many rankings available these days) no other outlet seemed to be as high on Lindstrom or conversely as low on Brannstrom as us. Lindstrom was already in our 2nd round back on our preview ranking before the U18s in April. Considering he was a staff favorite, we couldn't find a reason for not pushing him even higher on our final rankings.

On the Brannstrom front, we knew we were lower on Brannstrom than probably anyone else and we stuck to what we saw in our viewings. He's actually one of the prospects in our draft guide that has a visual breakdown attached to his profile, which explains in-depth with concrete examples reasons for why we ranked him as we did.

And to answer your question about highly-touted prospect vs lesser known prospect. We believe you have to stick to your guns. If we feel like we're completely contrary to whatever the "general consensus" seems to be we only use that as motivation to dig in further with additional viewings to see whether we're not missing something. But we stick to what we see and that was the case with Lindstrom and Brannstrom. It has served us well in the past.

Reactions: BSHH and Henkka

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
And in what rounds has he gotten picks?

This is why I stopped caring about "reaches". Scouts and GMs obviously know more than we do and if they pick a "reach", it's for a reason.

Don't you know? The reason is they like pissing off their fanbase :sarcasm:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This seems like an interesting pick, I know some people are talking about his skating being a concern, but when we say skating, are we talking about speed or the way he skates? If the former, remember that Lidstrom was not exactly a fast skater either.

Lids didn't need any speed at all, and he still would have been a serviceable d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->