Prospect Info: #36 Jesper Boqvist (C/W)

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
We need to trade up if this guy start falling. Heard he has better numbers than karlsson at the same age. We then take Ryan McLeod in the second round and goes with the bros

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
Kind of lost in all the Smith and Hughes hype is the excellent season Boqvist had in the SHL.

51gp13g22a35p
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's tied for 14th in the SHL. (7 points from 2nd place)

On a bad team.

Here's how he stacks up against all forwards currently in the NHL that spent their D+2 seasons in Sweden:

SHL:
Calle Järnkrok 50gp 0.78 ppg
Jesper Fast 21gp 0.76
Johan Larsson 49gp 0.73
Jesper Boqvist 51gp 0.69
Patric Hörnqvist 49gp 0.69
Carl Grundström 35gp 0.69
Marcus Krüger 52gp 0.67
Lucas Wallmark 48gp 0.67
Mattias Janmark 55gp 0.65
Andreas Johnsson 55gp 0.64
Jacob Silfverberg 53gp 0.64
Joel Eriksson Ek 26gp 0.62
Pontus Åberg 55gp 0.6
Victor Olofsson 49gp 0.59
William Karlsson 50gp 0.56
Oskar Lindblom 48gp 0.52
Alexander Steen 48gp 0.5
Mattias Tedenby 44gp 0.43 lol
Louie Eriksson 39gp 0.36
Oskar Sundqvist 51gp 0.31
Oscar Lindberg 46gp 0.22
Joakim Nordström 47gp 0.13
Melker Karlsson 36gp 0.06
Christoffer Ehn 37gp 0.05

Allsvenskan (Tier 2 league)
Patrik Berglund 36gp 1.25
Carl Söderberg 39gp 1.00
Marcus Sörensen 29gp 0.59
Mikael Backlund 17gp 0.47
Pär Lindholm 50gp 0.28

I have watched around 20 games with him this season it has been a joy. He is a play driver with great skill, hands, vision and wheels. A zone entry-machine. Awesome at the half wall on the PP.
His weakness is the defensive side of the game. He's not very good along the boards either. At the moment I don't think he fits into this top 6 as it's currently constructed. I think this top 6 needs something with a little more snarl.
However, I do think he would be a great infusion in this bottom 6. A third line of him and some combination of Coleman, Zajac, 2nd half Zacha or possibly Bastian is a damn good third line with a little bit of everything. Skill, speed, grit and defensive prowess.

I think him signing that 1-year deal with Brynäs was him saying he didn't want to play in the AHL this season, and I think it's definitely time for him to come over. He has nothing left to prove in the SHL and is ready for the next step.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kind of lost in all the Smith and Hughes hype is the excellent season Boqvist had in the SHL.

51gp13g22a35p
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's tied for 14th in the SHL. (7 points from 2nd place)

On a bad team.

Here's how he stacks up against all forwards currently in the NHL that spent their D+2 seasons in Sweden:

SHL:
Calle Järnkrok 50gp 0.78 ppg
Jesper Fast 21gp 0.76
Johan Larsson 49gp 0.73
Jesper Boqvist 51gp 0.69
Patric Hörnqvist 49gp 0.69
Carl Grundström 35gp 0.69
Marcus Krüger 52gp 0.67
Lucas Wallmark 48gp 0.67
Mattias Janmark 55gp 0.65
Andreas Johnsson 55gp 0.64
Jacob Silfverberg 53gp 0.64
Joel Eriksson Ek 26gp 0.62
Pontus Åberg 55gp 0.6
Victor Olofsson 49gp 0.59
William Karlsson 50gp 0.56
Oskar Lindblom 48gp 0.52
Alexander Steen 48gp 0.5
Mattias Tedenby 44gp 0.43 lol
Louie Eriksson 39gp 0.36
Oskar Sundqvist 51gp 0.31
Oscar Lindberg 46gp 0.22
Joakim Nordström 47gp 0.13
Melker Karlsson 36gp 0.06
Christoffer Ehn 37gp 0.05

Allsvenskan (Tier 2 league)
Patrik Berglund 36gp 1.25
Carl Söderberg 39gp 1.00
Marcus Sörensen 29gp 0.59
Mikael Backlund 17gp 0.47
Pär Lindholm 50gp 0.28

I have watched around 20 games with him this season it has been a joy. He is a play driver with great skill, hands, vision and wheels. A zone entry-machine. Awesome at the half wall on the PP.
His weakness is the defensive side of the game. He's not very good along the boards either. At the moment I don't think he fits into this top 6 as it's currently constructed. I think this top 6 needs something with a little more snarl.
However, I do think he would be a great infusion in this bottom 6. A third line of him and some combination of Coleman, Zajac, 2nd half Zacha or possibly Bastian is a damn good third line with a little bit of everything. Skill, speed, grit and defensive prowess.

I think him signing that 1-year deal with Brynäs was him saying he didn't want to play in the AHL this season, and I think it's definitely time for him to come over. He has nothing left to prove in the SHL and is ready for the next step.
We were aware that Boqvist was having a good season in the SHL. Some were marking him in as a potential 2nd line lw.

But then Hughes happened.

And truthfully drafting an NHL player has probably pushed Boqvist off the NJ roster to start the season.

Though if he plays well he'd likely be the first skill guy called up.

Reactions: SYWTom

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
We were aware that Boqvist was having a good season in the SHL. Some were marking him in as a potential 2nd line lw.

And truthfully drafting an NHL player has probably pushed Boqvist off the NJ roster to start the season.

If BQ doesn't make the team he will be going back to Sweden most likely

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think Boqvist will impress in training camp, and earn a spot this season on the roster.

But, he has to earn it, the team needs to start being competitive. We no longer need to rush him either, lottery changed his outlook. So if it’s best for him and the team to have him return to Sweden, that’s not a huge problem.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I don't really understand this thinking. I agree that we can pencil in Hughes, so by my count that's 9 forwards with a spot on the team day 1:

Hughes
Hall
Hischier
Palmieri
Zacha
Bratt
Zajac
Coleman
Wood

So guys like Noesen, Agostino, Rooney, Seney, Anderson, and yes Boqvist, can all compete for the other three spots.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't really understand this thinking. I agree that we can pencil in Hughes, so by my count that's 9 forwards with a spot on the team day 1:

Hughes
Hall
Hischier
Palmieri
Zacha
Bratt
Zajac
Coleman
Wood

So guys like Noesen, Agostino, Rooney, Seney, Anderson, and yes Boqvist, can all compete for the other three spots.
Ya but you have to consider the particulars of the role's that are open.

I wouldn't want a rookie Boqvist on an 18 year old rookie Hughes' wing for instance.

I'm also not sure I'd want Boqvist on the 4th line. Or maybe better put I'm not sure the Devils want Boqvist on the 4th line.

In both the cases above I wonder about Boqvist's defensive game.

Now pre lottery win? Boqvist Zacha Bratt made more sense imo.

People above think he won't go AHL, but would go back to the SHL if he does not make the team. But I'd hope he would go AHL and wait for the inevitable injury.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Ya but you have to consider the particulars of the role's that are open.

I wouldn't want a rookie Boqvist on an 18 year old rookie Hughes' wing for instance.

I'm also not sure I'd want Boqvist on the 4th line. Or maybe better put I'm not sure the Devils want Boqvist on the 4th line.

In both the cases above I wonder about Boqvist's defensive game.

Now pre lottery win? Boqvist Zacha Bratt made more sense imo.

People above think he won't go AHL, but would go back to the SHL if he does not make the team. But I'd hope he would go AHL and wait for the inevitable injury.

You're overthinking this. It's like Bratt in 2017, if he plays his way onto the roster, you find a spot for him. Forget about line numbers, if he's one of your eight best wings, you sign him and don't worry about it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You're overthinking this. It's like Bratt in 2017, if he plays his way onto the roster, you find a spot for him. Forget about line numbers, if he's one of your eight best wings, you sign him and don't worry about it.

He has to sign before July 15; they can't wait until training camp to make a decision whether or not to sign him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He has to sign before July 15; they can't wait until training camp to make a decision whether or not to sign him.
What about the SHL vs AHL angle? Such as, if we sign him before July 15, he comes to training camp, he doesn't make the NHL team, can he still go back to Sweden?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yes, that is possible.
Common?

There was some thought above that if he didn't make the NHL club out of camp he would go back to the SHL. I find that odd especially if there is a sentiment that he's near the top of the call up sheet. I'd think if he comes over, he's coming over.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So you don't take role, even rw vs lw into consideration?

And while I'd like to think he could bring the intangibles coaches look for in a 4th line player, I'm doubting that a fresh out of europe 21 year old rookie known for finesse play is actually going to bring those intangibles.

Now don't get me wrong I'd be very excited to see Boqvist earn his way into the lineup on opening night. I'd also be excited to see a player with supposed talent like Boqvist on the 4th line.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Common?

There was some thought above that if he didn't make the NHL club out of camp he would go back to the SHL. I find that odd especially if there is a sentiment that he's near the top of the call up sheet. I'd think if he comes over, he's coming over.

It's not particularly uncommon for Swedish players. He can still be called up from the SHL if that's what the Devils want to do although obviously it takes a week for that to really happen. I'll believe it when I see it, but yeah, it is certainly possible.

Reactions: devilsblood

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
So you don't take role, even rw vs lw into consideration?

And while I'd like to think he could bring the intangibles coaches look for in a 4th line player, I'm doubting that a fresh out of europe 21 year old rookie known for finesse play is actually going to bring those intangibles.

Now don't get me wrong I'd be very excited to see Boqvist earn his way into the lineup on opening night. I'd also be excited to see a player with supposed talent like Boqvist on the 4th line.

Let me start with the easy one; lw vs. rw. No, I wouldn't take that into consideration. As for role, I guess I'd wonder what role you have in mind. It's true we have a lot of smaller skilled guys up front, but all those smaller skilled are also young, and probably aren't going anywhere, so the question becomes, does Boqvist have enough skill, can he play enough defense, and can he handle the bigger guys in the NHL enough that he makes the team anyway. To me, the reason Quenneville didn't work out is because he didn't bring enough of any of those things.

I guess to me it's simple. If Boqvist comes in and has the kind of camp that Bratt had in 2017, you keep him. If he doesn't you send him back to Sweden and hope he comes back better next year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Let me start with the easy one; lw vs. rw. No, I wouldn't take that into consideration. As for role, I guess I'd wonder what role you have in mind. It's true we have a lot of smaller skilled guys up front, but all those smaller skilled are also young, and probably aren't going anywhere, so the question becomes, does Boqvist have enough skill, can he play enough defense, and can he handle the bigger guys in the NHL enough that he makes the team anyway. To me, the reason Quenneville didn't work out is because he didn't bring enough of any of those things.

I guess to me it's simple. If Boqvist comes in and has the kind of camp that Bratt had in 2017, you keep him. If he doesn't you send him back to Sweden and hope he comes back better next year.
Clearly if he has a Bratt type of camp he makes the team. But Bratt also had a top 6 spot open for him. Heck Stafford was playing a fair amount of top 6 early that season.

We have more talent this year. And as you point out, a lot of those guys are young, and a lot of those guys lack physicality. That may play against Boqvist.

Now I'd send him to the AHL. Why not have him available in Bing if needed? Don't see the benefit of sending him back to the SHL outside of his possible preference to play there.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I strongly believe Boqvist would make the team, as is, out of camp. Obviously depending on what else Shero does in the off-season that can change, but I'd pencil him in as the 3rd line LW right now already factoring in an upgrade to the top 6.

Hall-Hischier-Palms
Bratt-Hughes-X
Boqvist-Zacha-Anderson/Seney/Studenic (just throwing that out there, maybe he's a sleeper)/another addition elsewhere
Wood-Zacha-Coleman

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Clearly if he has a Bratt type of camp he makes the team. But Bratt also had a top 6 spot open for him. Heck Stafford was playing a fair amount of top 6 early that season.

We have more talent this year. And as you point out, a lot of those guys are young, and a lot of those guys lack physicality. That may play against Boqvist.

Now I'd send him to the AHL. Why not have him available in Bing if needed? Don't see the benefit of sending him back to the SHL outside of his possible preference to play there.

It's easy to forget that Bratt was not envisioned on a scoring line out of camp. He started the season on the third line with Henrique and Hayes (lol), but he almost immediately played his way onto the top line.

Now, if he doesn't make the team, I don't know if the right place for him is Sweden or the AHL, that's something I don't have a good sense of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad