GDT: #32| New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets | December 14th | 7:00 PM | F/L 6-4

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Ho Sang is a mess.
Quine....just not going to cut it, like Brock, time to move on.
Beau....might yet benefit from the fourth line...but Ho Sang Clan has a valid idea.....try a line of vets with Prince....or thereby some combination.
As for Griess....one of those games where it really really really...was not him.....maybe one goal of those 5 should have gone in if we were playing D

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
well well well, is it time to panic? It's a loooong NHL season, we are 4 points off the division lead and have a legit first and 2nd line and no goalie that has taken the "bull by the horns" as of yet. I suspect our Isles regroup and lick their wounds and get back to work with this homestand coming up. Ebs and flows continues...

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
watch-New-York-Islanders-online.jpg If you read between the lines of Weight's press conference, he got pretty close to calling out some players without naming names. I haven't heard the phrase "some of our players have to play better" in a very long time. I'm with the majority here...Ho-Sang needs more coaching, we need a defensemen who can worry about cleaning up in front of the crease(we are getting pushed around there too) and I hate to admit it but JT hasn't played well in a while. I hope we can get this together because I really thought( and still think) we had a nice mix of players (Barzal's amazing) and the pieces we need shouldn't be to tough to get at the deadline.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Our goalies, neither is in the top 20 in the league, but both are in the top 40, kind of sums it up, you can swap their jerseys and put them in net and you could not distinguish one from the other
Wonderful. That means both our goalies are in the bottom 1/3 of the league. Not good enough.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Seriously, I don’t get this false narrative of Halak being unduly criticized over Greiss. Seems like almost everyone is in agreement that they have both been bad.

Yet, every game we seem to get these posts chiding fellow Islander fans for not agreeing Greiss is crappier than Halak. If it makes the disgruntled few happy, let’s just decree once and for all that Halak is crappy and Greiss is a bit more crappy.
That poster tends to fall head over heels in love with goaltenders. he was the main (and mostly only) defender and apologist of DP during that era where he sucked even when he wasn't injured. Make it and Italian-American goalie and he will be here every 5 minutes with his silliness.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That poster tends to fall head over heels in love with goaltenders. he was the main (and mostly only) defender and apologist of DP during that era where he sucked even when he wasn't injured. Make it and Italian-American goalie and he will be here every 5 minutes with his silliness.
You have to admit the amount of venom directed towards Halak here is disproportionate to the amount directed towards Greiss. Maybe it's because Greiss is more warm and cuddly. Maybe it's because he has a hot wife who posts on Twitter. No matter. At the end of the day, both Halak and Greiss aren't getting the job done this year.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Not putting the blame for tonight's loss just on Beau or JHS, but neither is producing offensively and both should be looking over their shoulder, worried about being demoted.

When is Weight gonna address this growing problem of slow starts? Isles giving up the first couple of goals and having to play catchup?
I hope so! He didnt even play!
That said, a stay in the American League could be good for both.

Reactions: Strait2thecup

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
glad to see some people are finally taking a dose of reality when it comes to JHS. He needs to take all facets of the game seriously or he risks being Robbie Schemp... A fun player to watch on a bad team.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
glad to see some people are finally taking a dose of reality when it comes to JHS. He needs to take all facets of the game seriously or he risks being Robbie Schemp... A fun player to watch on a bad team.

100%. And I Don't think he is even fun to watch. Cringeworthy at both ends of the ice. He turns the puck over in his own zone multiple times each games and has ZERO hockey sense. Makes the stupidest passes.

Snow needs to send him and Beau to the AHL. Bring up Gionta and Bernier. Team D will improve.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I hope so! He didnt even play!
That said, a stay in the American League could be good for both.
It has not just been last night's game. Neither JHS or Beau have been putting up points for a few weeks now. Neither should feel confident of their spot.

The slow starts are a team problem
Isles spotting their opponents a couple of goals in the 1st, then furiously pushing back and too often falling short.
I'd demote Beau and JHS because neither is making a strong case to stay up and then start sitting vets. Nobody likes being out of the lineup.If they don't get the message, they are pretty thick headed.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
They play their best hockey when behind by a goal or two. They should go out each game with the mentality that they are already a goal down. Maybe their intensity level at the beginning of games will increase. Definitely easier said then done.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
They play their best hockey when behind by a goal or two. They should go out each game with the mentality that they are already a goal down. Maybe their intensity level at the beginning of games will increase. Definitely easier said then done.

Shouldn’t be that hard to do with what they have in net. yesterday I’d hate to pin it on one player but Quine was key in the loss. Didn’t play the third and came as close as he could to giving up a goal by himself. Bernie and gionta are better options. Is tanner Fritz decent defensively?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Seriously, I don’t get this false narrative of Halak being unduly criticized over Greiss. Seems like almost everyone is in agreement that they have both been bad.

Yet, every game we seem to get these posts chiding fellow Islander fans for not agreeing Greiss is crappier than Halak. If it makes the disgruntled few happy, let’s just decree once and for all that Halak is crappy and Greiss is a bit more crappy.
They're both having a season to forget. At this point it might just be a good idea to play with no goalie, just plop a sign that says "open for business" in front of the net. But the D also sucks. The entire back end needs to un-f*** itself. Otherwise we're gonna be the team that scores like crazy but goes nowhere. The team has allowed almost as many goals as the yotes and they are a tire fire

Also, why does Ho Sang fall at least twice a game without being touched? Kid needs to work on his edgework. Constantly tripping over the goal line too

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The Giontas, Princes, and Berniers of the AHL world will not fix these flaws.

Team needs a true top 4 defender to stabilize the back end. Either a goalie upgrade or improvement from within. A shame b/c they are a few pieces from being a true contender in the east.

Agreed that Beau needs AHL time. Playing on the 4th line is not enabling him to polish his offensive skills that he already carries; he has limited opportunity to gain confidence.

Ho Sang needs the AHL to refine his game.

With Prince returning I wonder who gets sent down.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
You have to admit the amount of venom directed towards Halak here is disproportionate to the amount directed towards Greiss. Maybe it's because Greiss is more warm and cuddly. Maybe it's because he has a hot wife who posts on Twitter. No matter. At the end of the day, both Halak and Greiss aren't getting the job done this year.
Probably because Halak is a whiny mental case with a shit attitude, whereas Greiss is just bad.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
View attachment 88097 If you read between the lines of Weight's press conference, he got pretty close to calling out some players without naming names. I haven't heard the phrase "some of our players have to play better" in a very long time. I'm with the majority here...Ho-Sang needs more coaching, we need a defensemen who can worry about cleaning up in front of the crease(we are getting pushed around there too) and I hate to admit it but JT hasn't played well in a while. I hope we can get this together because I really thought( and still think) we had a nice mix of players (Barzal's amazing) and the pieces we need shouldn't be to tough to get at the deadline.

He has at least a point in three straight games. Johnny is the least of our worries.

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He has at least a point in three straight games. Johnny is the least of our worries.

He is the least of our problems indeed, the guy has actually played supremely well, best guy getting pucks out of the corner, passing wizard, killing penalties, absorbing hits and punishment...

We need to get Patrick Maroon pretty fast, first step of a few as we peel away at this onion

You can drop Ladd to the 3rd line with Jane and Beau for now and the 2nd line would be

Maroon/Barzal/Eberle - a true Chia-line, also Maroon would be better as the crease distractor on that line, no one will take shots at Barzal and Eberle any more. Ladd has had to engage too many people and that is not his thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
100%. And I Don't think he is even fun to watch. Cringeworthy at both ends of the ice. He turns the puck over in his own zone multiple times each games and has ZERO hockey sense. Makes the stupidest passes.

Snow needs to send him and Beau to the AHL. Bring up Gionta and Bernier. Team D will improve.

JHS was all the rage last year -- this year -- hes a shell of his former self.

Barzal is now owning the highlight reel.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Move Zeeker to third line

Gionta fits on 4th line...He's dependable ..we know exactly what to expect from him and really...why didn't we call him up after Kool Lemon went down? He's like the next best thing to fill that PK spot.

OR

Gionta/Tanner/Clutterbuck

waive Beau and JHS (because they can..lets take advantage of this freebie)

Waive Quine..if he gets pickedup, he gets picked up..it's not like we can't replace him

Use Chimer as the extra until he can find his wings again...He nearly had 20 last year...he's got what it takes...just needs to find his touch again.

With Zeeker on the third line..it'll get the boost the team needs. I

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think besides Bailey, Barzal was your best player last night even though he didn't get a point.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
JHS is not an NHL player right now. He has A LOT to work on; with and without the puck. Send him down.

Thank you, Garth. Now that we know you read HFBoards, please:

(1) trade pick(s) for Hjalmersson. I don't care if you have to overpay; and
(2) upgrade the bottom 6 forwards with any 3/4th line center than can win faceoffs and kill penalties

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
It seems they started to feed off from each other in wrong way. Greiss is way more consistent, but has poor rebound control and – let’s admit it – is worse overall. Halak is prone for softies and very streaky, but once he’s on a hot streak, he can challenge the best of this league.

Now they are both bad in more or less the same way. I’m especially concerned with recent inability of Halak to string together a few solid games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->