30 man lottery afterall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosis

Well in a stunning turn of events, it appears that we will have a 30 team lottery that will be weighted off previous 2 or 3 (thinks 3) seasons standings. I disagree with 30 teams but at least its weighted.

I saw this in some tea leaves today if anyones wondering :shakehead
After some fortune cards :shakehead had told me back in december there would be no playoff teams. I plan to ask a 3rd party independent crystal ball :shakehead , to confirm what the leaves said, and also I plan to ask the cards what happened to their prediction exactly. I can guess but nonetheless Ill ask.

How on earth anyone can think the AVs, Wings, Flyers or Leafs would have finished anywhere near the lottery for first, is beyond me. I think this has more to do with tossing a bone.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Cosis said:
How on earth anyone can think the AVs, Wings, Flyers or Leafs would have finished anywhere near the lottery for first, is beyond me. I think this has more to do with tossing a bone.

Because hopefully the weighting system will make is to the odds of one of those teams getting the first pick are as close as possible to the odds of them finishing near the bottom. And it is indeed possible that they would have, however slight of a chance.

Cosis

Zoo said:
Hell who cares as long as we have #2 pick I'm happy. ;)

Actually I forgot to clarify if all 30 teams have a chance at the top lottery spots. Might only be all teams positions are set by lottery and broken into 2 groups of lotterys. Silly me didnt think to ask that part. Ill see what more I can find out from the leaves, ball and cards. :shakehead

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Oh I can just imagine it...

With the 1st pick overall ... The Tampy Bay Lighting pick Sidney Crosby

Nothing against Tampy but hey common they won the cup last year.

:shakehead :shakehead

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Cosis said:

By most accounts the Capitals were picked to win the SouthEast in 2003-2004. They ended up winning the lottery. Need i say more?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Order of weight for 3 seasons..

1. Columbus
2. Pittsburgh
3. Florida
4. Atlanta
5. NYRangers
6. Carolina
7. Chicago
8. Nashville
9. Washington
10.Buffalo
11.Anaheim
12.Phoenix
13.Calgary
14.Minnesota
15.Los Angeles
16.Montreal
17.Tampa Bay
18.NYIslanders
19.Edmonton
20.San Jose
21.St. Louis
22.Boston
23.Dallas
24.Vancouver
25.Toronto
26.New Jersey
27.Philadelphia
28.Ottawa
29.Colorado
30.Detroit

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The "average" thing doesn't work either. It doesn't take into account teams that have risen or fallen. For example the Kings(yes, my team :p: ) would have been one of the worst teams in the league this year whereas the Preds and Flames could have challenged for their division.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
With all that's made of Washington not deserving another #1 pick, who would like to see Columbus (Nash, Zherdev), Pittsburgh (Malkin, MA Fleury, Whitney), or Atlanta (Lehtonen, Kovalchuck, Heatley, Coburn) have a go at it?

:eek:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Wait--I thought Bill Daly was quoted as saying (by Kara Yorio of The Sporting News) that it would be a 30 team lottery --but based on the results of 2003/04--where did the 3 year finish average come in as any confirmation by an NHL official?

Has there been any clarification by Daly or the NHL on this matter?

My understanding of what Daly said was that all 30 teams would get a shot at #1,but weighted on just the 2003/04 finish...

Thus if the Hockey Gods wanted to be really cruel,Chicago would get bumped down 1 slot to #3 AGAIN,and arch-fiend Detroit will somehow luck out and go to #1 and get Crosby by winning the lotto from their miniscule statistical chance...either them or some "big spender team" will luck out and win it---BECAUSE the Hockey Gods are cruel and enjoy a good laugh...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
God are cruel? I'd consider myself lucky if I were a Hawks fan. There is no way in hell that they finish that low if a season were played.

I guess that's what the Kings get for competing last season. They had every reason to quit, but didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad