30% Americans selected in the draft

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
will the NHL still be popular in canada when the U.S. takes over as major supplier of NHL talent?You know that it is inevitable.

Isn't that a bait question? You know what the response will be, why try to start s**t up? For the record, Hockey will still be more popular in Canada than it will ever be in the States.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Isn't that a bait question? You know what the response will be, why try to start s**t up? For the record, Hockey will still be more popular in Canada than it will ever be in the States.

sorry if it came off that way.I was honestly curious as to how canadians would view the NHL when the majority of players in it are american. It would be kind of like a paradox in that the NHL is barely noticed on the american sports radar yet they will eventually be the biggest suppliers in an internationally comprised sports league.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
sorry if it came off that way.I was honestly curious as to how canadians would view the NHL when the majority of players in it are american. It would be kind of like a paradox in that the NHL is barely noticed on the american sports radar yet they will eventually be the biggest suppliers in an internationally comprised sports league.

I'm not sure I understand your logic here

1. Americans represent 30% of 2007's draftees
2. ???
3. The majority of NHL players are American

Hockey in the U.S. is stronger than ever. I'm thrilled about it and hope it continues for a long time...but what you're saying is still a stretch.

Edit: I should clarify because "hockey in the U.S. is stronger than ever" sounds like an incredibly stupid and blatantly false statement at face value...I'm talking purely about the U.S. hockey programs and the talent they're exporting and not the ratings, revenues, attendance, etc, in the U.S.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005

When Canadians stop selling out all NHL games, the 6 Canadian teams making up 1/3 of all league revenues, when the World Juniors don't sell out anymore (remember when the had them in North Dakota, the only reason it sold out was the fans from canada driving down) selling 14000 seat deposits for a team that might never come, when the best TV deals actually come from Canada, when kids stop playing hockey in general in all the devalopmental leagues from all 10 provinces and 3 territories, then we will see if hockey will die in Canada.

Transported Upstater

Canada is still > all other countries in regards to producing hockey talent, and there is no reason to believe that they will relinquish that crown anytime soon, IMO.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I'm not sure I understand your logic here

1. Americans represent 30% of 2007's draftees
2. ???
3. The majority of NHL players are American

Hockey in the U.S. is stronger than ever. I'm thrilled about it and hope it continues for a long time...but what you're saying is still a stretch.

i'm saying eventually with the U.S. having a sizable population advantage, they will at some point be producing more NHL players than any other country. Maybe 10-20 years from now?Right now I think the active NHL contingent is like 50% canadians,20% americans and the rest europeans.I'll have to double check that though.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The US' best athletes play football, basketball, baseball and THEN hockey...you're starting to see this shift now and as more and more of our top athletes choose hockey, you'll start to see a major shift in power. Canada will still hold the crown for the forseeable future but it's inevitable that the US will surpass the rest of the world. The question is merely when.

Bryzga lol*

The U.S. shouldn't get ahead of themselves... there's still plenty of other nations producing talented players even though the draft doesn't show it. But the USA has certainly improved in the past few years..

But, as for the Canadian vs U.S. thing.... 16 canadians in the first round vs. 10 americans in the first round....I don't think Canada has to worry...especially with guys like Stamkos and Tavares coming up.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
The US hockey programs have been getting better, but Canada still produces the best players.

Even if the US did take over, the sport will continue to be #1 sport in Canada

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
When Canadians stop selling out all NHL games, the 6 Canadian teams making up 1/3 of all league revenues, when the World Juniors don't sell out anymore (remember when the had them in North Dakota, the only reason it sold out was the fans from canada driving down) selling 14000 seat deposits for a team that might never come, when the best TV deals actually come from Canada, when kids stop playing hockey in general in all the devalopmental leagues from all 10 provinces and 3 territories, then we will see if hockey will die in Canada.

you know what would be cool?it will never happen though.I'd like to see the NHL split into a Canadian hockey league and an american hockey league with 24 teams a piece.Only canadians can play in the chl and only americans can play in the ahl. There would be interleague games but both leagues would have their own playoffs.Champions of each league would go on to play for the Stanley Cup.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
you know what would be cool?it will never happen though.I'd like to see the NHL split into a Canadian hockey league and an american hockey league with 24 teams a piece.Only canadians can play in the chl and only americans can play in the ahl. There would be interleague games but both leagues would have their own playoffs.Champions of each league would go on to play for the Stanley Cup.

So how about an American team stacked with Canadians? Will that ever work? Will we ever see an American team stacked with Canadian win the cup? :sarcasm:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
The US hockey programs have been getting better, but Canada still produces the best players.

Even if the US did take over, the sport will continue to be #1 sport in Canada

Exactly. While I am very happy that the US is producing all of these quality players...the US may surpass Canada in terms of talent and quantity, but almost certainly not in terms of popularity.

*I will take this opportunity though to say that it seems like more and more Californian-born players will be becoming major players in hockey, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) :handclap:

Last edited:

Dusty Grooves*

will the NHL still be popular in canada when the U.S. takes over as major supplier of NHL talent?You know that it is inevitable.

''AMERICANS'' ... Canadiens live in AMERICA so we are NORTH AMERICANS ... ''US'' Born player is better

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
The US' best athletes play football, basketball, baseball and THEN hockey...you're starting to see this shift now and as more and more of our top athletes choose hockey, you'll start to see a major shift in power. Canada will still hold the crown for the forseeable future but it's inevitable that the US will surpass the rest of the world. The question is merely when.

Inevitable? Hardly.

Canada has one of the most dynamic economies on the planet and the country will only keep growing. And the rate of growth in Canada's population far outstrips the main hockey producing regions in the United States.

I'm certain the U.S. will never have more players than Canada in the NHL in my lifetime. And it's a reasonable proposition to suggest the U.S. will never overtake Canada.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Inevitable? Hardly.

Canada has one of the most dynamic economies on the planet and the country will only keep growing. And the rate of growth in Canada's population far outstrips the main hockey producing regions in the United States.

I'm certain the U.S. will never have more players than Canada in the NHL in my lifetime. And it's a reasonable proposition to suggest the U.S. will never overtake Canada.

You've never talked to an economist have you? The US is the biggest economy in the world. "Dynamic" doesn't do it justice. It continues to grow as well. You forgot the fact that 300 million people and counting live in the United States versus Canada's population. It doesn't take nearly as big a % of the population to like hockey in order for it to surpass Canada. And it will, probably within the next 20 years.

I don't like or care for Canadian insecurity on the issue. It will always be "your" game and permanently ingrained in the culture in perpetuity. Isn't that good enough?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site

Sure, Majority still comes out of Canada, even when its not a strong year. Like it or not Canada has been the big/best supplier to hockey for ions and probably will be the biggest/best supplier for a long time. US will be the solid #2.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
You've never talked to an economist have you? The US is the biggest economy in the world. "Dynamic" doesn't do it justice. It continues to grow as well. You forgot the fact that 300 million people and counting live in the United States versus Canada's population. It doesn't take nearly as big a % of the population to like hockey in order for it to surpass Canada. And it will, probably within the next 20 years.

I don't like or care for Canadian insecurity on the issue. It will always be "your" game and permanently ingrained in the culture in perpetuity. Isn't that good enough?

300mil to 30mil, doesn't matter, because I bet more Canadians play organized and unorganized hockey! The grass root programs are top notch, support is top notch, leagues are top notch. CHL is the worlds best amatuer development league, and its not even close. Canadian's support hockey, they don't just see it on TV, its a huge part of life. For most americans "hockey is that Canadian game on ice".

Transported Upstater

That would most certainly not be cool.

That would make the NHL too political and nation-based. If I wanted to watch politics, I'd turn on FOX News and take a heaping **** on top of the TV box and then smear it on the screen. Not fun. It's the freaking NHL becoming a nationality tournament like the World Cup, Olympics, etc. We don't need the countries battling eac other more than that, that's plenty. The NHL needs to work in harmony with all nationalities and to teach players how to disavow the differences, unite as a team, and win the price.

Plus, what about me? I'm an American who is a fan of a Canadian team, and could care less about USA hockey as a whole; I cheer for Finland in the Olympics and have cheered for the Canucks...OVER US...if my relationship with USA hockey is at a low point, World Championship, etc. What then? And how about Canadian fans who cheer for American teams? There are countless people on this board wo do so, including some very high-profile members. I have to watch my favorite team, which is north of the border, play games against only Canadian teams....I'm screwed.

You'll need interleague play, AND PLENTY OF IT. Toronto-Boston, Toronto-Buffalo, Toronto-Detroit...MUST, MUST PLAY, and that's just the start of it. Minnesota needs games with Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton, no doubt...and the list goes on.

What is wrong with working TOGETHER with Canadians to produce the best hockey talent we can as North Americans? After all many Canadians are going NCAA while Americans go to the CHL too, and is it right to deny them the best (in their particular case) way to better themselves as hockey players? What if a BC kid has had his heart set on attenting Denver, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Cornell (hey we get a lot of BCHL'ers, especially Nanaimo, I'm not just being a homer) or other schools, and who at 15 years old wasn't ready to sign away the opportunity to EVER play college hockey. You can always try NCAA and then switch to the CHL, but there's no going back after that.

And those Canadian college/bound kids in the east take wild routes to the NCAA, including a bunch prep schools all over the county, and some join the USHL.

Once you sign that CHL deal, that's where you play until a team drafts you, and after that (once you sign a contract), your drafted team controls where they want you to play, whether it's WHL/CHL/QMJHL or the show. They control where you play as long as their signed with the team. The process repeats, with 19-year olds playing NHL or CHL as to be determined by the staff. At the end of the season, signing with an AHL affiliate for the playoffs is common (especially if the player was sent down.

NCAA kids can stay as many years as they want until the eligibilty runs out, during those times, they are under no obligation to sign with their team until they choose to be. Then, you either step into the NHL or spend time down at the AHL, and play thers until you are called up.

Last edited by a moderator:

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
I think even if that happened, which is quite possible if hockey gets more popular and more kids keep playing it in the US, hockey would still be as popular in Canada as it is now.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Inevitable? Hardly.

If you want to believe that, go ahead. US hockey's amazing recent growth is only the beginning. We certainly have a ways to go, but eventually we will surpass Canada. In any case, there's nothing good that can come of this discussion so I'll end my participation on that note. You're entitled to believe whatever you choose.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria

If that happens.. and that's definatly an if..

I think it might be more popular.

The Russia - Canada international hockey rivalry is not what it used to be.

The Canada - U.S rivalry is one of the best to watch in the sport, both team's hate loosing against eachother, and both always have something to prove. US Hockey fans desperately want their team to beat Canada, and Team Canada fans despise seeing their team loose to the States.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->