3 stars of the game. Origin?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I believe this is an accurate answer:

When Imperial Oil joined Hockey Night in Canada as its principal sponsor in 1936-37, one of the traditions it established on the program was the post-game ritual of choosing the three stars of the game.

After the featured game ended, the three stars would be announced and each player would skate out onto the ice separately to receive applause -- or boos, depending on where the game was played.

Though the custom initially started as a way for Imperial to promote its "Three Star" brand of gasoline, it was also a way for the NHL to get recognition for its best ambassadors, players like Maurice "The Rocket" Richard of the Canadiens and Johnny Bower of the Maple Leafs.

When Imperial Oil left HNIC as a sponsor in 1976, the tradition of choosing the three stars remained.

Choosing the three stars of the game is not exclusive to HNIC, however. Just about every level of hockey has adopted the format as a way to recognize the best players on the ice in games and tournaments.

One famous "Three Star" selection was on March 23, 1944, when Maurice Richard named the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 stars after scoring all five goals in the Canadiens 5-1 playoff win over the Maple Leafs.

I do remember the Esso commercials being a staple of the broadcasts back when I first started following the NHL in the 1960's.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I see you read Total Hockey 2. That article is very, very familiar to me. No sense me repeating it.

Chili said:
I believe this is an accurate answer:

I do remember the Esso commercials being a staple of the broadcasts back when I first started following the NHL in the 1960's.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
ClassicHockey said:
I see you read Total Hockey 2. That article is very, very familiar to me. No sense me repeating it.

Great publication, I refer to it alot. I started a thread on 40 year old goaltenders and that's where I got my info.

There's a town I visit on the weekends where the proprietor is dressed the same way the Esso serviceman from the '60's used to dress in the commercials (something like this). Takes me back.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Saw this on ebay: 1932 Globe and Mail article

You can see the three star selection as well as the Imperial 3 Star gas ad down in the left hand corner.

Looks like King Clancy was the first star that night long ago.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad