3 Games In...

Discussion in 'New York Islanders' started by NYI365, Oct 9, 2017.

?

Most Glaring Hole To Patch Moving Forward?

1. Top 4D

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Top 2C

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. I'll get back to you by the TDL...

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Sheva7

Sheva7 Work Hahd Play Smaht

Oh...and as for the 'glaring hole'...

I don't think there is one...but if we could somehow upgrade Hickey into a quality offensive dman...ya that would be huge.

2. SI

SI Registered User

I believe Trouba is not going to sign long term with Winnipeg. He is an RFA next season with eyes on a 1 year deal to get UFA in 2019/2020.

If jets are out of it they might get a decent package at the deadline - especially cap hit is like less than 2m.

If he does become available, Isles should be all over it- Leddy - Trouba 1st pairing might be the right up there with Werenski-Jones

3. FourRings

FourRings Registered User

I'd love Trouba on the Islanders, but what would you give up for him?

4. WagnerGrad96

WagnerGrad96 Registered User

A Little of this and a Littel of that
    3 games in? Jeez!! Can you wait until at least 10?

5. RyanPulock

RyanPulock But muh Brooklyn

I don't think the D is a problem yet. The biggest question mark was the young defenseman and they look good so far. The biggest problem is that CdH can't go a shift without turning the puck over.

6. majormet

majormet Registered User

Owns Direct Marketing Biz
    I would prefer to see how Vancouver does and if we are in contention and they are not, move in on Gudbranson quickly we have 3 top 4 dmen, I think CDH is a bottom pairing guy. You can play Gudbranson with Leddy and use Pelech with Boychuk...

Top 4 dman over 2C

7. kmo429

kmo429 Registered User

Agreed a top 4 D would be more beneficial than a 2C, but I think we need someone who is willing to jump up on the play and not hang back when initiating the rush. Outside of Leddy (who is not even great at this) we have nobody who can make that dangerous first pass. Not sure who fits the criteria of top 4, non-playoff team, establishe dpuck moving dman but that's the guy we shoudl target late November/early December, or if not, the TD.

8. YesCubed

YesCubed i don't read replies

The powerplay

CDH is 10x the dman Gudbranson is...

9. Bones45

Bones45 Prince is a Redneck

This team is complete garbage.

ISLANDERS66 likes this.
  10. majormet

majormet Registered User

Owns Direct Marketing Biz
    CDH is very mistake prone on the outlet passes, he kills us every game with 2-3 of these intercepted passes... that is why the Isles aren't into him long term.

11. YesCubed

YesCubed i don't read replies

He doesn't have a partner that can handle the puck

12. kmo429

kmo429 Registered User

Not sure if sarcasm or just a significantly inaccurate hot take.

13. GrandmaSlices51631

GrandmaSlices51631 Registered User

Perhaps he's just telling it like it is.

Bones45 likes this.
  14. redbull

redbull yes yes yes

I see a pretty flawed team with a weak defense and average goaltending, they will be in tough to make the playoffs.
    When they're going, they're really good offensively. Zipping around, generating offense - but prone to huge mistakes/turnovers leading to high-quality chances against.

I'm surprised how sloppy they've played this year. Fumbling passes, unable to string together breakouts or zone entries - generally very clumsy and erratic play. They play like it's first day of pre-season.

I think this team suffers from elite skill that's probably 2-3 years away from being impact players (Ho-Sang, Barzal, Beauvillier),
    players that are not good enough compared to the top teams in the east (besides Tavares) and a lackluster defense that has Leddy and not much else.

I was hoping this would be a contending team, but it's not. Too many holes.

Since the bottoming out in 2008, there hasn't been a wave of great players that all top teams have. I don't see anyone 23-27 that the Islanders have developed that can be impact (or very good) players. Best being Anders Lee, maybe Brock Nelson.
    I've been happy with Mayfield, Pelech, Hickey - they've been better than expected but not much is expected from them. Boychuk looks slow, deHaan can't pass and makes dumb mistakes (though I think he'll be okay) and the forwards are our biggest asset yet cannot score, especially not on the PP.

I like this team, but they aren't a top team in the East. Unless Ho-Sang, Barzal, Beauvillier can get really good, really fast (both offensively and defensively) then this will be a long year.

Then again, it's really early.

Is Tavares signed yet?

15. seafoam

seafoam Bowery Sponsor

Trouba had an opportunity to sign long term there and did not.

Have to think the relation between player and team there isn't the greatest.

16. seafoam

seafoam Bowery Sponsor

I have my doubts that he signs long term there as well. I'd offer some combination of 1-2 of our young defensemen (depending on which one is going the other way + Bellows/Dal Colle + 1st rounder.

Unless of course, Winnipeg has interest in de Haan (which I'm going to say they do not considering he can hit UFA in less than 12 months).

17. RyanPulock

RyanPulock But muh Brooklyn

Honestly at this point I'd dress 7 D and have Pulock play the 1PP with 4th line minutes thrown in. This powerplay is going to sink us by 10 games in.

Svengoolie likes this.
  18. Bones45

well -- another season shot to hell....

19. Sheva7

Sheva7 Work Hahd Play Smaht

Ppl will complain about the goaltending & lack of offence from the JT line....but my big beef is with the bottom 6 fwds.

Stylistically, the bottom 2 lines just don't make any sense to me. I try to imagine what the reasons could be for having the lines the way they are, but it just brings me back to the same conclusion - This mgmt team & coaching staff are totally out to lunch.

Like it or not, Brock Nelson is one of our best players & a good goal scorer....and he's being trotted out with the two lowest skilled players on the team. Why???

Beauvillier & Ho-Sang are skilled, offense first type players....why the **** are they playing Casey Cizikas???? I mean....I lover Zeeker....but this is just a terrible fit.

How this coaching staff expects to get the most out of their players while running out these lines really boggles my mind. Again, this is the exact same approach Cappy took when he was here, which was basically a "Get the best out of your low skill plugs, rather than the other way around" philosophy. It's TOTALLY BACKWARDS! Nothing has changed. Nothing.

I am VERY curious as to what they will look like once Clutterbuck is back from injury...(bye bye Ho-Sang, have fun in the 'meetings').

I was very optimistic in the summer and throughout the preseason...but not so much anymore. We are back to our mediocre ways.

I have no doubt that ppl will see this as an overraction and will likely come back here after we win 1 or 2 games...but we will see how things shake out by the end of the season. At the moment, for the reasons mentioned above (backwards philosophy), I don't see us as anything more than a bubble team / possible wildcard team at best.

20. seafoam

seafoam Bowery Sponsor

I mean, they look exactly the same as years past. You're not wrong or overreacting.

21. Bones45

Damn -- and I had my parade walkin' shoes all ready to go...

22. Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney Phil!

I think Trouba would cost a lot more than that. No way you acquire a top pairing defender for what amounts to long shot defense prospects and a couple of mid tier forward prospects. I wouldn't be surprised if his cost is close to what Seth Jones got.

23. SI

SI Registered User

Agreed - I wonder if a package of Pulock (Manitoba boy) or Toews, Dal Colle or Bellows, and the lower #pick in next years draft.
    Agreed, but Jets are not going to get a RyJO back with only a year left and no guarantee he resigns. It will be interesting this offseason to see what the jets and Trouba do.

24. SI

SI Registered User

Another D man I think would fit the bill here would be Tanev - if the Canucks stumble this season and end up at the bottom of the conference - I wonder if Tanev would be made available and what the price would be - I wonder if a Bellows, #1, young D man would work here.

25. kmo429

kmo429 Registered User

The team was middle of the pack last year (bottkm 5 first half, top 5 second half) and reians mostly the same. In Barzal, JHS, Eberle, out Strome and Hamonic. Played solid games against the Blues and Ducks, and the team is "garbage." He's not telling it like it is, he's telling it like his false perception sees it.

dood likes this.