3 Games In...

Most Glaring Hole To Patch Moving Forward?

• Top 4D

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Top 2C

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I'll get back to you by the TDL...

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Interesting question 3 games in:

With the majority of the off-season focused on the Isles' search largely for a 2C (ALL those Duchene threads *shivers*), I ask are you still of the opinion that this team needs to acquire via trade/develop internally a legit 2C to take the "next step" moving forward?

Or has the departure of Travis Hamonic over the summer created a void in the Top 4 at this juncture that you believe is a more pressing need to fix, whether internally or via trade, than filling out the 2C position?

Do you feel that this team perhaps lacks both the 2C and Top 4 D? Which open position do you feel is more important to fill if you were Garth Snow?

Genuinely curious to see where everyone stands now. Something to ponder as this young and promising season starts to age as the days and weeks fly by......

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Not sure if his extension is weighing on him, but De Haan has been surprisingly disappointing in the early going.
I think he is the 2nd best D on the team, so I expect lot from De Haan

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Ask me in late November. Too early. If this team were 0-3 and not competing or had they not played hard against a good Blues team I would be a bit more concerned. They are fine with a west coast trip ahead.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I'm asking moreso which position is more important to fill by season's end in order for us to have a successful season and make the playoffs. I know it's early, Barzal has looked good, we haven't seen Pulock/Toews/Aho/Martinek yet etc etc, but I'm just curious which out of the 2C/Top 4D spot most of the posters here deem more important to have a definitive answer to if the team is to have success.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm asking moreso which position is more important to fill by season's end in order for us to have a successful season and make the playoffs. I know it's early, Barzal has looked good, we haven't seen Pulock/Toews/Aho/Martinek yet etc etc, but I'm just curious which out of the 2C/Top 4D spot most of the posters here deem more important to have a definitive answer to if the team is to have success.

We're in real trouble if we start seeing Martinek out there lol

Reactions: NYI365

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not sure if his extension is weighing on him, but De Haan has been surprisingly disappointing in the early going.
I think he is the 2nd best D on the team, so I expect lot from De Haan
I agree that De Haan has been a hot mess so far. It's early, so hopefully his alarm clock goes off soon...

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
hopefully his alarm clock goes off soon...
657793462.jpg

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
de Haan has been awful these first few games, I don't expect that to continue. Let's wait till the deadline.

Reactions: MJF

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
The D so far is the bigger concern although its very early. We have not seen Pulock yet so maybe it will be fine but our #2 RHD may need an upgrade. Our power play is still garbage and Im convinced it will never change

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Right now I'd say a #2 Center and a PP QB (no, Pulock is NOT a QB, he's the guy you set up) are equally necessary to get to the next level. The problem is that PP QBs ohn the back line are also #1 pair level players and we don't have one. Leddy is a terrific #2 but a mid-level #1. He's a really good all around player but he is not Karlsson, Keith, Doughty, etc. And on the PP he is not Ghost, Krug, etc,.

So we need to find a top 4 defenseman and a #2 center but how? Shipachyov might be available for the #2 spot but at this point in the season who's going to trade with us? Maybe a third of the season in, when teams are more comfortable with what they truly have, opens up the sale window. Vegas might well find our draft pick collection more valuable than other prospects and we can send them Nelson to balance the money if needed.

None of the defensemen we have drafted in the past ten years were all around as a top liner. Reinhart as supposed to be a shut down defender. DeHaan was supposed to be close but really has never seriously been considered for the first PP at any time. Pulock was supposed to be the player but now we see why he slipped to us if we are honest about it. Time to think outside the box? If we have to stay with what we have how about Pulock or Boychuck and Ho-Sang on the point? Lee in front with JT and either Eberle or Barzal. One thing I like about Ho-sang on the point is that with his quick first step he can change the shooting angle from out there easily and get the shot through.

But one thing is paramount over all to make the next step. This team needs a TRUE #1 defender. Watching yesterday's game you can see how valuable Pietrangelo is. When he's out there he CONTROLS the tempo, the tempo does not control him. You find a way to have Leddy and Boychuck on the #2 pair and you have Stanley Cup written all over it. It gets me sick to see all the available NHL defensemen we passed over to take Strome, Nino, Dal Colle, etc. That's the biggest missing piece.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Here are my 5 top takeaways from the first 3 games.

1. PP NEEDS to be better. Looked better against the Blues in terms of offensive zone control and pressure, but 4:34 straight on the PP with over a 1:20 of that on a 5-on-3 and you can't come away with a goal? Oof

2. De Haan has been very disappointing. Has not been able to recreate last year's form let alone build on it. Seems he may be trying to do too much?

3. Ho-Sang's skill is clear, but he seems to be turning the puck over a ton after making a great play himself to establish offensive zone possession. Same goes for Barzal at this point. I think both need to try and simplify, and start finding the open guy to pass to sooner.

4. Goaltending has been solid outside of game 1. Having these 2 in sync and performing well is vital to any chance we have to be successful this year. I like how Jaro performed well during the home opener after an opening night blunder, and Greiss shook off his rust and played great yesterday against the Blues. We need more of that.

5. Casey Cizikas belongs as the 3C. I am all for keeping him there in the long-haul. Has a ton of energy and will put up points with more skill around him. Nelson seems to have taken the 4th line role with open arms, as I am actually seeing some grit form him now that his role was "changed."

Reactions: MJF

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Our biggest needs imo are pulock and a top 4 defenseman. Pulock may have had an awful camp but the powerplay is still abysmal. I'd put him in for hickey (I know he had an assist and it could just be me but does anyone else feel like he's pinching WAY too much this season?) I think the forwards are only gonna get better with games played.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Our biggest needs imo are pulock and a top 4 defenseman. Pulock may have had an awful camp but the powerplay is still abysmal. I'd put him in for hickey (I know he had an assist and it could just be me but does anyone else feel like he's pinching WAY too much this season?) I think the forwards are only gonna get better with games played.

If you believe in CORSI Hickey is our best defender by a large margin right now and Hickey / Mayfield our best pairing. I would be very reluctant to break them up at this point.

You wanna give CDH a day off and try Pulock on this road trip I'd be all for it... CDH needs a kick in the ass.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
That would work too. I think mayfield has been really solid. Again hickey hasn't been bad per day but I hate seeing guys like eberle standing at the point bc hickey try's to play like Bobby Orr sometimes. Regardless I think if there's a Time to give pulock a game it's after going 0-6 on the PP
If you believe in CORSI Hickey is our best defender by a large margin right now and Hickey / Mayfield our best pairing. I would be very reluctant to break them up at this point.

You wanna give CDH a day off and try Pulock on this road trip I'd be all for it... CDH needs a kick in the ass.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I thought Hickey had a strong game yesterday. He is now +2 averaging a healthy 19 minutes.

Weight also trusted him in OT and he definitely looked good.
I thought Hickey was the weak link last year but I am encouraged by his play.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Winnipeg is out of it, I'd make a play for Jacob Trouba at the deadline.

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Trouba
Hickey-Mayfield/Pelech/Seidenberg

LI2RVA

Jul 8, 2016
Top 4 D. The fact that Pulock is thought of (at least in the coaching staff's mind) as the #8 should in itself tell us that we do not have a stable top 4. If he could play that role, he'd be in. Mayfield, Pelech, Hickey while good players in a bottom role are not the answer and have done nothing to suggest otherwise. deHaan, who I believe will come around, is a good #4, but who else can be a stablizing presence in a 3-4 role on this team? On the flip side with the offense, I feel we do have players who will settle in and are perfectly capable of carrying the team to the playoffs (even if every spot is not "ideal").

Last edited:

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
If Winnipeg is out of it, I'd make a play for Jacob Trouba at the deadline.

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Trouba
Hickey-Mayfield/Pelech/Seidenberg

Even if Winnipeg is dead last, they'll hold on to Trouba because they are still so young up front and re-building. Trouba is one of their core pieces. 2 years down the road and theyre still mediocre? Then it becomes a possibility, but not this year.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Sure I'll play...

1. As mentioned by several others...the powerplay must improve. No way around this one.

2. Top 2 lines are fine. Bottom 2 are a nightmare and will not score enough goals. Weight tried to get cute by switching things up but IMO hes spread them too thin.

3. As expected, there's going to be growing pains with the youg guys. Garth and his staff knew this going in to the season. So Weight needs to shut his mouth, be patient and show them the confidence they need. It's very disappointing to see he is doing the exact opposite of this with his handling of JHS - which is a damn shame...and it's only gonna get worse ...take a guess who's getting scratched once Clutterbuck is back....

Ya can't ever have too many 4th liners eh Capp...... eh Dougie???

4. Hopefully CDH got all the brain-farts out of his system already. We need him to be quality. Oh well, at least he isn't tied to the anchor Seidenberg anymore.

5. Halak should not be allowed to leave his crease.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->