GDT: 3/29/18 - Penguins @ Devils - Reel 'Em In Edition - 7PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Greene is never ready for the opening shift.

I know, drives me nuts he's always out there and right off the bat we're pinned in with a dangerous chance against

Greene literally our worst defenseman. That isn't even me just being hyperbolic. Stats back it up. His coris is a 44.99, rel percetange is -5.38, corsi plus minus is -239.

Moore has better stats than him. So does Lovejoy, Mueller, Butcher, Vatanen and Severson.

The only dman that had worse advanced stats than him was Santini, who was a rookie and was forced into the top pairing role with Greene, which was a bad coaching move by our staff of jackasses behind the bench.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
For the 654 time, the reason Santini's Corsi was "bad" was because he was literally the #1 player in the entire NHL in terms of Defensive Zone Starts.

#MisunderstandingCorsi

Reactions: BomaLightDevils

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i think this season for us should put the corsi argument to bed honestly. what's our record when we get outshot? what's our record when we outshoot the opponents?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Greene literally our worst defenseman. That isn't even me just being hyperbolic. Stats back it up. His coris is a 44.99, rel percetange is -5.38, corsi plus minus is -239.

Moore has better stats than him. So does Lovejoy, Mueller, Butcher, Vatanen and Severson.

The only dman that had worse advanced stats than him was Santini, who was a rookie and was forced into the top pairing role with Greene, which was a bad coaching move by our staff of jackasses behind the bench.
Something something tougher minutes, something something zone starts...

Your lack of context on almost every one of your posts is frightening.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Santini was put in a very difficult situation. He was asked to be a #1 shutdown defender 40 games into his career.

That is downright stupid in my opinion.

This coaching staff went from playing him 12 minutes a game to 22 overnight. Blame the staff for any results regarding Santini.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Santini was put in a very difficult situation. He was asked to be a #1 shutdown defender 40 games into his career.

This coaching staff went from playing him 12 minutes a game to 22 overnight. Blame the staff for any results regarding Santini.
Agree

That’s on the staff. They put him into a bigger role than he could handle.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Aside from Vatanen, none of those guys play remotely the same role as Greene. Bitch about Greene all you want, but again, it's not like any other defender we have would do a better job in his role. We've basically exhausted every option so far this year and Greene has been the best worst option.

First it was Greene - Santini which struggled. Greene - Severson was mixed into there a bit as well, but Severson isn't ready to handle that. After that, Vatanen came aboard and then it was Greene - Vatanen for a bit.

Then the staff attempted to give Moore the shutdown LD role alongside Vatanen around the end of December and beginning of January. It worked for a bit, but then Moore struggled.

The only other option right now that hasn't been tried is honestly Mueller - Vatanen. But with five games left and the playoffs on the line, that's a BIG risk to take. On top of that, Vatanen has looked awful lately as well.

Reactions: VaxjoDevil

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

I thought Santini was fine, he was just put into a position that was beyond him at this current stage of his career. I look forward to seeing him next season.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Thank you, Pageau, for making sure this place remained even-keel today.

can't tell you how relieved i was to read that final score on the train. we're not in the same position as before the game, we're in an even better position because there's one fewer game to make it up. and one fewer easy game for them and one fewer tough game for us at that.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think I rather have Kevin Greene on this team currently over Andy Greene

or maybe Joe Greene

I'll take...

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: MJMazzarone

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i smell a santini for Ho-Sang trade, 1 for 1 :sarcasm:

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
andy greene is old yeller. it's sad but reality is reality.

zajac is growing more into a clint eastwood in gran torino type, which is good.

Difference being I was really sad when I knew they were going to off old yeller

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Difference being I was really sad when I knew they were going to off old yeller

if you're exclusively happy about the sharp decline of a career-long devil who has been quite serviceable until this season and who were were all happy to see get the captaincy when he first got it then i don't know what to tell you

it's a sad situation for me

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The Greene-is-so-bad narrative here is so overblown.
I agree to an extent, any other LHD will struggle more in his spot (maybe not Mueller since we have not seen it yet). My issue with Greene is he is failing miserably on simple clears and passes. It is mind boggling annoying. Besides that I think he is OK. We need an upgrade on the left side though.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMAGINE how much worse we would have been these last 2-3 seasons if we never had andy greene, and we were pretty terrible with him.

we'd be sabres-every-year bad.
Andy was in legit conversation about being one of the best shutdown defensemen in the league. Prime Greene was a FANTASTIC player, and he was a beast. I think back to when he trucked over Ovechkin and Crosby in the same season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Agree

That’s on the staff. They put him into a bigger role than he could handle.
I don't think he did a terrible job either. But what's maddening is instead of putting him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for a while, they just shipped him off and put Lovejoy on the 3rd pair... I have said before that I understand why they did it but it still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->