Post-Game Talk: 3/17/18 | Sharks 5 @ Canucks 3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Perfect tank night......young guys Leipsic, Goldy, Horvat and Virtanen play well....Stecher might have had his best game of the season....but sixth loss in a row....31st place a real possibility now....but the game was another reminder of why the Canucks need to work in the off-season to improve their goaltending.....that fourth goal just can't go in on a legitimate starting NHL goaltender......but has been a trend the whole season with these two goalies....it's not how many saves they make, but when they make them....and killer goals early and late this team just can't overcome.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yeah...not sure what else you can really expect at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So much missing on this team. Skill. Timing. Grit. But mainly skill.

How many times in a game do you hear Shorty talking about rolling pucks? A lot. How many flubbed passes, whiffed shots, missed reads...it's just on and on and on.

The little engine just ain't got enough juice to get the cart up the hill, and there's just no two ways about it.

But at least we kept pace with Phoenix. Or Arizona, or whoever the ****.
My friend. we can either look at the negatives or look at the positives...
We know you points...

Reactions: Nomobo

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My friend. we can either look at the negatives or look at the positives...
We know you points...
No, I know. There are some kernels of hope in some of the young ones...Leipsic is growing on me. I can see a bottom six role for him going forward. I like that he plays with more edge than Benning's usual dumpster dive guys. Goldobin had a good goal...but I just don't see much there. D is crap, Marky of course let in the weak GWG again...

Yeah. Looking forward to about five years from now.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Perfect tank night......young guys Leipsic, Goldy, Horvat and Virtanen play well....Stecher might have had his best game of the season....but sixth loss in a row....31st place a real possibility now....but the game was another reminder of why the Canucks need to work in the off-season to improve their goaltending.....that fourth goal just can't go in on a legitimate starting NHL goaltender......but has been a trend the whole season with these two goalies....it's not how many saves they make, but when they make them....and killer goals early and late this team just can't overcome.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember goalie Grant Fuhr on the great 80's Oilers teams. He let in quite a few goals, but even though his team usually outscored the opposition, he often made the "key" save late in the game when it mattered. That's why his team loved him.

It has to be really tough for our goalies when they don't have the benefit of a high scoring team.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
No, I know. There are some kernels of hope in some of the young ones...Leipsic is growing on me. I can see a bottom six role for him going forward. I like that he plays with more edge than Benning's usual dumpster dive guys. Goldobin had a good goal...but I just don't see much there. D is crap, Marky of course let in the weak GWG again...

I see more in Leipsic than Goldobin, despite no points tonight. He's an explosive skater and quite shifty once he has the puck. I just want him to play with a little more abrasiveness and edge. He's taking penalties anyway, he might as well get under the other team's skin in the process.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Well said, and I agree. My point was that we need to be positive amide the crap.
Why do you think I try so hard to make people laugh?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I see more in Leipsic than Goldobin, despite no points tonight. He's an explosive skater and quite shifty once he has the puck. I just want him to play with a little more abrasiveness and edge. He's taking penalties anyway, he might as well get under the other team's skin in the process.

I liked Leipsic's response to Pavelski's late shot on the empty net. Shows he has a pulse. And maybe some Irish blood in his veins. I like players who acknowledge there's sh*t on their shoes without having their noses being rubbed in it.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game is solid indication of how good organization and bad organization compare. A few years ago it looked like both the Canucks and the Sharks were aging and heading into a period of decline. Both had had solid runs but now looked like lack of high draft choices and players just getting past their prime would have their effects. Well in one case these factors, aided by horrible management, dramatically did. The Canucks became a wasteland. But the Sharks remained a good team. In fact,the Sharks are in many ways are a team on the rise. They have great cap space and emerging building blocks in players like Hertl, LaBlanc, Meier, Karlsson, Donskoi, Tierney, DeMelo, Goodrow, et al. They are team that drafts and develops well something the Canucks really haven't done. Moreover, they do not misuse assets. The Sharks have excellent management who have got and retain their positions by showing good judgement and skill while we have alumni cronies who are in with Linden and Co.

One example is Baumgartner. What did he do to become defensive coach? Did he do a good job in Utica? Not really - there was no one who showed much improvement. Subban, for example regresssed. Much the same for Pedan. Sautner was doing terrible until this year after Baumgartner left. You might say he is better than the numb skull Lidster that helped chase Tryamkin off the team but I think it obvious that Baumgartner only got the job because he was one of Linden's ole boys. As long as hiring is done along these lines, the Canucks will wallow around in the out house of the NHL. Not pretty.

In this game, thought some of the younger player were better

Goldobin while still a good bit away from being NHL ready but showed some good offensive signs.

Leipsic is erratic and a bit all over the place, especially defensively, but made himself a factor.

Stecher raced into trouble a couple of times but his energy and speed was probably the most important factor in the spirited effort in the third. Thought del Zotto and Edler were also good.

Having Tanev in for Hutton was a positive but if you are into the tank (which seems to only sensible position) then you lose a key element to a complete tank when Hutton doesn't play.

Overall a good effort (admittedly against a injured and tired Sharks team) but there were negatives

- Markstrom sieved out on the winner and was not better than ordinary.

- Sedins want to take on the burden of righting the ship but can't do it. Just not there anymore. Overplayed their shifts, especially on the PP, as they tried to be the offensive leaders. All this does is take away the time from player who need time to develop. It is perhaps the the most depressing point about the Canucks that they still turn to the Sedins as their leaders. I really don't think the Sedins can fit the description of players buying time till some of the prospects are ready. They are not really buying time as they are simply players contributing to losses. They should not be retained moving ahead. Management continues to try to eke out enough from the Sedins to try to cover the embarrassment that the team really is. I mean can we finish any nearer to the bottom with or without the Sedins.

- Boucher hasn't really developed much. At least off this game - have been away lately so maybe a little harsh.

- Motte looks like a player who can skate miles and do nothing.

- Archibald looked more AHler than NHLer in this game.

Would say that I really mistrust any attempt to get Kane. There was the late play where on a Shark break in on a empty net, he put the play off side. That's the type of play that has dogged Kane and makes you wonder about his smarts. Don't see him as dressing room leader. Throwing big money at him as the potential to being a huge disaster. However, our management is desperate and prone to terrible signings so likely they throw big time money at Kane.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
272 min 9 seconds and counting since last ES goal. Currently at 113, last year they had 128. Can they make it?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well said, and I agree. My point was that we need to be positive amide the crap.
Why do you think I try so hard to make people laugh?
Not to rain on that parade, but laughs are everywhere. Hit youtube, watch people fall over or cats chase things into walls or Ferrari owners bail over riverbanks and you can laugh. "Ah ha ha, that kitty ate a lizard! Ah ha ha, that Corvette fishtailed into a garbage truck! Ah ha ha, that Trump voter's white sheets caught on fire when he went to light the cross! Ha ha ha!" Sure, we can laugh.

But on another level, the fact we're all laughing means something's wrong.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Not to rain on that parade, but laughs are everywhere. Hit youtube, watch people fall over or cats chase things into walls or Ferrari owners bail over riverbanks and you can laugh. "Ah ha ha, that kitty ate a lizard! Ah ha ha, that Corvette fishtailed into a garbage truck! Ah ha ha, that Trump voter's white sheets caught on fire when he went to light the cross! Ha ha ha!" Sure, we can laugh.

Really. You seriously mean that.
We need to have a serious chat about you.
Not a laughing matter..

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

The fact that you are NOT laughing, means something is more wrong.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The pitchforks are really out for Markstrom. He’s not that bad of a goalie. League average or slightly below. He can definitely be a starter on a mediocre team and with a better PK his numbers wouldn’t be too bad. At even strength he’s right at the league average.

And as I’ve said for years: every goalie lets in soft goals.

Reactions: tyhee

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
Not sure if you're old enough to remember goalie Grant Fuhr on the great 80's Oilers teams. He let in quite a few goals, but even though his team usually outscored the opposition, he often made the "key" save late in the game when it mattered. That's why his team loved him.

It has to be really tough for our goalies when they don't have the benefit of a high scoring team.
Must be really hard on the team that the goalies don't make the key save either... Burn it all down.

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018

Must be really hard on the team that the goalies don't make the key save either... Burn it all down.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The pitchforks are really out for Markstrom. He’s not that bad of a goalie. League average or slightly below. He can definitely be a starter on a mediocre team and with a better PK his numbers wouldn’t be too bad. At even strength he’s right at the league average.

And as I’ve said for years: every goalie lets in soft goals.

Markstrom deserves far less criticism than the majority of this trash roster. There are elite goaltenders performing on or below Markstrom's level in the NHL right now. He isn't even close to elite, but Vancouver fans for whatever reason are unable to see past the goalie.

How many people wanted Luongo gone after the 2nd round in 2009? What about the 2nd round in 2010? What about the 1st and 4th rounds in 2011? What about when he was "flopping too much"? Luongo still going strong while other 'superior' goalies are playing nowhere near the level he's at.

Markstrom is no Luongo but I would not dump him and force Demko in behind this lineup. Not only would I like to see Markstrom play behind a team that isn't this bad, but I'd really rather not ruin Demko. His numbers aren't out of this world amazing, they seem pretty comparable to Lack's

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Markstrom deserves far less criticism than the majority of this trash roster. There are elite goaltenders performing on or below Markstrom's level in the NHL right now. He isn't even close to elite, but Vancouver fans for whatever reason are unable to see past the goalie.

How many people wanted Luongo gone after the 2nd round in 2009? What about the 2nd round in 2010? What about the 1st and 4th rounds in 2011? What about when he was "flopping too much"? Luongo still going strong while other 'superior' goalies are playing nowhere near the level he's at.

Markstrom is no Luongo but I would not dump him and force Demko in behind this lineup. Not only would I like to see Markstrom play behind a team that isn't this bad, but I'd really rather not ruin Demko. His numbers aren't out of this world amazing, they seem pretty comparable to Lack's
Well said.
The goalie reflects what is in front of him..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad