3-1-Y (Draft Game)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For the 2018 NHL Draft, list the following information, related to your opinions on the Wings:

1) Name 3 players (other than Dahlin) that you’d be thrilled to see Detroit take with their 1st pick.
2) Name 1 player that you’d prefer they avoid.
3) Include reasons why (Y) for each of your selections.

Here’s mine:

1) Bouchard, Boqvist, and Dobson. A quality defenseman is my top priority, and the skillset I want includes excellent vision and passing to start a rush, quarterbacking a power play, and being responsible in their own end.

2) Tkachuk. I can’t completely put my finger on it, but if there’s a forward whose rating gets too much of a boost from things like physical play and scoring dirty goals, it’s Brady.

Let's see who makes each person's list, and how much things change between now and the draft!

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
1) Boqvist, Hughes and Bouchard

Boqvist has the highest upside outside of Dahlin in this draft IMO. He's a tremendously skilled defender that would lead the offense. Everyone knows who he compares to... Hughes is a similarly skilled D. I love his skating, and can overlook his size... If we want a bigger D then Bouchard or Dobson would be the way to go. Bouchard has a ton of offensive potential and is a big riser for me.

2) Barrett Hayton. His scouting report reads like a guy we'd love. High character C that does everything well but maybe lacks elite upside. In this draft I'm going to be fairly happy as long as we don't reach. If we do I think it would be for Hayton. I also worry we'd reach for Veleno but he's a good enough player that I'd only sort of be upset especially with the way he's played lately.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
1) Svech, Bouchard, Boqvist
Svech- I like the idea of having the brothers together. I know others are saying this should be irrelevant, but I personally like that idea. I think it would help Evgeny find his game a bit. Of course you don't solely pick him based on his last name- he is a dynamic/highly skilled offensive player who would help us increase our dreadful offensive production for many years to come.

Bouchard- Ultra talented, his vision is his strong suit. We need a young puck mover. Hronek should be good, but I don't see Hronek as being a true #1 PP quarterback, and Bouchard screams this. I also like that he has decent size. His skating should improve

Boqvist- Similar reasons to Bouchard. A bit of a wildcard, but I think he is extremely talented, and is a true #1 PP QB

2) This is a tough one because I really like the top 9 or 10 guys in this draft and would be happy with any of them. I'd avoid us gambling on a lower rated player (Farabee/Wilde) assuming all the D we like somehow get picked up. Nothing against Farabee, he's just not a top 10 pick, and I guess I'm scared we go off the board a bit, although it is highly unlikely.

At the end of the day, I'm gonna assume we don't win the lottery, so we should end up with one of (Boqvist/Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson/Smith) and I would be happy win any of these 5 players.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
It's too early for me. Haven't even seen Boqvist, so I go by scouting reports and stats (stats aren't impressive).

1) Zadina
2) Dobson
3) Veleno

Guy I'd avoid:
Hughes - Not big on drafting a 5'9 defenseman in the top 10

Who will Detroit pick?
Hughes or Ty Smith - I think they go back to the UofM or WHL well.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
1. Dobson
2. Bouchard
3. Smith

Each of these guys brings a slightly different element that the Wings lack. Dobson is more the athletic, slightly raw high-ceiling defenseman that other teams take early, but Detroit never does. Bouchard is a super-skilled PP quarterback with top end passing ability and a good shot. Smith is a great skating two-way guy who might have more offensive upside than the consensus will tell you.

Do not want: Hughes
It's not that he's small; Smith is basically the same height. It's not that he isn't skilled; he's ultra-skilled. It's that he's barely a defenseman. Right now I can't even imagine him playing in an NHL-style defensive scheme. He might as well be playing a different sport at this point in time. Can he transition? Maybe, but I don't like the risk.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Forward (Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk) with our own pick.

Defenceman with the Vegas pick.

I don't really no about excluded list. Maybe those ~5'9 midget defencemen. Get them at 2nd round if there's some real talent which falls.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
1. Svechnikov - Assuming we don’t get Dahlin if we’re at the spot to take him, I want him. Him and Mantha could put up some goals and our top 6 would look quite good.

Dobson - based on where we’re likely to pick...he seems to be an all situations guy that we need as an anchor to build the defense around. Get a smaller puck moving top pairing defenseman later in the 1st or next draft or....

Boqvist - I had a hard time deciding on the 3rd player cause outside of Dahlin and Dobson the defenseman are small and pp quarterback types with more risk. That said, it’s sounding like Boqvist may have the highest ceiling outside of Dahlin and the Wings need skill. How does he compare to a Bouchard, Hughes and Smith?

2. Tkachuk - I don’t see how drafting Tkachuk helps the Red Wings immediate needs. If we’re drafting a forward with our first we need an elite scoring winger or a center better than Larkin. Is he a center? Where would he slot? Do his intangibles warrant a top 10 pick?

I also want to mention Hughes, who seems to get additional knocks for his defensive game in addition to the risk of the smaller defenseman.

Winning 1st overall pick and drafting Dahlin just eliminates all these questions

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That said, it’s sounding like Boqvist may have the highest ceiling outside of Dahlin and the Wings need skill. How does he compare to a Bouchard, Hughes and Smith?
It seems like Boqvist has the highest ceiling on offense, but he strikes me as a guy who might sometimes try to do too much by himself, instead of looking to set up others first.

Bouchard is a prototypical PP QB, with a great shot, but questionable straightline speed and average defense.

I don't know enough about Hughes or Smith to even give a cliff notes summary on them, but they seem like guys in the 10-15 range.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
It seems like Boqvist has the highest ceiling on offense, but he strikes me as a guy who might sometimes try to do too much by himself, instead of looking to set up others first.

Bouchard is a prototypical PP QB, with a great shot, but questionable straightline speed and average defense.

I don't know enough about Hughes or Smith to even give a cliff notes summary on them, but they seem like guys in the 10-15 range.

But if Boqvist is paired with an all situations anchor isn't his upside worth the risk? If he has Karlsson' comparisons, obviously other factors are to be considered but that's something a team needs.

I don't know much about this years prospects but don't comparable risky PP QBs show up in every year's crop? If this team is going to pick in the top 10 the next few seasons we need our Hedman or Petrieangelo and we need our Rafalski. Then our other defensive prospects can fill in on the lower pairings accordingly.

It's ridiculous how many top defensemen are found outside the top 10 or even outside the first round.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
1)Boqvist
2)Svech
3) No clear inclination.

I was never high on Tkachuk. I think his penchant for ill-timed penalties would make me mental. I have enough of that with Abby. I'm also not high on Hughes unless he was a lower pick. I really liked him watching UM this year, but I think he'd be a nice complimentary piece, ala Torey Krug, rather than a guy to build around.

I actually have a good feeling about Barrett Hayton, but only if he was taken with the lower 1st pick (unlikely, I know). I wouldn't mind getting Jack McBain with the Vegas 1st.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Jul 30, 2005
hat said, it’s sounding like Boqvist may have the highest ceiling outside of Dahlin and the Wings need skill. How does he compare to a Bouchard, Hughes and Smith?
The most intriguing thing about Boqvist is he's really young for this draft year. Like obviously Hughes and Boqvist are in the same draft year, but Boqvist is 10 months younger. A month later and he's in the 2019 draft, I believe. So even though he's a smaller guy, that's not necessarily anything to worry about. And for being so young in his age group, he's really dominant. That's uncommon.

Reactions: Orthodox Caveman

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But if Boqvist is paired with an all situations anchor isn't his upside worth the risk? If he has Karlsson' comparisons, obviously other factors are to be considered but that's something a team needs.
Oh, I'm not at all saying he isn't worth the risk. I'd be AOK if Detroit ended up with him. It just feels like Dahlin is as close to a sure thing as it gets, and then the other defensemen each have their pros and cons. (For Boqvist, Dobson, and Bouchard, I think the pros far outweigh the cons.)

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Not a ranking, just some players I really like.

Zadina.... I think he's going to an all star 40 goal scorer. I'd be thrilled to get the third pick, even 2nd.

Bouchard..... He's putting up assists left and right, no big concerns, looks like a 2/3 D. I'd be thrilled to get him around 7-10.

Bokk.... Don't know much about him but seems like highly skilled and could be a huge steal if he's around at our Vegas pick, assuming we pick a D in the top 10 I would love that pick.

With the Vegas pick I don't want Noel. I'd much rather take another D than a physical winger. I'd be good with Bokk or Khovanov, but not this year's Ratcliffe(Noel).

On a side note if we get Svechnikov(I'd be thrilled with him as well), I think we HAVE to get Khovanov too. Could be a dynamic duo for us.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Svechnikov... if they pick 2nd to 3rd over all*
Bouchard...... if they pick about where they are at now
Dobson......... if they pick about where they are at now, but Bouchard is already taken

Hughes......... Avoid. I don't like taking a D-man this undersized with a low 1st-round pick.

Knowing the Wings recently, they will spend almost all of their efforts scouting guys ranked higher than from where they are likely to pick, because those are the guys most likely to be available. So, I don't think they'll take anyone who falls to them. More likely, they'll reach a little, because the guys ranked higher will be the guys they've scouted most. Maybe they'll take Kupari or Hayton with a 7th or 8th pick.

*I think this season they need to draft another goalie, and if they pick in the top 3, then they also need to be extra serious about picking that goalie.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1.) Svechnikov - Would you like Hossa or Kovalchuk... Yes so would I. I know he is a winger and I don't care. He is an elite offensive monster that is physical and plays a 200 foot game. He is going to be a star in this league and yes there is a decent chance he brings additional value to his brother which doesn't hurt.

Hughes - He might be short, but he is a phenomenal puck mover. For me he is an upgrade on the Krug and Ghost type players that are having a lot of success in this league. He is dynamic and entertaining. We also have a decent amount of size on the team to help compensate with. Guy has elite hockey sense and elite skating. I like guys that are elite, he is a homerun swing. Hughes has a Karlsson element to me because of his skating, he might even while undersized but with more defensive progression in his game be a 30 minute guy because he effortlessly moves around the ice.

Bouchard - A smart right handed D-man that is putting up a ton of points. He has a quick release that gets through. He doesn't have the heaviest shot and he still has some areas to improve on in his own end. But outside of Dahlin I have him and Hughes as my next in line defensively.

Dobson, Tkachuk, Zadina and Wahlstrom these are all good picks. Like I keep saying land in the top 10 and we should be happy with our player this is a good draft.

Not asked but with the second 1st rounder if Merkley is there I take him with our Vegas pick. That is a chance on a young player that has had a tough draft year that I am hoping the Wings will take.

Lunderstrom is the player I am not sold on that I see sometimes in the top 10. It really depends on where we draft. Again I like what is generally listed in the top 9. If we reach on that fringe center I do it with Hayton.

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
1) A. Svechnikov - He's a big forward with high end offensive skill. From what I've seen he can play on both sides of the ice and has good hockey sense. Svechnikov could improve our PP and the teams offensive productivity for the years to come, also who doesn't want to see the brothers play together?
2) Boqvist - RHD that has really good puck skills and high potential, not a complete two way player but that doesn't matter much if he can help the team produce offensively. The team has had a need for a player like this for the longest time. He's also my favourite player from this years draft.
3) Wahlstrom (c/rw) - Don't think I saw him on anyone's list but I think that this is who the Wings will end up drafting. He has a very high hockey IQ, really good skater, and one of the best goal scorers (i think so) from this years draft. He played as a RW for team USA on their top line but can also play center. I know the wings drafted Rasmussen last year but I feel like he is also likely to play as a winger in the NHL.

Don't want the team to draft Merkley because he seems like a great defensive liability, Boqvist can still be reliable on the d end.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Don't think we'll be able to have a realistic shot at Little Svech so with that in mind

1) Filip Zadina: A dynamic forward lighting it up in Halifax you say? Sign me up!
2) Joel Farabee: Wingers, Wingers, Wingers
3) Brady Tkachuck: Pedigree and his numbers at BU as a freshman intrigue me.

Avoid: With that first pick, avoid a defenseman. I'd rather they use the second pick on one if they feel they must, otherwise grab a second dynamic boom or bust forward there.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
1. Dobson
2. Bouchard
3. Smith

Each of these guys brings a slightly different element that the Wings lack. Dobson is more the athletic, slightly raw high-ceiling defenseman that other teams take early, but Detroit never does. Bouchard is a super-skilled PP quarterback with top end passing ability and a good shot. Smith is a great skating two-way guy who might have more offensive upside than the consensus will tell you.

Do not want: Hughes
It's not that he's small; Smith is basically the same height. It's not that he isn't skilled; he's ultra-skilled. It's that he's barely a defenseman. Right now I can't even imagine him playing in an NHL-style defensive scheme. He might as well be playing a different sport at this point in time. Can he transition? Maybe, but I don't like the risk.

I find myself pretty much fully aligned with your way of thinking. Dobson and Bouchard sound like really good players and I'm high on Smith based on what I've heard and read so far. I think/hope we draft one of those guys and they, hopefully they project to 1st pair d-men or develop into that. I know that people have soured on the word character after last draft, but I do think it's important and I think Smith has it, I guess it's why I put him up with D-men who most suggest are a tier above him.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Interesting that Hughes is showing up on the avoid category for others too....considering that his skating and IQ are said to be above others in the top 10. His knocks are he’s undersized and hasn’t shown enough in his own end.

Bouchard and Dobson : skating isn’t their forte but they’re bigger and more balanced and can shoot the puck.

In the younger, faster NHL aren’t the skating factors equally risky?

If we don’t pick in the top 3 it could be between Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting that Hughes is showing up on the avoid category for others too....considering that his skating and IQ are said to be above others in the top 10. His knocks are he’s undersized and hasn’t shown enough in his own end.

Bouchard and Dobson : skating isn’t their forte but they’re bigger and more balanced and can shoot the puck.

Dobson is a great skater.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Jul 30, 2005
Dobson is a great skater.
Bouchard is pretty good, too. He doesn't have the same top speed, but that's probably a combination of leg strength and the crazy minutes he plays. And he's really quick, like side to side and on his edges and stuff.

Dobson just flies places, though. You're right. I would describe him as a great skater, especially for a 6'3 guy.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Or Boqvist, right? Is he projected to go top 3?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Or Boqvist, right? Is he projected to go top 3?
1-3 is pretty locked in, with Dahlin by himself, then Svech and Zadina. Depending on how you rank the next few (Boqvist, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom), Boqvist tends to be in the 4-6 range.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
1-3 is pretty locked in, with Dahlin by himself, then Svech and Zadina. Depending on how you rank the next few (Boqvist, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom), Boqvist tends to be in the 4-6 range.

Thanks.
So it seems that a some people here are wanting us to land Dobson or Bouchard ahead of Boqvist. I am assuming that Boqvist is gone by the time we pick, but assuming we have our choice of any D-man save Dahlin, do people still prefer we get Dobson or Bouchard instead of Boqvist? I'd really love to hear thoughts and reasons behind this. Mind you I don't know much about these prospects so this is like draft day homework for me.
Jkuts, I see you chose all three in your OP; from what I've read I have to say I'd be thrilled with any of these D-men as well and happy with Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->