Speculation: 2nd round. Who you want?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I do not see Wahlstrom as a center at all. I've watched most of his home games the past two years with the NTDP, and he's the prototypical sniper winger - - not a center.

Thanks for that. God knows this club is all about fitting square pegs in round holes, I hope they get an early enough pick so they don't fall into that grey zone yet again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hope Benoit-Olivier Groulx doesn’t slip into the early 2nd and we draft him. He’s another 3rd line center at best. We need centers with offensive skills. Please pass on him

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Without knowing who will be available at each pick and having only rankings to go by, I'd like to see Dallandrea and Sandin with the early picks. Both are ranked towards the end of the 1st round/early second round by most of the rankings I've seen. I'd also like to see Wise with one of the late second rounders. I've seen some rankings that have him in the late second round. Jack Drury is probably a good bet to still be around for the other late second. I'm really hoping to see some high profiles guys slide though. A guy like Ryan Merkley or someone like him where scouts are torn. Anything is possible. Oliver Kylingston was ranked as a first rounder in his draft year (by the majority of reputable rankings) and was drafted with the second last pick of the second round. Hoping for a steal like that this year with our last second rounder.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Dellandrea seems to be having a good game today. Would like to grab him with one of our first two second rounders for sure.

As much as I would like Sandin, if Merkley fell, I would like to take a chance with him and hopefully coach through some of his issues.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Dellandrea seems to be having a good game today. Would like to grab him with one of our first two second rounders for sure.

As much as I would like Sandin, if Merkley fell, I would like to take a chance with him and hopefully coach through some of his issues.

Man I would love to get both Merkley and Sandin, follow that up with Dellandrea.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Those 3 Swedish C's should get some serious consideration. I'm really liking how they are looking at the U18's. Bäck, Gustavson & Olafsson.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Agreed! The more I think, I would not trade those early 2nd’s.

Perfect draft for me...

- Dahlin.

- Kotkaniemi (Patch to the Oilers for their pick). Add a conditional pick if he re signs

- Dellandrea and Wise with our two early 2nds

Is that one draft lottery win, plus 3 Cs? Nice :)

I agree that, whomever we decide to pick, those two early 2nd rounders will yield something still quite valuable. However, Wilde and Dellandrea might very well already be picked by the time our first second rounder comes along, although a shot at Dellandrea is (ranking-wise) looking more possible than Wise.

Which is actually better?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Without knowing who will be available at each pick and having only rankings to go by, I'd like to see Dallandrea and Sandin with the early picks. Both are ranked towards the end of the 1st round/early second round by most of the rankings I've seen. I'd also like to see Wise with one of the late second rounders. I've seen some rankings that have him in the late second round. Jack Drury is probably a good bet to still be around for the other late second. I'm really hoping to see some high profiles guys slide though. A guy like Ryan Merkley or someone like him where scouts are torn. Anything is possible. Oliver Kylingston was ranked as a first rounder in his draft year (by the majority of reputable rankings) and was drafted with the second last pick of the second round. Hoping for a steal like that this year with our last second rounder.

Central scouting has him ranked 5 spots ahead of Dellandrea for North American skaters at 17th VS 22nd...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is that one draft lottery win, plus 3 Cs? Nice :)

I agree that, whomever we decide to pick, those two early 2nd rounders will yield something still quite valuable. However, Wilde and Dellandrea might very well already be picked by the time our first second rounder comes along, although a shot at Dellandrea is (ranking-wise) looking more possible than Wise.

Which is actually better?

It would be a great draft but we will see how it unfolds. Hard to say what’s available when we pick in the 2nd round. The talent is there.. just depends on who is available. We need too draft 2 centers with the early 2nd round picks IMO. Hopefully teams are targeting defenseement towards the end of the 1st so a few good centers with upside slip into the 2nd.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It would be a great draft but we will see how it unfolds. Hard to say what’s available when we pick in the 2nd round. The talent is there.. just depends on who is available. We need too draft 2 centers with the early 2nd round picks IMO. Hopefully teams are targeting defenseement towards the end of the 1st so a few good centers with upside slip into the 2nd.

I hear you about the two Cs, but whomever we pick (whomever slides or doesn't), by default, something good will remain on the board, either as a forward or a D.

I just hope we don't end up picking a 5'3" player with a big heart...

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm just hoping MB doesn't trade any of his 2nd rounders unless it's to move up to the first round to nab a player we really want (a C who also happens to be the BPA at that point).

With the sheer number of Cs that should go in the 2nd round, there is no excuse to miss out on them -- we have every opportunity to strike in that 2nd round.

Reactions: groovejuice

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm just hoping MB doesn't trade any of his 2nd rounders unless it's to move up to the first round to nab a player we really want (a C who also happens to be the BPA at that point).

With the sheer number of Cs that should go in the 2nd round, there is no excuse to miss out on them -- we have every opportunity to strike in that 2nd round.
I don't think we should be going all out for centers. I wouldn't want to trade up and draft Hayton who is a center when a guy like Kravstov is still there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think we should be going all out for centers. I wouldn't want to trade up and draft Hayton who is a center when a guy like Kravstov is still there.

Not all centers but if they are the clear BPA, then it is what it is.

I'm merely suggesting that the sheer availability of so many ranked as 2nd rounders plus the many picks we own, is a great mix to nab a couple high upside Cs.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not all centers but if they are the clear BPA, then it is what it is.

I'm merely suggesting that the sheer availability of so many ranked as 2nd rounders plus the many picks we own, is a great mix to nab a couple high upside Cs.
It's like multiple choice in college, C is the highest probability of occurrence and if you mix and match you lower your odds so pick all Cs and you'll do ok :thumbu:

I once did that in the 2nd half of a final exam cause I was sick as a dog and didn't want to come back and do a re-sit, picked 50 Cs in a row in 5 minutes and bailed to the bathroom, ended up with a 70

*I take no responsibility for anyone on this site's future academic transgressions resulting from copying my dumbass approach

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Central scouting has him ranked 5 spots ahead of Dellandrea for North American skaters at 17th VS 22nd...
I very rarely look at Central scouting (even though they are a great and trusted source) because they catagorize players. I don't get to watch the prospects all that much, so I tend to put my faith in the rankings that list everybody. I'm never sure where the European players or goaltenders fit in otherwise. Is the #10 ranked NA prospect better than the #10 ranked Euro prospect? I've noticed that Wise has been all over the place in the rankings and my guess he goes higher than they are ranking him, but you never know. Future considerations has him in the late second in their complete rankings (europeans, north americans, and goaltenders included). They are one of the few non-pay sites that list the top 100 prospects that I am aware of.

Are there any other sites that rank more than just the first round that you or anyone else is aware of? Ideally some reputable sites that rank the entire 7 rounds and have scouting reports. I'd really like to see several so I can compare.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
If McLeod , Groulx and McBain are the options. Count me out. Low upsides.

You may be a little too negative on those guys - Sporting News has McLeod ranked in 1st round, #19; Groulx in 2nd round, #37; and McBain in 2nd round, #44. Pretty good second round pick options, if you consider the second round goes from pick 32 to 62...

durojean

May 29, 2007
Always BPA for me, tough to have a ranking right now, but these are guys that I personally like a lot:

Johnny Tychonick: A strong skating puck rusher who can send pinpoint passes through traffic and then likes to join the rush and help out below the goal line in the offensive zone. Quick feet give him the ability to skate effectively east to west and impress in neutral zone. Good puck skills and good anticipation with the puck on his stick. In his own end, he is evasive and can lose forecheckers with one slick move to keep the puck alive and transitioning to offence.

Ty Dellandrea: Brings a perfect mix of skill and grit to the ice, Dellandrea has all the tools to be a pro in the very near future. Offensive instincts are off the charts, and he competes at a very high level, sacrificing his body to make a play. Great shot and he played on a really bad team.

Rasmus Sandin: A late comer to the OHL, but he has been an impact player to the Soo since his arrival and as a result has been a steady draft riser that played his way into the Top Prospects Game. Sandin moves the puck well and is smooth with the puck carrying it up ice. Sandin plays big minutes and consistently makes good decisions with the puck.

Jesse Ylonen: Ylonen is a strong skater. He has good speed and acceleration. He also has the agility to make quick cuts. This is coupled with good stickhandling skills makes him dangerous off the rush. While he works to protect the puck down low and does a decent job in the cycle game, he could be even better with added muscle mass. Ylonen has a good wrist shot and release, as well as strong passing skills and decent vision. He is a threat as both a goal scorer and playmaker.

Cole Fonstad: Fonstad is a very skilled playmaker who also possessed a good shot, potting 21 goals on the season on top of his 52 assists. Shoots right handed which seems to be hard to find in the NHL these days. A bit undersized at 5'10 but he is very quick and a great skater, maybe one of the best skating forwards in the draft. His hockey IQ and vision makes the players around him better.

Jake Wise: Top-end playmaker with superior vision and hockey sense who is the power play architect for Team USA’s under-18 team. Wise has excellent hand-eye coordination and razor sharp awareness, and he’ll rarely make a mistake when opponents giftwrap a scoring chance. He also possesses a highly-accurate shot that seems to give goalies a hard time.

Blake McLaughlin: He displays mature playmaking skills however, with a penchant for making deft passes that set up teammates well. He’s extremely elusive making him particularly dangerous on special teams, having nailed two shorthanded goals this year as well as five on the power play. And he’s shown some physical chops on defense, utilizing his quickness and somewhat surprising strength to effectively slow opponents.

Filip Hallander: Read: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/c-w-filip-hållander-timrå-ik-allsvenskan-2018-draft.2363149/

Bulat Shafigullin: Read: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...n-reaktor-nizhnekamsk-mhl-2018-draft.2390463/

Jonatan Berggren: A two-way highly skilled winger with a nonstop motor, Berggren’s speed and anticipation causes havoc for opposing defenders, but it’s the plays he makes after forcing turnovers that separate him from most players his age. His active stick and quick hands turn harmless dump-ins into quality chances, and his speed allows him to blow past defenders at the blue line. Playing and thinking at the same time is a rare combination for young players, but Berggren does both at high level.

Kyle Topping: Topping never fails to impress. The kid amazes me every game. He finished with 65 points in 66 games. Has a similar play style and similar developmental curve to his teammate Kole Lind. Not the biggest guy on the ice at 5'11 185 lbs. but I don't see him get out-muscled much. He plays physical which you must do if you want to survive in the WHL. Also a right handed shooter which is handy.

Alexander Alexeyev: Alexeyev has good vision and passing skills. He can start the play with a good pass out of his own end, as well as quarterback the play from the blue line. Strong skating ability, with good speed in both directions, as well as strong pivots allow him to play an effective two-way games. He also has a hard shot, but must find a way to get it through to the net, and keep it low for teammates to grab deflections and rebounds.

Cameron Hillis: Cameron Hillis is a skilled forward with soft hands and excellent hockey sense. He is an offensive catalyst every time he is on the ice. Crisp accurate passer who always finds a seam to thread the puck through. Although Hillis is a top notch playmaker he also uses his shot with regularity making him a double threat and hard to read on what he might do, shoot or pass. Utilizes great vision, shrewd awareness and outstanding anticipation to read the opposition and exploit their weakness. Propels to top speed smoothly using a wide, lowered skating base where he generates power through use of total leg range of motion. Defensive zone play is inconsistent and will need seasoning but shows a healthy compete tracking back to provide valuable back pressure. As a smaller skilled forward, Hillis recognizes that adding strength to his overall game will help him compete in smaller areas of the ice.

NONE OF THESE ARE MY WORDS. All credit goes to respective scouting websites I found and poster @Stive Morgan

There aren't many guys I am willing to move up for, so it depends.

from those descriptions those are the player I'd go for. Especially with Wise the first I'd select.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Every year Bobby Mac comes out with a draft ranking along with a little scout report and a 'comparable player'. Did I miss it or is it not out yet? Or has format changed? it would be useful in this situation for the non draft expert.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
keep em coming, i have zero knowledge of the second round prospect and am learning lots. Looks like we could have a boatload of decent players when all is said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad