2nd round prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
King Henry I said:
I'm very curious. Who are some potential steals for teams in the second round? Last year Bergeron came late...who could be a potential impact player soon outside of the first round of the draft?
I say Evan McGrath who was rated very high at the beginning may fall and be a good player to draft early in the 2nd.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Save this post and remember it, Evan McGrath won't fall out of the first round. I'm almost sure that there will be a team willing to spend at least a lower first round pick on him.

As for my pick, it's Andy Rogers. He's a defenseman with great size, great shot, and pretty fleet on his skates. Perhaps a bit like Adrian Aucoin. We'll see if he slips into the first round, but it's not looking likely. I'd love for Carolina to select him in the 2nd Round if he's there.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Save this post and remember it, Evan McGrath won't fall out of the first round. I'm almost sure that there will be a team willing to spend at least a lower first round pick on him.

I mean no offense by this but have you seen McGrath play this season? I had the opportunity to see Kitchener play about a dozen times and I can't see how anyone who actually watched him thinks McGrath is a still a first-rounder.

I saw him play maybe 8-10 times a year ago and there was plenty to be excited about. Very good offensive instincts, although he tended to play on the perimeter. But it was easy to project him as a big time scorer at the OHL level even this past season, if he worked a bit at his game and took it upon himself to go to the net more.

Unfortunately, McGrath continued to move around the outside of the offensive zone and rarely ventured into traffic. He was going to be, along with Philly first-rounder Mike Richards, the feature "go-to" guy for Kitchener this season. But he just did not progress as expected, and in fact (IMO) regressed.

He still has skill. But he's undersized (6', 180-ish) and plays small. Too many risks outweigh any potential rewards. Not worth taking the chance in the first round. If it were my decision, he wouldn't even be a first-day pick.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I agree with the post above although I think someone will take a flyer on him late 2nd round. If the player shows no improvement in his draft year it is just deadly for his draft position prospects- regardless of his past rep or hidden talents.

I haven't spoken to anyone who was happy with McGrath this year. He was also one of the least effective forwards for Canada at the World U18s.

If I were him I'd not opt in for 2004 and try to pick it up next year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
John E. Ringo said:
I mean no offense by this but have you seen McGrath play this season? I had the opportunity to see Kitchener play about a dozen times and I can't see how anyone who actually watched him thinks McGrath is a still a first-rounder.

I saw him play maybe 8-10 times a year ago and there was plenty to be excited about. Very good offensive instincts, although he tended to play on the perimeter. But it was easy to project him as a big time scorer at the OHL level even this past season, if he worked a bit at his game and took it upon himself to go to the net more.

Unfortunately, McGrath continued to move around the outside of the offensive zone and rarely ventured into traffic. He was going to be, along with Philly first-rounder Mike Richards, the feature "go-to" guy for Kitchener this season. But he just did not progress as expected, and in fact (IMO) regressed.

He still has skill. But he's undersized (6', 180-ish) and plays small. Too many risks outweigh any potential rewards. Not worth taking the chance in the first round. If it were my decision, he wouldn't even be a first-day pick.

Honestly, I really haven't seen McGrath play but a handful of games this season. Despite his struggles this season, i'm going to have to say that i'm confident a team will take him early despite how poorly he played for the most part this year. I'm just not ready to accept that a player that was touted before the season as a potential top 5 pick could find himself not taken in the first round on talent alone.

I'm just thinking that there will be a team in the later first round that gives him a shot. But i've been fooled before and it wouldn't be the last time. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

DR. Holiday

steblick said:
I agree with the post above although I think someone will take a flyer on him late 2nd round. If the player shows no improvement in his draft year it is just deadly for his draft position prospects- regardless of his past rep or hidden talents.

I haven't spoken to anyone who was happy with McGrath this year. He was also one of the least effective forwards for Canada at the World U18s.

If I were him I'd not opt in for 2004 and try to pick it up next year.

Were you in minsk?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
DR. Holiday said:
Were you in minsk?
Yeah. First time in Belarus. Much nicer, cleaner, more organized city than I had thought. But I got there a little late because of Visa/Flight connection problems. Stayed at the Hotel Orbita. Were you there?

If you were you are almost certainly involved in hockey full-time- as there were few to no casual fans there (too bad).

Canada should apply for the U18s.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Lauri Korpikoski is a guy whose stock has skyrocketed during the last six months. This kid was the leading scorer at the U18's in minst, has good size and plays with an in your face style. There has been a lot of talk about him going in the first-round though, possibly as high as the top-20.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I totally agree with the McGrath takes. I saw this kid play several times this year and not once did I leave the rink thinking he was a first rounder. I see this kid as a late second/early third round pick. He just didn't get the job done.

I also agree with Dave Booth being a steal in the second round. Great kid with an awesome work ethic. He needs to work on his skating a little but he can score and he is a horse. Every team needs a guy like David Booth.

My sleeper in the second round is Kevin Porter of the US-Under 18 team. Great skater, real smooth with good hands. Didn't produce a ton this year but plays both ends of the ice and competes as hard as anyone in the draft. Should go on the first day but would be a great pick up in the second round.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
A lot of people put too much stock in McGrath's postseason run, last season...always dangerous to place so much weight on a small number of games.

Last edited:

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
King Henry I said:
I'm very curious. Who are some potential steals for teams in the second round? Last year Bergeron came late...who could be a potential impact player soon outside of the first round of the draft?

Well if you look at CS list Adam Berti and Wes O'Neill will go in the second round but realistically they'll be long gone by the second round.

I'd say that you'd stand a good chance of getting in the second

Michael Funk: Tall skinny defenseman who plays a chippy game.
Aki Seitsonen: Big center who play good defensively needs to get more physical.
Blake Wheeler: Scoring machine in us high shcool league.
Chad Painchaud: Small chippy player who plays both way's and one of the best skaters in the draft.

Third

Michal Sersen: See other threads underated because injured this year.
Tyler Haskins: Good two way player for St.Micheal.
Clayton Barthel: Big physical defenseman who could turn into a good defensive D-man.
Darin Oliver: skinny kid who led his college team in scoring has good upside.

Forth

Jeff Glass: Play's for Kootenay stole alot of game's for his team IMO.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
McGrath is back at my high-school now that the season is over. I've got to say I don't think he's first round material. This year's draft seems to really drop off after about #20-25 imo compared to last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we was taken #28-30 but any higher than that would be pretty dumb. I don't think he'll ever pan out to be a top 6 forward because he's too small. That's been said before about guys like St.Louis, but there is an obvious difference.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know that they were pretty excited about wheeler on the Pen's board, hoping that the Pen's take him with that first pick of the second round. Apparently a boom or bust type, could really blossum but very young and raw right now. Flashes of much much more they say.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
I know that they were pretty excited about wheeler on the Pen's board, hoping that the Pen's take him with that first pick of the second round. Apparently a boom or bust type, could really blossum but very young and raw right now. Flashes of much much more they say.

It really hard to judge Wheeler. So much potential and thats pretty much what he would be drafted on. He is a big risk pick, but could be very rewarding. Who is to say he doesn go to U. of Minn in a year a just explodes on to the scene like Vanek did.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
David Booth would be my pick, he's got a powerful stride and has good offensive skills. Kyle Klubertanz, Oscar Hedman (maybe late 1st), Paul Stasny, should be some good 2nd rounders as well.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Caniacforever said:

You're bang on, McGrath will not fall to the 2nd.

Dan LaCosta is a very sound goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->