Confirmed with Link: 2nd round - #35OA - LW Sebastian Aho - Karpat (FIN)

Blabber

Mar 20, 2016
I honestly think he could be already better than TT. He's stronger on his skates imo. Some of the things that came easy to him in over the last year won't work in the NHL but I think he can adjust. Be curious to see if his shot can routinely beat NHL goalies or if he becomes primarily a playmaker.

He identifies his passing options very quickly.

Aho really is strong on his skates. Shot is not a laser, but with mind like his he will find the ways to score. Like every smart player does. He will be allaround player.

Reactions: Identity404

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Marjamaki is a bit crazy. "I think I'll healthy scratch this guy for the first two games. Then maybe after the third game I'll announce he will be on the top line for the start of the tournament." It's not like he hadn't seen the kid play before...how did he misjudge his contribution so badly?

I'm 95% confident that Marjamäki did this on purpose: scratch Aho for one or two games and see who is struggling/underperforming, then let Aho replace that guy. He knew that Aho can jump in any line because his hockey IQ is one of the best I've seen for a player of his age. It's not just a joke that some Finnish journalists refer to him as "Professor".

Furthermore, Aho is already better than Teräväinen IMO.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'm 95% confident that Marjamäki did this on purpose: scratch Aho for one or two games and see who is struggling/underperforming, then let Aho replace that guy. He knew that Aho can jump in any line because his hockey IQ is one of the best I've seen for a player of his age. It's not just a joke that some Finnish journalists refer to him as "Professor".

Furthermore, Aho is already better than Teräväinen IMO.

These words you speak, I like them.

godesab

Sep 6, 2016
Pohjoinen
PLEASE LET HIM RUN POWERPLAY!!

I saw all his games last season and was cursing him playing screen/tip-in guy on WHC. He is the guy to give those one-timers to Laine.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If he and Teuvo have room to operate (like a PP for example) then their talent is blatantly obvious. But if they're expected to battle and come up with possession of the puck? Forget it.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I hope they send him back over to keep from burning a year of ELC, needs to concentrate on getting stronger.

He doesn't need to go back to Finland. Yes, he would definitely benefit from getting stronger, but that won't happen over there any faster than it would here. What he does need is to be put on a line away from TT. TT is the bigger problem with that third line. If Aho is lacking some strength, at least he tries to get into the play. TT just floats around the edges and dumps the puck at the first hint that contact is coming. I'd send TT back to Finland before Aho. Maybe putting Aho on another line that can utilize his distribution talents would be better:

Skinner - Rask - Aho
PDG - Staal - Stempniak
Nestrasil - Lindholm - TT
Nordstrom - McC - Stalberg

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
He doesn't need to go back to Finland. Yes, he would definitely benefit from getting stronger, but that won't happen over there any faster than it would here. What he does need is to be put on a line away from TT. TT is the bigger problem with that third line. If Aho is lacking some strength, at least he tries to get into the play. TT just floats around the edges and dumps the puck at the first hint that contact is coming. I'd send TT back to Finland before Aho. Maybe putting Aho on another line that can utilize his distribution talents would be better:

Skinner - Rask - Aho
PDG - Staal - Stempniak

i was thinking the same thing. I feel like like he hasnt been on a line with players that match his talent level. You can make the best passes in the world but when it's guys like nordstrom and lindholm it's not gonna work out. slap him on a line with a natural scorer like skinny and lets see then.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He doesn't need to go back to Finland. Yes, he would definitely benefit from getting stronger, but that won't happen over there any faster than it would here.

Yeah au contraire us Finnish natives generally rely on the American porridge to stock them up physically soon enough once they move to the NHL.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Can Aho be sent back to Finland? Is that even an option like it is with juniors?

The real problem Aho and TT and Lindholm all have, is that they aren't particularly fast. Usually, these young high skill guys are fast, but ours never seem to be. With no high end speed, and no strength, they fall into the same situation all struggling Canes prospects fall into. How do you create space so you can use some of that skill?

The only answer (outside of development) is to be on the PP, or have a really good player on their line to create it for them. Instead, we get to watch the 3 of them just get smothered for 15 minutes a night.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Skinner - Rask - Aho
PDG - Staal - Stempniak

The issue I see with this is what identity does each line have now? Before, it was:

1) Top Scoring line. If you remove Stempniak, is it still effective? Can Aho handle top line competition?
2) Physical shut down line. If we expect Jordan's line to still go against the other teams' top offensive lines, doesn't it waste Stempniak and try to put a square peg in a round hole?
3) That 3rd line is still "blah"

Personally, I'd leave the top line alone for now as it's the only dangerous line the Canes have and move Aho back to Staal's line.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We call it oatmeal here. Porridge is for Dickensian poorhouses and orphans and communists.

I will let you know, my good chap, that approximately a hundred years ago my country men were tried to be blocked from naturalization as US citizens in the Duluth District Court, supposedly because of being Mongols but in reality because of being commies.

Of course today Finns happily are welcome in Minnesota and porridge feeds the working men around the world such as chimney sweeps and lorry drivers.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Aho has been anchored by TT and Lindholm. I know they've tried to move guys around, but it seems like these three always end up back together. Lindholm couldn't hit the broad side of a barn right now and you don't know which Teuvo you're getting from shift to shift, it's not a surprise he only has 5 assists and a million unlucky stops and bounces preventing him from scoring his first goal. He's playing fine. There's zero discussion happening right now regarding anything other than how to best utilize him. He's not going anywhere. He's already one of our six best forwards.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I thought Staal and Aho were playing very well and generating a lot of chances together, however Nordstrom was a complete non-factor which diminished any real consistent punch the line could have.

Would love to see PDG with J. Staal and Aho. Also wouldn't mind seeing what Aho could do replacing Stempniak on the 1st line.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I thought Staal and Aho were playing very well and generating a lot of chances together, however Nordstrom was a complete non-factor which diminished any real consistent punch the line could have.

Would love to see PDG with J. Staal and Aho. Also wouldn't mind seeing what Aho could do replacing Stempniak on the 1st line.

I actually texted the same thing to BanginLikeaBiscuit today.

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Aho-Staal-PDG
Stalberg-Lindholm-Teravainen
Bickell-McClement-Nestrasil
Nordstrom

Can't hurt to try that for a game, right?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I also thought Aho looked best with Staal. Would love to see PDG with the two of them. Peters seems pretty adamant about sticking to his "pairs" though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->