2nd overall turning out better then 1sts? (99-06)

jonowan

Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver
Usually people think 1st overalls are going to be sure fire things but lets look and compare the 2nd overall picks over the past 7 years to the first.

99 Patrik Stefan vs Daniel(or Henrik? I forget) Sedin. It may have taken some time for either or Sedin but they've certainly turned out to be as good as initially advertised. The same cant be said for Stefan.

00 Rick Dipetro vs Dany Heatley. He may have the longer/larger contract but I think I'd take Heatley. Granted at the time Milbury probably had better options then the Rick.

01 Ilya Kovalchuk vs Jason Spezza. Kovalchuk now and the future but Spezza can possibly close the gap if he can stay healthy. A premier playmaker vs a premier gamebreaker. Tough to say who you'd rather have.

02 Rick Nash vs Kari Lehtonen. Nash exploded out of the gates whlie Lehtonen bided his time honing the craft. Nash has a Richard trophy and will be up there in scoring goalsfor the next while (this year has been bad thus far) whilst Lehtonen has star written all over him

03 MAF vs Staal. I'd take Staal. 21 year old who scored over 100 points last year and has a cup ring. Again MAF struggled early but has been lookin good this year.

04 AO vs Malkin. Probably the most intriguing of the battles. During the draft consensus was that AO wouldve been #1 in the 03 draft but Malkin has closing that gap since the draft. Give this one time and we'll see how it pans out.

05 Sid the Kid vs Bobby Ryan. Dont know much about Ryan (although Burkie shouldve drafted JJ instead) but I think Sid is and will have the better career. By a longshot.

06 Erik Johnson Vs Jordan Staal. Staal is a regular in the NHL at 18. Johnson is about potential although he really shone in the WJCs last year. This one will take time as well.

Again its tough to value Dmen vs forwards vs goalies. Just wondernig what the HF opinions are.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Usually people think 1st overalls are going to be sure fire things but lets look and compare the 2nd overall picks over the past 7 years to the first.

99 Patrik Stefan vs Daniel(or Henrik? I forget) Sedin. It may have taken some time for either or Sedin but they've certainly turned out to be as good as initially advertised. The same cant be said for Stefan.

00 Rick Dipetro vs Dany Heatley. He may have the longer/larger contract but I think I'd take Heatley. Granted at the time Milbury probably had better options then the Rick.

01 Ilya Kovalchuk vs Jason Spezza. Kovalchuk now and the future but Spezza can possibly close the gap if he can stay healthy. A premier playmaker vs a premier gamebreaker. Tough to say who you'd rather have.

02 Rick Nash vs Kari Lehtonen. Nash exploded out of the gates whlie Lehtonen bided his time honing the craft. Nash has a Richard trophy and will be up there in scoring goalsfor the next while (this year has been bad thus far) whilst Lehtonen has star written all over him

03 MAF vs Staal. I'd take Staal. 21 year old who scored over 100 points last year and has a cup ring. Again MAF struggled early but has been lookin good this year.

04 AO vs Malkin. Probably the most intriguing of the battles. During the draft consensus was that AO wouldve been #1 in the 03 draft but Malkin has closing that gap since the draft. Give this one time and we'll see how it pans out.

05 Sid the Kid vs Bobby Ryan. Dont know much about Ryan (although Burkie shouldve drafted JJ instead) but I think Sid is and will have the better career. By a longshot.

06 Erik Johnson Vs Jordan Staal. Staal is a regular in the NHL at 18. Johnson is about potential although he really shone in the WJCs last year. This one will take time as well.

Again its tough to value Dmen vs forwards vs goalies. Just wondernig what the HF opinions are.

Out of all of those...I think I'd take the first overall in everyone except Stefan and DiPetro. Right now its really hard to judge with E. Staal and MAF. Yeah Staal has been better so far but comparing a goalie to a skater is very, very hard. Fleury has been playing very well for the Pen's this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
99 Patrik Stefan vs Daniel Sedin.

Sedin wins.

00 Rick Dipetro vs Dany Heatley

Heatley wins, but this was no ordinary selection. This was Mike Milbury at his worst. In no way should Dipietro have been drafted ahead of Heatley or even Gaborik by any sane person.

01 Ilya Kovalchuk vs Jason Spezza.

I'd much rather have Kovalchuk than Spezza.

02 Rick Nash vs Kari Lehtonen.

Nash looks bad this year and Lehtonen looks great, but Bouwmeester, who was drafted 3rd is the 'real' first overall pick, since there was a lot of wheeling and dealing by GMs to ensure that they each got what they wanted.

03 MAF vs Staal.

I'd take Staal right now too, but if Fleury develops into a Brodeur type goalie on a Stanley Cup winning team, which is a definite possibility given his talent and the team in front of him, you would have a very good argument for Fleury.

04 AO vs Malkin.

I give this one to Ovechkin, without any hesitation. Ovechkin is on pace for over 100 points and this is considered a slow start... Malkin will have the advantage of starting his career on a better team, but Ovechkin's the better player now and in the future.

05 Sid the Kid vs Bobby Ryan.

Crosby is one of the brightest talents to have broken into the league in decades and Bobby Ryan is an Owen Sound Attack.

06 Erik Johnson Vs Jordan Staal

I can see why you'd be higher on Staal because he's in the league, but Johnson is still a bluechipper and a franchise player. I can also see Pittsburgh's depth at centre holding Staal back in terms of development, especially if he doesn't stick at centre. It's like Detroit in the early 90s when they had Yzerman and Fedorov in place and there was no room for Sillinger and Primeau to play. I could see Staal benefiting from a trade to another team.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
of topic here, but i have to say it. the biggest hockey magazin in europe (at least they say it is) called pro hockey called marc-andre fleury a flop. they had him and malkin on the cold list and peter forsberg on the hot list:biglaugh:. god i hate that magazin.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
What cracks me up about Milbury taking dipietro over heatley is that they had already traded away luongo right? They could have had their goalie, AND the spezza-heatley line if they hadn't traded for yashin. Jesus Christ:

Somebody - Spezza - Heatley
Chara - Mccabe
Luongo

might be freaking unstoppable.

Sorry, I know this isn't an islanders bashing thread, and I didn;t mean to pick on them (or by extension, their fans), it just kind of makes me crack up a little.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
I like Luongo on the Canucks. But Milbury is a disgrace, the Isles could be a powerhouse right now had they not **** away all their talent.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I like Luongo on the Canucks. But Milbury is a disgrace, the Isles could be a powerhouse right now had they not **** away all their talent.
Ain't that the truth. The trade for Yashin really set them back. This is of course assuming that the islanders could have developed the players into the players they are today, which none of us could know for sure. (that was most certainly NOT a knock on the islanders development system, which I have little knowledge of).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Ain't that the truth. The trade for Yashin really set them back. This is of course assuming that the islanders could have developed the players into the players they are today, which none of us could know for sure. (that was most certainly NOT a knock on the islanders development system, which I have little knowledge of).

I don't think even an incompetent Islanders organization could screw up players of that calibre. The exception possibly being Spezza, who might have been hurt by being rushed into the league. The others would have risen to the top everywhere in the league, I suspect.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I don't think even an incompetent Islanders organization could screw up players of that calibre. The exception possibly being Spezza, who might have been hurt by being rushed into the league. The others would have risen to the top everywhere in the league, I suspect.
True, true I'm just saying theres no way to know for sure.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
They traded Luongo because they thought that DiPietro would have been better, this after putting a few years of development into Luongo and knowing that DiPietro would take a few more years. Honestly, even with trading away the other soon to be stars, when you analyze what they did here it truely is Pejorative Slured. Why would you trade a guy who was drafted 5th overall and was coming into his own as a goalie (who take longer to develop) then trade him away and take another goalie high so you could wait for him to develop some more. It's like they were trying to be stuck in a state of mediocrity.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They traded Luongo because they thought that DiPietro would have been better, this after putting a few years of development into Luongo and knowing that DiPietro would take a few more years. Honestly, even with trading away the other soon to be stars, when you analyze what they did here it truely is Pejorative Slured. Why would you trade a guy who was drafted 5th overall and was coming into his own as a goalie (who take longer to develop) then trade him away and take another goalie high so you could wait for him to develop some more. It's like they were trying to be stuck in a state of mediocrity.

I think Mad Mike thought that Dipietro could be a one of a kind goalie thanks to his puckhandling skills.
He probably thought he'd be close to Luongo in terms or pure goaltending, but that stickhandling ability would prove to be the quality that would set him apart and redefine the goaltending position.
It turns out he was wrong.
He gambled and lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad