2nd best player in the league!

Who is the 2nd best player in the league?

• Total voters

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Best North division team was 12th in regular season last year when all teams faced each other. That division is a joke and his season stats are irrevelant because he didn't play against any good team.

Also, his stats are meaningless as long as he plays for himself not for the team. That's why Oilers lose all the time and Pens have had most success of any teams since Crosby came to the league.
Ok [mod] I’ll play along. His regular division is Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Arizona, Calgary, Vancouver, and Vegas. Soooo many good teams how would he ever survive :sarcasm: The north is without a doubt stronger than that...

Please tell me how he is playing for himself? Last I checked scoring at damn near 3 PPG for the last 12 games is putting your team at a significant advantage

Last edited by a moderator:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
It's Draisaitl unless you prefer defencemen in which case it would be Hedman, I prefer to not rank dmen with forwards so voted Draisaitl.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Exactly. Best one wears #87 not #97

Its 2021 not 2011

You’re a funny guy
giphy.gif

Reactions: 4EDM14OIL93

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Ok [mod] I’ll play along. His regular division is Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Arizona, Calgary, Vancouver, and Vegas. Soooo many good teams how would he ever survive :sarcasm: The north is without a doubt stronger than that...

Please tell me how he is playing for himself? Last I checked scoring at damn near 3 PPG for the last 12 games is putting your team at a significant advantage

Yeah it's true that he was already playing in worst division by far in last years so his points were already boosted a bit but the thing is, now he played ~46 games against below average teams and 10 games against average team(Toronto) and in earlier seasons, players play 4 games against same division teams, 3 against same conference teams and 2 against other conference teams.

Playing defense is playing for team. Without playing defense you might win regular season games but not in playoffs. Mcdavid doesn't play defense even tho he is a center.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Playoff Mackinnon is different. And I know in the middle of a regular season people will go back to looking at straight up production (which Nate is still pretty damn good at) and forget but then we reach the playoffs again where everyone watches games and sees what Mackinnon does and he once again goes back to being the 2nd best player in the world.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Probably MacKinnon but I would hear the argument for Matthews based on this year. Kucherov will most likely be back the conversation next year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to deny him as clear 2nd best with how he consistently dominates. This could be a historic season for him if the Avalanche go all the way.

I agree. I want to counter logically with "small sample size" and "lets wait and see" - but he's continuously been great.

I will say - dominating in rounds 1 and 2 is one thing. He needs to go farther now

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Kucherov 9pts in 4 games
MacKinnon 7pts in 3 games
Mcdavid 0pts in 2 games
Draisaitl 0pts in 2 games

just trying to stir something up :sarcasm:

Reactions: User9992

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Playoff Mackinnon is different. And I know in the middle of a regular season people will go back to looking at straight up production (which Nate is still pretty damn good at) and forget but then we reach the playoffs again where everyone watches games and sees what Mackinnon does and he once again goes back to being the 2nd best player in the world.

When the playoffs start, MacKinnon might even elevate to best player in the world. The only reason he won't win the playoff scoring race is because of the sweep (fewer games).

Reactions: Garthinater

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Using this logic, Mack> Kuch> Matthews>McDavid. :sarcasm:

Yeah Kucherov should be up there. Never gets enough credit imo. Out of all the names he has the best mix of reg season + playoffs (excluding Crosby, whose a bit older).

Kucherov had the best season above peak versions of all those guys 2 years ago. Last year he started slow but last ~3months of season was again pacing/besting edmonton duo for points. Then led league in playoffs

This year he didnt play - but now atop playoff scoring again

Ie - everyone figured 128 point is career year/not repeatable. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt. He might still give the Edmonton guys a run for their money on art ross. And playoffs- he's incredible too.

He has as strong a case as any at #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad