Prospect Info: 28th Overall Lucas Johansen

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Caps fans (as you may have already seen in the prospect forum), I've seen this guy plenty and watch him closely in particular. I think he's just a fantastic player. I'm not sure why scouts had him around mid-late 2nd.

I'm no scout but I see a player with a huge trajectory. The narrative he's gotten as a "good at everything, great at nothing" player is absolute crock. A player can't develop something in his game any further then? People that actually watch Kelowna know very well he can grow on his already impressive set of tools.

Obviously it's difficult to project an 18 year old but I certainly don't pass up on a high IQ player in all 3 zones with a damn good set of tools to show. Yeah I pump his tires a lot but I firmly believe this will be a future NHL player, and good one. Great pick here by you guys.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He played with Bowey for the Rockets, maybe one day we'll see a Johansen-Bowey pairing in DC.

He seems to be a pretty decent 2-way D, we'll see how he develops. Already like the kid, even though I'm not a big fan of his brother.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
At first I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but now I'm excited. He looks like he could turn into a real good player, already quarterbacking the powerplay in Kelowna. I could honestly seem him being comparable to an Alzner but with slight less D and slight better O. Haven't seen him play enough for that to be accurate though. Also excited about the possibility of a Bowey-Johansen pairing. I think that would be cool.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I literally was sitting there watching and waiting for the Bruins to take him at 29th overall. Excellent pick and I am very jealous that he is a Capital prospect right now.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I could honestly seem him being comparable to an Alzner but with slight less D and slight better O. Haven't seen him play enough for that to be accurate though.
Idk, I haven't seen the kid, but everything posted points at him being anything but a defensive blanket defenseman with very average skating :dunno:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Idk, I haven't seen the kid, but everything posted points at him being anything but a defensive blanket defenseman with very average skating :dunno:

His skating and hockey sense are supposed to be his highest strengths. His ceiling is probably top pairing but he's a good bet to be at least a #4. I expect him to really make strides this upcoming season, Kelowna really coaches up their dmen. Alzner with more offense is a good comparison I think. He's not real physical but has excellent positioning and stick.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
His numbers are very similar to Alzner's in his draft year. Johansen's not as stout or polished as Alzner was at the same age, but that can come as he bulks up and gains experience. Alzner is also a very good skater, and he was lauded as a smart, two-way defenseman with the ability to move the puck during his draft year. His skating was viewed as a strength.

Alzner's stats in draft -1 and draft year:
70GP 4G 20A 24P
63GP 8G 39A 47P

Johansen's stats in draft -1 and draft year:
65GP 1G 7A 8P
69GP 10G 39A 49P

Next year will be a pretty informative year in term of Johansen's offensive potential. Alzner plateaued offensively after he was drafted. If Johansen can keep growing his offensive game, it may translate to the NHL better. A big chunk of Johansen's offense comes on the powerplay (which is also a reason for the massive spike in numbers this year, as he got a lot more powerplay time with Bowey and Martin gone). If LuJo can increase his even strength production, I will have more confidence of his offensive skillset being good enough to work in the professional ranks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad