Post-Game Talk: #28 | FLYERS 4 at Oilers 2 | Wed., Dec. 6, 9:30 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Oh my God, I can't believe you are being contrarian. Oh wait ...

Dave, you know I love your sense of humor, but just because I disagree with the board consensus doesn't mean I'm doing it just to be contrarian,
Or, more importantly, that being contrarian is wrong:
Weise?
Gordon?
Filppula?

Let's not forget, three of the most recent things of been accused of being "contrarian" have proven correct.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We can get into Lyon's .894 AHL save pct., but i don't want to rub it in.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Missed the game, anything I miss of note? I see people are mad about the TOI again.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
All right. We're rolling now!

tumblr_mee8u0FIX61qeafupo1_250.gif

Another nice game from Elliott. Great save with two minutes to go, after McDavid undressed Hagg.

I'm going to be positive. Sanheim looked very good to start the game. I didn't catch his final TOI. Had to be over 18, right?

Same with Patrick. What did he get? 16?

Good for Raffl and Weal.

Weise is cannon.

I think the word you require here is "can'ton".

As for intelligent contribution to this thread, I don't know what to say anymore about TOI. The scariest for me is Hakstol tossing Provorov onto the ice for nearly 30 minutes against another bottom-feeding team. I don't care how otherworldly Provorov's training regimen is; Hakstol is going to burn him out or, worse, put him at risk of serious injury.

On the other end of the scale, Sanheim ... 'nuff said. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Flyers GM Ron Hextall turns his head, half-smiling half-wincing.

"There's a lot of lessons that young people have to learn. We've all gone through it, " Hextall said. "I've gone through it; you go through it with your kids. We've all got to learn lessons. This is part of the process of young players growing in the pros. That's all it is."

"You're putting a lineup out there that you think has the best chance to win that night. You think I want them to sit? You think the fans want them to sit? You think the kids want to sit? Of course not. Neither does Dale Weise or Jori Lehtera. It's part of the process. It's a learning curve for these kids and in the end they will be better for it."

When pressed on the low minutes of his young players, Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol said, "I can simplify it probably a little bit more - it’s about winning hockey games. We’re in the middle of a playoff battle here. We hope it’s going to be a long battle because we think it’s going to go right down to the wire. It’s just about a roster and a lineup that gives us the best opportunity to win."

(those are real quotes, slightly doctored, from last year)

This is brutal stuff.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Weise played the fewest minutes out of anybody from what I can see.

You want Hakstol to dress 11 forwards?

Reactions: hatcher

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Weise played the fewest minutes out of anybody from what I can see.

You want Hakstol to dress 11 forwards?

Weise was on the ice 5v5 for over 2 minutes more than Patrick. What does Weise offer that Patrick doesn't?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'd like to just see 12 good ones, but it's hard to take Weisebuscuit out if he's going to continue to snipe like that.

They don't have 12 good ones. They have 11 good ones and Weise and Lehtera, and honestly I'm sure somebody can make a case that Patrick is the worst out of all of them, he's played terrible

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Of course breaking up the top line helps solve the scoring depth issue. We were beat over the head with how good the top line was (and they were) and how smart Hakstol was, but we all knew it didn't help the team actually win games. Went over 1/4 of the season being stubborn about it. Just a shame Filppula is the player benefitting from being put with our star winger and best defensive winger, even if he's not exactly doing much.

Also, Simmonds is starting to look back again, ENG aside. Playing with G and Coots helps, so does returning health.

I’ve only been saying how absurd it is to have all our scoring talent on one line since the beginning of the season. Imagine how I feel now that they only do it once Hakstol was on the brink of firing and all wins so is f*** up their draft position.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Filppula is on a 40 point pace (30 ES), about what he did last season.
Which is pretty solid for a 3C.
Not his fault that Patrick is taking his time to become a 2C.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weise was on the ice 5v5 for over 2 minutes more than Patrick. What does Weise offer that Patrick doesn't?

I didn't see the game but I would assume Weise got a couple of shifts at wing on other lines.

Before the last stretch, Sanheim was getting 16 minutes, TK was getting about 14 minutes, and Patrick was getting about 12. They need to get back to that level pretty soon or it will be a genuine development issue.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I watched the first period and went to bed. Win streak!!!!!!!!!

I really dont get the logic if any was used, as to why Sanheim is playing less then Alt. Or why patrick is barely playing.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I watched the first period and went to bed. Win streak!!!!!!!!!

I really dont get the logic if any was used, as to why Sanheim is playing less then Alt. Or why patrick is barely playing.

The Patrick situation is stupid as is the Travis' situations. My only thought is that they believe Alt, defensively, is better than Sanheim at the moment. I obviously don't agree with it, because these are the types of situations that can help Sanhiem improve his defensive zone presence. He still struggles back there understandably, due to age and new to league, but I guess Hak looks at it as his job on the line, so he plays the player he believes is better, if only slightly, while not really caring about development. Hak is a HUGE vet supporter, which is why we have seen the past 2 seasons how he mis-handles the young players (other than really Provy)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I didn't see the game but I would assume Weise got a couple of shifts at wing on other lines.

Before the last stretch, Sanheim was getting 16 minutes, TK was getting about 14 minutes, and Patrick was getting about 12. They need to get back to that level pretty soon or it will be a genuine development issue.

I think right now it's primarily the need to win games on the road, and teams targeting them with matchups.

Face it, Patrick has been awful, he's got a target on his back on the road.
TK has been almost as bad, his lack of size shows up in the D-zone, while he'll hit people on the forecheck, when he's along the boards in the D-zone, he struggles to clear the puck. Strength (and technique) does matter.
And Sanheim alternates really promising play with really bad mistakes.

At home it's easier to give them softer matchups.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Good win I guess but this year means nothing, I am not comfortable with Patrick, Konecny, and Sanheim playing the minutes that they are. Give them more minutes, they'll learn.

That is what this year is about, learning the pro game and adapting to it.

Patrick won't get adjusted to game speed until he plays more minutes.

Konecny and Sanheim won't get better defensively by being stapled to the bench in the 3rd period

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad