Post-Game Talk: #28 | FLYERS 4 at Oilers 2 | Wed., Dec. 6, 9:30 pm ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
****ing disgraceful. Seriously, at that point, why not scratch them for Lehtera and only Lehtera?

If this is the plan the rest of the season then send Patrick to Brandon and Konecny to the AHL.

Mark Alt getting more ice time than Sanheim tonight is the most Dave Hakstol thing ever.

Ill leave it at that though. Ill save the lengthy bitching for after losses..which there will be a lot of.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
When 47 is relied upon to be out there for the last few minutes of a 1 goal game - you're going to need some luck. I really think they are wasting points letting Morin stay in Lehigh for so long. Once he is healthy I hope he can come up and stay. You know dumbass is going to keep 47 with Provorov though...

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Amazing how the Flyers win two in a row from Calgary and Edmonton.
Dominate most of the game against Edmonton except the 2nd half of the 3rd.
And all anyone is concerned about is complaining about Hakstol, so the storyline is that Patrick, Konecny, and Sanheim didn't play enough.

Patrick has done nothing to earn ES minutes in the NHL yet, especially when his team has the lead. Slowest center on the ice, brutal possession stats, creating no offense, and making dangerous plays at his offensive blueline, which he did again in the 3rd tonight up 3-1, that luckily didn't go the other way.

Konecny, who has already cost the Flyers a number of breakaway goals against this year, as well as last year.

And Sanheim, who for all of his talent, still makes a lot of bad plays, and didn't play the 2nd goal against well at all.

This isn't an endorsement of guys like Filppula -- who everyone will remember I was one of the only people on the board who hated acquiring -- but I still trust him to not give up a quick goal against a lot more than Patrick, and it's not like Patrick gives more offense.

It's not an endorsement of Weise, whom I've hated from the instant they signed him, as you will also remember.

But Patrick and Konecny are scary out there. I have no problem playing them when the team is down, or once they get better, which they will. But right now, if you have a lead, it's scary as hell to have them on the ice. Same with Sanheim.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Alt played better than Sanheim, in fact he was pretty steady out there, surprised me. Looked more confident with a few games under his belt. Sanheim is good except when he's making bad mistakes.
MacDonald had 4 blocked shots, Alt 3, and you wonder why they're out there with a lead?

Couts and Ghost really blew that SH goal, but Couts redeemed himself with a nice pass, though he had another bad play.

Someone was wondering why Raffl was playing, well, wonder no more - he's not going to score like this, 6 points in 7 games, but he also isn't going to go 20 games without a point either.

Weise scored the 2nd goal with a quick wrist shot using the defender as a screen, maybe Konecny should take notes?

Filppula may be a mediocre player, but he seems to be a really good good luck charm.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
It would be super nice if one of our numb skull beat writers would read Hextall quotes of himself saying young players wouldn't be on the team if they were going to get crap minutes. I would like to hear him defend himself. Too bad our beat writers are cowards and/or too stupid to think of such an obvious thing to bring up.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It would be super nice if one of our numb skull beat writers would read Hextall quotes of himself saying young players wouldn't be on the team if they were going to get crap minutes. I would like to hear him defend himself. Too bad our beat writers are cowards and/or too stupid to think of such an obvious thing to bring up.

Flyers GM Ron Hextall turns his head, half-smiling half-wincing.

"There's a lot of lessons that young people have to learn. We've all gone through it, " Hextall said. "I've gone through it; you go through it with your kids. We've all got to learn lessons. This is part of the process of young players growing in the pros. That's all it is."

"You're putting a lineup out there that you think has the best chance to win that night. You think I want them to sit? You think the fans want them to sit? You think the kids want to sit? Of course not. Neither does Dale Weise or Jori Lehtera. It's part of the process. It's a learning curve for these kids and in the end they will be better for it."

When pressed on the low minutes of his young players, Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol said, "I can simplify it probably a little bit more - it’s about winning hockey games. We’re in the middle of a playoff battle here. We hope it’s going to be a long battle because we think it’s going to go right down to the wire. It’s just about a roster and a lineup that gives us the best opportunity to win."

(those are real quotes, slightly doctored, from last year)

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
All right. We're rolling now!

tumblr_mee8u0FIX61qeafupo1_250.gif

Another nice game from Elliott. Great save with two minutes to go, after McDavid undressed Hagg.

I'm going to be positive. Sanheim looked very good to start the game. I didn't catch his final TOI. Had to be over 18, right?

Same with Patrick. What did he get? 16?

Good for Raffl and Weal.

Weise is cannon.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Two nice road wins.

Great opportunity to wail about the coach.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Those are really still far from two nice wins. I didn't really seem them take over a game and stay in that killer instinct mindset.

Reactions: JXC

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Some positives from my vantage point here in the Upside Down:

1. I got confirmation that I need to get the **** out of here, so I can relax about making that decision and just find the next place (in Japan).

2. Rob Ellis makes Michael Barkann seem like Walter Cronkite, or rather a fatally constipated Walter Cronkite - I'll take that trade-off. Love you, Barksie.

3. It's always nice to beat that gang of ****s, even though it hampers the "Fire Hakstok/Draft Dahlin" movement.

4. That Sanheim strip of McDavid in the first was such a cannon ****ing move. You have GOT to love the Sanheim.

5. Raffl is my kind of goofball, so I'm happy to see him rewarded for his goofiness.

6. Weise scored, which is really embarrassing for the Oilers, and **** the Oilers forever. Haha, cheat-code that, you ****s.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Nice win. Garbage reffing again which the no calls and then Laughton's penalty.

I really wanted Laughton to pass to Sanheim for his first on that 2-1.

I was in disbelief when 5v5 Voracek was alone behind the net and Filppula went out of his way to dart to the side boards instead of a scoring position. I guess thinking "I have to put myself in a position to pass it again". :laugh:

As bad as Weise-Patrick-TK has looked, I would love to see Raffl-Patrick-Voracek now. It isn't going to happen. TK even fumbled a clearing attempt when he has all alone. He must be holding his stick tight knowing the coach will bench him.

Reactions: Stizzle and Tripod

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m ok limiting TK, Patrick and Sanhiems time in a tighter win. Sanhiem has had many mistakes go in the net so I don’t get the constant beating of the drum for him to play more. I do fully get that he should be on the PP2 instead of filp. I really like TK and would play the shit out of him if were losing. Give him normal third like time if we are winning though. Patrick has struggled a bit as expected. Hopefully they start to open his time up but when’s player is struggling and they have McDaniel and drai, after the last 11 games you limit his time until we get thing straightened.

Hopefully Gudas comes back abs played well and Morin can play some role. Once Patrick gets going in 10-20 games we will have a more dangerous team.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Simmonds has looked better 5v5 with Couturier and G (duh), so he should stick there. I previously wanted TK in that spot. If Patrick or TK get to play with Voracek, they are going to be in a position to improve. Weise drags any line down, so if Patrick and TK stuck with him, it is going to take a lot of a luck to somehow gain confidence and build on it. They are really the fourth line now.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Simmonds had a lot of shots this game, which is a good sign, but he still made a lot of bad plays. I really don't like him with Giroux and Voracek at ES right now.

I also sincerely think anyone who is whining that Patrick and Konecny aren't out there enough when the Flyers have a lead are just all-out anti-Hakstol. And I don't love Hakstol. But there isn't any way I'd trust Patrick and Konecny with a lead yet. You have to earn something, and I've long been a staunch proponent of playing youth.

Alt played a strong game tonight. Earned his minutes, preconceived notions be damned.

I don't care if they fire Hakstol, but this board has gone over the top in tailoring its opinions based on making Hakstol look bad instead of reality.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Simmonds had a lot of shots this game, which is a good sign, but he still made a lot of bad plays. I really don't like him with Giroux and Voracek at ES right now.

I also sincerely think anyone who is whining that Patrick and Konecny aren't out there enough when the Flyers have a lead are just all-out anti-Hakstol. And I don't love Hakstol. But there isn't any way I'd trust Patrick and Konecny with a lead yet. You have to earn something, and I've long been a staunch proponent of playing youth.

Alt played a strong game tonight. Earned his minutes, preconceived notions be damned.

I don't care if they fire Hakstol, but this board has gone over the top in tailoring its opinions based on making Hakstol look bad instead of reality.

Oh my God, I can't believe you are being contrarian. Oh wait ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad