Prospect Info: 25th Ryan Poehling

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If he ends up ppg this year, is it good or very impressive?

It would be good. It will normally put you somewhere around 3-5 in U19 scoring. There's usually one guy who does wayyyyy better than that, and usually a small handful of U19 guys who score at or above that rate.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If he ends up ppg this year, is it good or very impressive?

yes, you don't often see 18 year old Freshman put up a ppg. I don't know if he will but I could see him being close, say around 30 pts.

I hope that he'll be better than Chipchura or DLR.

Have only seen him a few times so far but I would say his downside is a Chipchura/DLR type as he looks like a safe bet to at least be an NHLer at some point. He's got the size, skating, speed, smarts, two way game. Just a matter of getting stronger and improving year over year.

He's faster then I thought...and I know it's just highlights, but he has some great vision and very decent hands for a potential "3rd liner at best". With his size, speed and skills, he has all the tools to be a top 2 line center in the NHL

watching him this weekend, I took notice of his speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryan1966

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
As long as there's a nice progression stats wise, I'm happy. Things are looking good right now.

I like his hustle and his playmaking abilities.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Poehling sounds as though he might become the successor to Plekanec.

Poehling's two way play is in the same mode as Plekanec, seems likely to have a high upside offensively. Drouin's go ahead goal against the Leafs, showed great similarity to Ryan's abilities at puck deflection. Poehling draws defender's to him, creating room for his saucer passing, much more to his game, from what I've seen and read.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think he's just what the doctor ordered up front honestly. I think he'll be the perfect centerman for Galchenyuk, and the perfect complement to Drouin as a #2 center behind him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A lot to like about this pick. He flew under the radar because of his 13 points as a first year player. Competing against much older players as a 17 year is quite impressive. Habs may have finally found a late first round pick that pans out.

Still holding out hope for Scherbak and Juulsen. I don’t hold that same hope for McCarron who seems to be regressing.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A lot to like about this pick. He flew under the radar because of his 13 points as a first year player. Competing against much older players as a 17 year is quite impressive. Habs may have finally found a late first round pick that pans out.

Still holding out hope for Scherbak and Juulsen. I don’t hold that same hope for McCarron who seems to be regressing.

I agree with this. Out of all of the late 1st Round picks, McCarron is the one I'm least excited about. He can be a good depth player, but Scherbak has the potential to be a Top-6 winger and Juulsen has the potential to be a Top-4 defenseman. And Poehling so far is looking like a real good pick.

It should say a lot knowing Chicago wanted him. They were picking after Montreal. They had a deal in place with Dallas, who wanted to move up a few spots to select a player they wanted, but Chicago saw that Poehling was still available the closer it got to their turn. But Montreal selected Poehling right before them. As soon as he was off the board, Chicago called Dallas and made the trade to swap picks (Dallas gets Chicago's 26th and Chicago takes Dallas' 29th).

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Had no idea he had older twin brothers also playing on the same team, three Poehling's in St. Cloud's top 6 scorers lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
its a lot more likely this dude ends up Mitchell like than he ends up anything else

How do you figure? Tell us your genius reasoning of how you figured this one out.

pleks 2.0 which is a good thing.

He's got way more upside vs Pleks. Poehling plays like Pleks but he has the size and skating to go with it. It's the perfect middle 2 center you want in our line-up. I think he can be similar to Drai if he lives up to potential.

yes, you don't often see 18 year old Freshman put up a ppg. I don't know if he will but I could see him being close, say around 30 pts..

St. Cloud appear to be a very good team this year. Expecting Poehling to be a pt/game player is not a far stretch. I say 30-40 pts is not a bad prediction. Can't wait to see him play with the US team at the world juniors.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's got way more upside vs Pleks. Poehling plays like Pleks but he has the size and skating to go with it. It's the perfect middle 2 center you want in our line-up. I think he can be similar to Drai if he lives up to potential.

Pleks had 2 seasons of 70/69 pts, Poehling will be hard pressed to come close to that unless his development takes a massive leap forward.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pleks had 2 seasons of 70/69 pts, Poehling will be hard pressed to come close to that unless his development takes a massive leap forward.

It's early but I see Poehling worth more to us than Pleky was. Poehling has game. Let's see how he does at the world juniors.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
There are a few posts on this thread from boards members who are willing to be patient, but they are outnumbered by the rambling nonsense from those who have never seen Poehling play AND are accustomed to prejudging every pick. I'll take a wild guess that he makes it to the NHL.

P.S. I compliment the knowledgeable posters on hfboards. I just wish there were more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad