23/24 NHL Playoff Thread

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Game seven in Boston is the third straight playoff game with no scoring in the first two periods. Teams typically play tighter defense in the playoffs, but this is getting to be a little much.

I'm not tired of it yet. I love the defense and goaltending battles.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Boston does it once again, this time in overtime, and the Maple Leafs go down to defeat in the usual excruciating fashion. Wildest factoid in all this is that the last time the Leafs beat the Bruins in the playoffs was 1959, 65 years ago.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Boston does it once again, this time in overtime, and the Maple Leafs go down to defeat in the usual excruciating fashion. Wildest factoid in all this is that the last time the Leafs beat the Bruins in the playoffs was 1959, 65 years ago.
Holy crap. Do you happen to know how many times they have faced each other in the playoffs over those 65 years?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Holy crap. Do you happen to know how many times they have faced each other in the playoffs over those 65 years?
Seven times since 1968/69 which is when Boston's streak of seven consecutive series wins against the Maple Leafs began. As mentioned above, Leafs last win was 1958/59.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, Pasta ends it and the Bruins move on into the 2nd round.

The Leafs, on the other hand, are finally able to golf again while collecting their paychecks.

It's quite strange how a team that pays 40+ million of their cap space on four fowards has a hard time even scoring two goals a game....

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Leafs loss is fluke enough that you wonder if it will skew decisions on FO, coach or player changes in the coming offseason.

Also HF Leaf fans are a big part of why I rarely if ever stray onto the main boards. Imagine putting all of the cap space into forwards only to score a goal a game, and turn around and blame the goaltender…

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Leafs loss is fluke enough that you wonder if it will skew decisions on FO, coach or player changes in the coming offseason.

Also HF Leaf fans are a big part of why I rarely if ever stray onto the main boards. Imagine putting all of the cap space into forwards only to score a goal a game, and turn around and blame the goaltender…
I was reading some of the Toronto threads and I swear that they have some of the weirdest fans. Or entitled.

There was one calling Taveres are 4th line forward. Nylander and Matthews 2nd line forwards. And Marner a 3rd liner.

Multiple posts blaming Samsanov for the loss.

Yeah. I think if they can somehow move Marner and get a top D back for him, it could change the team considerably. Then add more D when Tavares contract runs out at the end of 25-26. Nylander, Matthwes, Knies seems like a pretty good core to build around.

Reactions: Fuhrious

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I was reading some of the Toronto threads and I swear that they have some of the weirdest fans. Or entitled.

There was one calling Taveres are 4th line forward. Nylander and Matthews 2nd line forwards. And Marner a 3rd liner.

Multiple posts blaming Samsanov for the loss.

Yeah. I think if they can somehow move Marner and get a top D back for him, it could change the team considerably. Then add more D when Tavares contract runs out at the end of 25-26. Nylander, Matthwes, Knies seems like a pretty good core to build around.

Well, it's basically an annual thing with Leafs fans.

1) Everything sucks, everyone needs to go.

2) A week later. Well Matthews and Nylander need to stay and we can't trade Tavaraes anyways.

3) Another week later. Well, we can't win a Marner trade so let's rather just keep him.

4) Well, Keefe ain't that bad and Shannahan(or however their team presidents name is) tried really hard. Let's keep them as well.

5) Bring in some random, around the edges, changes. --> Everyone = Let's go, Leafs forever, we're winning it all.

........rinse & repeat.......even though the definition of insanity = doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results...

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
2nd round observations, Florida looks awwwwwful hot right now. Avs too. Not wildly impressed by many/any of the others? Vancouver and Edmonton could be an interesting series, I guess.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In retrospect, it almost seems like the myth of Sysphus could have been written with Leaf fans in mind.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Florida over Boston
New York over Carolina (prediction made before last night's game)

Colorado over Dallas
Edmonton over Vancouver

At this point, Florida and Colorado seem the strongest contenders but that could change fast.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Florida over Boston
New York over Carolina (prediction made before last night's game)

Colorado over Dallas
Edmonton over Winnipeg

At this point, Florida and Colorado seem the strongest contenders but that could change fast.
Vancouver not winnipeg coloraad beat winnipeg.

Reactions: kihei

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Huh, I DEFINITELY did not anticipate Boston spanking Florida’s buns in any game of that series. Is that for real or are they gonna do a Jets/Avs?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Huh, I DEFINITELY did not anticipate Boston spanking Florida’s buns in any game of that series. Is that for real or are they gonna do a Jets/Avs?
Me, either. The Bruins deserve a lot of credit being this competitive without Bergeron or Krejci this year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rangers and Canes tied 3-3 and going into overtime. Now THIS is my kind of Stanley Cup game -- goals, comebacks, tons of action, great goaltending, and edge-of-your-seat suspense.

Rangers win in double overtime. The most entertaining game in the playoffs so far. More, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
1715136743547.png

Still hits, ten years later. Especially when my team isn't involved and I can just enjoy it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hell of a comeback by Vancouver from 4-1 down with three minutes left in the second period to knock off the Oilers 5-4 in regulation. I think this is the most invisible I have ever seen McDavid in a game, to quote the ghost of Yogi Berra.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Hell of a comeback by Vancouver from 4-1 down with three minutes left in the second period to knock off the Oilers 5-4 in regulation. I think this is the most invisible I have ever seen McDavid in a game, to quote the ghost of Yogi Berra.

Seems like three goal leads don't mean much in the western conference semifinals.
The Avs also came back from 0-3 to win it 4-3 in OT.

Draisaitl(missed the final 8 minites in the 2nd period, but did come back) might be hurt as well.

The Panthers also clobbered the Bruins 6-1 to tie the series 1-1.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Glad Vancouver is doing well. I see Toronto fired their coach. The Rangers look unstoppable right now. Wonder if they are peaking too early?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
The nucks / oil game was a fun watch for sure. Neither team feels exactly solid in goal with Demko out, I wouldn't be surprised if each game turned into a scoring battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad