21-Team Joinable NHL Re-Draft

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Rosters almost up to date for sim. Interestingly, fantasy drafting with 21 teams built rosters being remarkably close to being unanimously near (but under) the real cap ceiling

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

:rangers

lehtera_110414_672.jpg

The New York Rangers are proud to select, Jori Lehtera (C/W) ($4,700,000)

--

a2a7232b67c26df1c21065e8de0614ed.jpg

pysyk.jpg

The Hartford Whalers are proud to select, Mark Pysyk (D) ($1,125,000)

Next GM PM'd

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Quebec concluds the draft and selects Alexandre Burrows for the left wing.

Thanks ermo!

Last edited:

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
Finished with updating the first and second posts, so all lines (except one) are final.

This is actually not over yet. Vancouver still has to make two picks, so I've PMed them.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Yikes lol. 74 hours worked in the last 7 days (1 day off spent mostly sleeping). Things got real busy at the hospital;
I haven't forgotten about the sim.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Rosters almost up to date for sim. Interestingly, fantasy drafting with 21 teams built rosters being remarkably close to being unanimously near (but under) the real cap ceiling

Knock knock. ( whispers ) hello , tech noir, you finished with the sim yet? If 2 months is not long enough that's ok. My wife has been waiting 10 years for that last piece of molding in the closet.
I would most likely win anyway . Lol
Hope to hear from you soon . If it's already posted somewhere else I of course apologize.
Just show me the way.
Cheers

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Knock knock. ( whispers ) hello , tech noir, you finished with the sim yet? If 2 months is not long enough that's ok. My wife has been waiting 10 years for that last piece of molding in the closet.
I would most likely win anyway . Lol
Hope to hear from you soon . If it's already posted somewhere else I of course apologize.
Just show me the way.
Cheers

I'd also love to see it!

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Sorry guys!!

I was determined at this point to just not say a word until some concrete progress had actually occurred. To avoid risking giving a time or date or any thing, and not being able to meet it.

Life totally got in the way... Ha, I got quite a few hours of work done over a few day span initially, but then couldn't commit much time to it after getting the bulk of it out of the way.

Well, I am pleased to say that the sim is now officially in progress.

I will keep updates here. I have sent a PM to the following participants: Ermo20, Sparksrus3, and showjaxx.

The only thing that I ask is that any one who sees this, also PM a participant or two, and post who you PMed, so that we know every one has been notified once. Thanks!

A few things to note:
The season is the 2017 NHL season, with all 30 teams. Our 21 teams have their user selected rosters, 8 of the remaining 30 have rosters that are essentially composed of 'scraps', and 1 team is especially for us.

ALL players on our 21 teams have both no trade and no movement clauses'. Lines will not be manually input, it seems that to accomplish and maintain this, a very unreasonable amount of time would need to be committed to this project (you wouldn't think so, but it would literally take like 5+ times longer) instead, line-ups and play styles will be AI selected based on real head coaches simulated preferences; this includes my team as well. Players on HFB Ducks (refer to below) also carry no trade/movement, but the remaining 8 teams do not. Honestly I did this because a) it saved me a bunch of time, and b) it is irrelevant, there is no one notable left. Maybe it will be interesting to see what sorts of trades may occur between the scrap heap teams.

Arbitrary salary alterations were made to fit all teams within the cap range.

All 17 year olds that were selected for this draft had their dates of birth adjusted by 1 year, to make them all 18 and thus NHL eligible.

Vancouver Canucks never did complete their final 2 forward positions, so I used randomly chosen NHL calibur 'scraps' to cover those positions.

As funny as it sounds... NYR & Philly's rosters have been reversed. So, NYR is Philly, and vice-versa. If there are ever any confusions to arise, this is why.

Forgive me for this one, but instead of Minnesota North Stars being the Dallas Stars... They are Minnesota Wild.

Hartford Whalers are the Carolina Hurricanes.

Quebec Nordiques are the Colorado Avalanche.

Sounds obvious but... Winnipeg Jets are the Winnipeg Jets (not Arizona).

Annnnd, notice before I said our 21 teams + 8 (29 total) scrap teams? The remaining 1 is the HFB Ducks. I manually created a roster full of players, each with randomly assigned attributes, but overall all players being on par with one another. None have any intentional or obvious advantages. I chose their positions at random to save time. IE: There is a left d-man named Tech Noir. There is a goalie named Do Nut, and another left D named Ermo 20. The players are better than the worst depth guys in the NHL, but none are very good. It wouldn't be fair if I made any of us stars or a balanced roster... And if I made the whole team stars, it would ruin the league results. So, the team will likely be pretty ******. But I thought it would be a fun little addition. And at the end of the day, this is all for fun any way.

Sorry for all the info, from here on out it will be posts with stats and results. :)

Lastly, I realize there may be some issues with divisions, if there is a division with more scrap teams than others, it gives the rest of the teams in that division an advantage, having more games against weak opponents. But it shouldn't be dramatic, and there isn't much that can be done about that.

PS: The Arena that the HFB Ducks play in has been dubbed The Ermo Dome in tribute to the draft creator.

Last edited:

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
So, I'm pretty sure I did not miss any one on the HFB Ducks who was active at the end of the draft. I may have had 1 or 2 guys who started out too and later dropped off.

I have 2 random depth centers to fill the last 2 positions.

I have only one prediction... That, neatly enough, as this is a 21-team era concept, I expect that individual goal scoring/points may be up in stat leaderships on account of the hefty reduction in league parity.

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
Awesome! Glad you finally got the sim up. I almost forgot about it.

I can't PM anyone right now, but later today someone should send out a PM to everyone who participated (including those who made it through most of the draft but went inactive towards the end, like donut and Tryamkin).

"The Ermo Dome" :laugh:

Where are you running this, and is there any way we can check on it?

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks man.

Unfortunately not, it's being run on a local engine, so it'll only be here where we can see info.

Andddd, a bummer here. I was a little worried about it, but hoped that the clauses would solve it. It seems that for some reason the no trade/movement clauses are not working... So teams are trading. If I manually reverse trades... The teams are programmed for whatever reason to want to move whichever player, so it's a losing battle that would just build up in players being traded every day over and over.

If I had of approached this whole thing from a different angle from the beginning, I would have most likely been able to disable trading. But with the way I did it, it was too late and also not possible. Internal moves are happening too - IE: Team A calls-up AHL player B and scratches player C (that some one on this mock chose) to play the call-up player instead.

I initially planned to try to track story lines for each team, each teams stats/players stats, league stats/players stats, lines with good chemistry, etc. at the start of every month along the way.

I am instead going to keep it more brief than that due to being deflated and not being sure if it's worth all that effort when all of the teams are altererd to some extent or another. :/ Plus, the fact that there will inevitably be some follow-up moves. Sorry to any one who's team gets messed up. And actually - I will do a detailed break-down the day after the trade deadline and from then on out.

At the end of the season though, I will do a big break-down. If there is any interest in this or people enjoy it, I promise when it's over, I will take the time to look into starting from scratch with a work-around to actually prevent trading, and maybe even organizational moves (call-ups/scratches).

I'm open to any requests for particular players, teams, etc. at any time, btw. And maybe I will feature the presently hottest team, or the standings leader each month for a more in-depth look?

Date:
November 1st.
I guess I was right about the goal scoring being up :| LOTS of players around a point per game marker early on. Even one goal per game player.

http://imgur.com/a/pWpe7 - Eastern Conference Standings

Very interesting to see Tampa leading... Although early on, they are one of the scrap bucket teams.

http://imgur.com/a/bMkD9 - Western Conference Standings

Man, Chicago is just KILLING it on both ends of the ice to start the year.

Hah, our collective team is doing pretty terrible. Sadly a handful of us have been scratched in lieu of FA signings or call-ups too.

Individual stats:
Shots on Goal:

49 - Patrick Kane
48 - Ovie
48 - Patches
47 - Pavelski
44 - Skinner
42 - Stamkos

Face-off pct.:
Interestinglyyyyyy

HFBoards own, Zaddy Zads.
63.8%
60.0% - Cody Eakin
59.3% - Sean Monahan
58.3% - Matt Cullen
58.2% - Paul Stastny

Haha... Penalty Minutes:
44 - Brad Marchand
31 - Chris Kreider
30 - J. Racine
28 - Jordan Staal
26 - Tom Wilson

Crosby, Giroux, and McDavid each have 3 PPG to lead that category; a bunch of players have 1 SHG.

Luongo received goalie of the Month honours for October, posting:
1.19 GAA, .944% SV, 3 SOs, and 5 Wins in 5 Starts.

JvR received player of the Month honours for October, posting a stat line of:
9 GP, 3 G, 7 A, 10 P, +7

Here are league-wide Top 16s for
Goals:
http://imgur.com/a/pKrim

Assists:
http://imgur.com/a/eW6kH

I find it very interesting how SO many players are posting such crazy stat-lines (some unexpected players amongst them to say the least as well, lmao) but yet they are all so close to each other as well, no one is at all clearly leading by any sort of margin at all. 9 way tie for first place.

D-men Points:
http://imgur.com/a/ZxdAl
See above... Also, hoooly crap. D-men pts. lol.
I'm happy to see both Letang & Vatanen are lighting it up for my team (remember, NYR = PHI, lol).

And I am dying @ Jason Garrison starting off at over PPG in his first 9 games.

I will be back soon with goalie stats, player corsi rel, and some more detailed team rankings, like PP%, Goals per Game, Takeaways, etc.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Player Corsi Rel:
http://imgur.com/a/wfP16

GAA:
Note that I added a condition to only display goalies with a minimum of 3 GP. I will alter this figure throughout the season.
http://imgur.com/a/EIwVD

Martin Jones killing it!

Any interest in me posting the league worst rankings for these goalie stats? Enroth is DYING. For so many goalies off to a stellar start, there are a lot off to a rough starts too. Quick is shakey.

SV PCT:
http://imgur.com/a/FiLn8

Happy to see Schneider is doing well. :) Whoo. Pekka Rinne is killing the sv pct for that volume of shots.

Again, do feel free to request your own team's specifics or whatever y'all want, if I can't do it or don't have time at that moment, I will say so.

On my end, Simmer is leading with 4 Goals. 0 assists tho. And Letang/Vatanen lead in pts! Ahead of Schwartz/Seguin who both have 7.

Sorry if this is confusing like this, but it is much easier to format and upload this way:

Top 15: Goals per Game Team ranking:
http://imgur.com/a/nrV8Y

My god Chicago is good, lol.

Bottom 15: Goals per Game Team ranking:
http://imgur.com/a/ZPn3s

Ouch. Florida is even worse than us! lol. But Lmfaoooo, we give up 44.56 shots on average :laugh:

Detroit averaging 40 shots per game is scary. Also destroying in shots against, with only 17.30. Damn.

Our Ducks are actually 2nd in Shot Blocks (Florida 1st... man the attempts on net vs them must be disgusting), we are 5th in Hits, Calgary is in first. 4th in Takeaways surprisingly. Philly (NYR in this draft, not me) is 2nd in hits and 1st in takeaways.

Team Standings
PP%
Top 15:
http://imgur.com/a/vYeML

Bottom 15:
http://imgur.com/a/FxqLD

I am going to continue on to December 1st now, and will post more stats as soon as I can. I will also wait after that before advancing any further, to give people a few days to read this thread and catch up, provide feedback or requests, etc.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Okay, so I am going to poll any one interested on this topic... I am thinking we will re-visit the question come Trade Deadline and just before Playoffs though, too.

There are 3 options:
One, I just let the rosters rock... Leave the AI to conduct trades freely.
Two, I reverse all changes permanently the day after Trade Deadline.
Three, I reverse all changes permanently the day before playoffs begin.

Option 1 will keep the natural flow in tact. But on the other hand, if any one has been unfairly shafted, or people generally aren't satisfied... We can fix it at that time and it will take. The only thing I won't be able to help is minor scratches/replacements of a few non-star players.

Dec. 1st

So, through the month of November I noticed a few things. HFB Ducks actually won a couple games! Whoo, go us, lol.
The Oilers beat Chicago by an insane score of 11-4 :amazed:.
Several players got hat tricks or even a couple 4 pt games, but Patches had a 4 G, 1 A, 5 PT night in a 7-3 shallacking of Tampa Bay.

Come mind-month, bring out the time machines, Gaborik was riding a 5-game goal scoring streak.

Toby Enstrom (SHIET, I traded him to appease team Sweden lol) meanwhile was riding an 8 game assist streak.

In both the highest single game points total by a player, as well as highest score reached by one team... Ovie got 3 G, 3 A, for 6 Pts in a brutal 12-0 Toronto victory over Florida Panthers.

Carter also managed a 4G, 1 A game, and Eichel had a 5A game. Both of these came with that 11-4 beat down of Chi by Edm.

Lmao... Gerard Gallant, Florida Head Coach is on the chopping block... November 22nd, 2016 in the sim. Go figure.

Pool Party managed a hat trick. :handclap:

Steve Mason got the goalie of the month honours:
his total season stat line being:
21 GP, 2.03, .913, 5 SO, 15 W, 5 L, 1 T

Steven Stamkos with player of the month honours, his season total stat line being:
24 GP
12 G
18 A
30 P

Chicago has fallen down to Earth... Slightly... Considering their pace was neigh impossible to maintain. But they are still disgustingly strong:
25 GP, 19 W, 4 L, 2 OT, 0-2 S/O
40 pts
Philly (not me, NYR in this draft lol)
caught right up to them though!
38 pts in second place with the same amount of games played.

I will post images and much more complete data soon!

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Lmao, Marchand is still running away with the PIM lead.

Taylor Hall and..... Brent Seabrook both achieved a 2nd SHG.

Joel Ward of all people leads the league in PPG with 7.

Martin Jones is now leaving the rest of the league in his dust as far as sv pct and gaa goes. It's all a tight race in both, and then Jones just blows every one else away.

The player stats for Points is starting to flesh out in a pretty realistically expected way, with a couple of exceptions. Johan Franzen namely, lol. He is continuing his career season...

Also interestingly, both Bergeron & Kopitar are in the top-5 for points! And the only d-man left in the top-25 (26/27 are both D) is John Carlson. Carlson is killing it with 27 pts in 25 games.

ROFL, I feel bad for Hamburgler in OTT. He is posting a league 7th best (all very near margin as well, except Martin Jones) .924, tied with my Schneider... But OTT is so bad, that his GAA is 3.01
He's sporting a shut-out, 4 wins, 15 losses. Man.

Detroit's shot-suppression is still amazing.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Ermo, I hate to say it lol but you're 22nd at the moment.
And for the second month now, dead last as far as our 21 teams. You're tied with 19 pts just behind Arizona (one of the scrap teams) but AZ has 2 games in hand, 22 GP to your 24.

So that essentially puts all of our teams ahead of all of the left-overs, as predicted... Except, what blows my mind, is that Tampa Bay is the only one who not only breaks this rule, but shatters it. They're still in 5th!

Their biggest or only trade acquisition was Nick Bjugstad, so it's not like they just acquired a bunch of stars from our teams or anything either. I mean, their goalies are a struggling Brian Elliot back-stopped (1a, 1b it appears) by a better faring, but not great Scott Darling.

They have a couple of guys putting up really good numbers, but generally it is just a super well-balanced offense, scoring by committee. Neat.

Here is their line-up as of Dec. 1st, 2016... The little team that shouldn't but has:

http://imgur.com/a/JbUis

Oddly enough, their entire top-6 is doing quite well, and both of their top 2 LD are killing it.

I did NOT think this team would be good... Or any of the non-21:

http://imgur.com/a/LIjlq

They are rocking a team record of:
25 GP
16 W
7 L
2 OT
1-2 S/O
34 PTS

They appear to be lucky though.. Goal differential is very tiny compared to all the rest around them:
79 for, 72 against... + 7. The team above them has +37, the team below them has +24.

7-1-2 home record
9-6-0 away record.

Our Lil old HFB Ducks are still sitting dead last... They are 4-8-0 at home... 0-12-0 away!

Philly (NYR - not me) is killing it at home... 12-0-2, CHI very close behind with 12-1-0. A few other teams have really good home records, but no team has a really stand-out away record; not for good reasons, any way.

Last edited:

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Wow, Max Domi is leading Edmonton in pts with 24 in 25 games. Carter, Spezza, Eichel close behind, then a lil drop before OEL. Neat to see Domi surging like that.

Jagr is still playing ridiculous with 23 in 23, second only to Ovie on the Leafs.

And lastly, before I leave for the time being... A small summary graphic:
http://imgur.com/a/Gym86

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I know, oddly specific number and not the most pleasing... but, alas:

Top 48 Points Leaders:
http://imgur.com/a/6nlhL

Game Winning Goals:
http://imgur.com/a/Oc9iD

Man, Provy scoring goals when they count! 4 of 5 goals are GWG.

I set minimum games to 7 for shooting %, but can't filter out players with below a certain threshold of shots:
http://imgur.com/a/THHWT

That's insane though... 26 shots isn't the most in the world, and obviously wildly unsustainable, but damn. No one else is close with that many shots... 34.6%

Tyson Barrie is operating at 0 shooting % and 35 shots... Worse yet, Johnny Boychuk has a 0% shooting pct and 44 shots!

36 and 0% for Cody Eakin.

Buffy at 2.6% on 77 attempts.

Hell, Patrick Kane leads the league with 130 attempts, but only 6.2%. Still good for 8 goals.

Avg. TOI is filled with some of the usual suspects.
http://imgur.com/a/8OeAU

Goalie Wins:
http://imgur.com/a/h3uzN

Shots (Goalies):
http://imgur.com/a/Aew23

Hammond putting in simply ridiculous amounts of work. Poor guy would probably be having a great season behind a good team.

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
I know, oddly specific number and not the most pleasing... but, alas:

Top 48 Points Leaders:
http://imgur.com/a/6nlhL

Game Winning Goals:
http://imgur.com/a/Oc9iD

Man, Provy scoring goals when they count! 4 of 5 goals are GWG.

I set minimum games to 7 for shooting %, but can't filter out players with below a certain threshold of shots:
http://imgur.com/a/THHWT

That's insane though... 26 shots isn't the most in the world, and obviously wildly unsustainable, but damn. No one else is close with that many shots... 34.6%

Tyson Barrie is operating at 0 shooting % and 35 shots... Worse yet, Johnny Boychuk has a 0% shooting pct and 44 shots!

36 and 0% for Cody Eakin.

Buffy at 2.6% on 77 attempts.

Hell, Patrick Kane leads the league with 130 attempts, but only 6.2%. Still good for 8 goals.

Avg. TOI is filled with some of the usual suspects.
http://imgur.com/a/8OeAU

Goalie Wins:
http://imgur.com/a/h3uzN

Shots (Goalies):
http://imgur.com/a/Aew23

Hammond putting in simply ridiculous amounts of work. Poor guy would probably be having a great season behind a good team.

As for the trades, I'd like to see what trades the CPU has done and how it's affected our teams before voting on whether to reset them. Since my Pens are last, I'd like to know if the CPU has done anything bad to the team :laugh:. At least Stamkos leads the league in points!

In just a few minutes I'll send out a PM blast to everyone who participated, so we can get everyone to see this if they're interested.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
As for the trades, I'd like to see what trades the CPU has done and how it's affected our teams before voting on whether to reset them. Since my Pens are last, I'd like to know if the CPU has done anything bad to the team :laugh:. At least Stamkos leads the league in points!

In just a few minutes I'll send out a PM blast to everyone who participated, so we can get everyone to see this if they're interested.

Are you not Bruins? It's actually Bruins that are last :P

Pens are doing not bad I think. :) Just got home, about to continue with updated stats.

Thanks man!!

And yeah, I will def make sure every one can see a full transaction history of their team come trade deadline. Until then, upon request, I can certainly show you your roster/lines/player stats, but it won't be worth while constantly updating trades in general sadly, since it's unreasonably time consuming to reverse them all. Not that there are tons... Just... Once a trade is wanted, it will just keep getting put through again and again.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I see lol, you're PIT also. They're 10th.

Lol, attendance stats:
http://imgur.com/a/VcuqD

Ermo, here is PIT's current lines:
http://imgur.com/a/XJpVs

To give you an idea, as of ~24 games into the season, how much has changed or not changed for PIT.

Part 1:
http://imgur.com/a/j6Eb9

Part 2:
http://imgur.com/a/hl0uk

BTW: Try to make note to any one confused that this requires zero work on input on their end. It is totally voluntary of course, and merely for spectating as I run a simulation between our teams.

EDIT:
Lmao... Well, one you seem to have replaced Nolan Patrick with Left Winger Garret Wilson :/
I think one unintended bias (unintended in the sense that, your draft wasn't designed around this simulation, so the simulation has some flaws as it also can't fully accommodate the draft concept) is that some younger players, especially the real life 17 year olds will probably not be seeing NHL minutes.

That's not a matter of a trade, but scratching. And the other one, I haven't looked into it yet but I imagine it's a trade... Lol :/ Dan Giradi instead of Marc Staal.

EDIT 2:
So, Giradi was signed as a free agent. Lol, Staal was traded to Nashville for a 5th round pick :/ And then Nashville demoted him to the AHL. The two moves were made the same day.

I think after I post a few more overall stats, I will sim to Jan. 1st, then along with the rest of the data, I will post a trade log of each team.

PIT only has the one trade thus far. And, don't worry, if there is any star trades like a Giroux or a Marchand, I will reverse that once or twice, just to see if it will 'take'. But if it just keeps happening then :/ it's a losing battle. Those sorts of trades are unlikely to occur though.

Last edited:

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
I see lol, you're PIT also. They're 10th.
Lol :/ Dan Giradi instead of Marc Staal.

I don't really have a problem with Girardi instead of Staal. Of course that means that two of the Staal brothers won't be playing together now.

Are you not Bruins? It's actually Bruins that are last :P

Pens are doing not bad I think. :) Just got home, about to continue with updated stats.

Thanks man!!

And yeah, I will def make sure every one can see a full transaction history of their team come trade deadline. Until then, upon request, I can certainly show you your roster/lines/player stats, but it won't be worth while constantly updating trades in general sadly, since it's unreasonably time consuming to reverse them all. Not that there are tons... Just... Once a trade is wanted, it will just keep getting put through again and again.

I was the GM of the Bruins at the end of the draft, though donut drafted most of the team. Boston went through three different GMs.

Alright, I'll start trying to PM everyone about this.

Last edited:

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
Okay, I've PMed everyone who was at least around for most of the draft except FlamerForLife, whose inbox is full. Everyone who wasn't already PMed; though I accidentally PMed Henr1k again.

Also, can you post the rest of the attendance figures? I want to see how many people are showing up at The Ermo Dome :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->