WJC: 2024 WJC20 Switzerland roster talk

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Norway does not have the speed to keep up with Switzerland at even strength. The Swiss even outpaced Slovakia. The Swiss mickey mouse coaches went all speed and skill when selecting their team. There is almost no size or grit on this team. I do expect a close game though if Beglieri is in goal. He can't be trusted.
Norway shows a fair bit of a grit and heart though, might help them hang.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Norway shows a fair bit of a grit and heart though, might help them hang.
If they get solid goaltending and win the special teams battle then I think there's a pretty good chance Norway wins the game...unless Huet starts but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
If they get solid goaltending and win the special teams battle then I think there's a pretty good chance Norway wins the game...unless Huet starts but I don't think that's gonna happen.
I wouldn't read to much into the 11-3 loss vs the US. Switzerland has been known to focus on the "winnable" games at the WJC in the past and not to go all out vs top teams when already trailing two or more goals on a back to back game. We can't take Norway lightly though. They have better depth than usual this year and a dynamic forward in Nygard. It could go either way even if Huet starts. Especially if you keep in mind how bad the special teams have been once again. Its really frustrating to be hold back by coaching almost every year. And its frustrating to know that Jenni, Albelin and company wouldn't even have to fear to be let go if the team got relegated.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I wouldn't read to much into the 11-3 loss vs the US. Switzerland has been known to focus on the "winnable" games at the WJC in the past and not to go all out vs top teams when already trailing two or more goals on a back to back game. We can't take Norway lightly though. They have better depth than usual this year and a dynamic forward in Nygard. It could go either way even if Huet starts. Especially if you keep in mind how bad the special teams have been once again. Its really frustrating to be hold back by coaching almost every year. And its frustrating to know that Jenni, Albelin and company wouldn't even have to fear to be let go if the team got relegated.

Is coaching generally lacking in the nation, or are they for whatever reason just not giving the opportunities to the right candidates?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Looks like it's indeed Beglieri starting. Based on that, Norway should be favourites.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Füllemann and Wagner are out for the rest of the tournament. Meile and Hornecker are replacing them already for the game today.

And Muggli got a one-game suspension, can play in the Quarter.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Füllemann and Wagner are out for the rest of the tournament. Meile and Hornecker are replacing them already for the game today.

And Muggli got a one-game suspension, can play in the Quarter.

Füllemann and Meile are equally bad. Should have added Moser or Quinn. Hornecker is an upgrade over Wagner.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I thought Füllemann played really well and I'm not the only one I guess.

Louis Fullemann, D (Switzerland)​

He’s out for the rest of the tournament with an injury, which is too bad. Scouts I talked to seemed really impressed with Louis Fullemann, who was one of the few who consistently gave a solid effort each night for the Swiss. He’s small at 5-foot-10, but he plays with a solid edge and had a two-point effort against the United States. He also had a pair of assists in the two pre-tournament games. His experience playing against men in the NL seemed to shine through at points because he looked mature and composed.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Since there's no way this team is gonna beat Sweden I may as well do players grades (1-6 with 6 being the top grade) already:

Simone Terraneo: I haven't seen a single mistake. Extremely reliable both with and without the puck. Playing the toughest minutes possible he still managed to put up 3 points and he's a team high +2 as well without taking a single penalty. You can see he's a man among boys and his extensive pro experience is visible. The team's best player and it's not close. I still don't understand why he didn't get a letter.

Alessio Beglieri: One horrible mistake that cost Switzerland the Slovakia game...still...can't really blame your goalie if you don't score a goal. Has been very solid in other games, stopping what he had to stop and sometimes more. Furthermore, he's been as calm as I've ever seen him. His positioning is normally more like during the goal he gave up vs Slovakia but it's been very good for the rest of the tournament. His rebound control wasn't always ideal but other than that, surpringly, I've got little to complain about.

Rodwin Dionicio: took a dumb penalty and had a few giveaways too much for my liking while trying to do too much. He's been solid against the puck though and he's PPG as a defenseman so overall I don't have much to complain about. Does a very good job driving play and creating chances from the back end.

Daniil Ustinkov: His play in the offensive zone wasn't always ideal but his breakouts and zone exits are fantastic. Very strong on the puck, creating quite a bit of offense from the back end beating forecheckers with both speed and moves. Very solid defensively. Good tournament for a double underager.

Grégory Weber: Quite a good tournament coming back from injury. I didn't think he was healthy heading into the tournament. Was brutal during exhibitions but he found a way to create offense during the tournament even when his teammates didn't. He's PPG and really showed off his interesting combination of skating and skills on some of his plays.

Miles Muller: Maybe a rather generous rating given the fact that he's probably trying a bit too hard. Nowhere near as lighthearted as during the exhibitions where he was dominant vs both Sweden and Canada all while always smiling, laughing and joking. I've seen nothing of it during the WJC20. He's forcing plays instead, making curious decisions with the puck. Still think he played a good tournament because of his two way play. He's high energy and excellent defensively.

Simon Meier: Was brutal during his previous WJC's but I actually liked him in this tournament. Still don't think he's a good fit for a 4th line but he does seem less allergic to contact as during previous tournament and he's high energy, creating offense during most of his shifts...despite playing with Jenni.

Rico Gredig: Still think he would deserve a bigger role on the wing instead of being the team's 4C but he made the best of it. One of very few physical players on the roster actually using his body to do damage. Proved he's got offense in him as well on a few plays. Him and Meier have been more dangerous than line 2 or 3 most nights...despite playing with Jenni.

Ewan Huet: Can't say much about him because he didn't play despite that already lost game he was forced to come into cold.

Timo Bünzli: Still think there would have been better options on defense but he's been good. Not creating much but he's been solid. Better than most of his teammates on defense.

Matteo Wagner: Can't say much about him because he barely played...and when he did he was mostly invisible until his injury.

Jonas Taibel: Probably a harsh grade because of him coming back from injury but he was pretty invisible until the Norway game. Based on his previous WJC performances I expected more from the Captain of this team.

Jan Hornecker: Can't say much because he only played one game but I think he's better than many forwards on the roster. Bigger body who does have an impact with physical play. Can chip in on offense as well.

Gaël Christe: Mostly solid but no offensive impact and sometimes too soft on defense as well which did lead to chances and even goals against. I expected more from such an experienced defender.

Leon Muggli: Disappointing tournament. I know he's a double underager but I've seen far too many giveaways from him and he was sometimes soft on defense, too. Scored an own goal and his boarding was stupid as well. In my view he's lucky he only got one game for it. Based on his NL play I expected way more.

Nick Meile: Played just the one game but it wasn't hard to see why he got cut. Has been a promising prospect and very good for Switzerland in previous tournaments but somehow he must have taken a wrong turn. He's slow, always out of position and his decision making with the puck is curious at the very least.

Thierry Schild: Much like Taibel he was visible only during the Norway game. Took two penalties though. With his experience and wearing a letter, I expected more.

Endo Meier: Not exactly bad but not a factor either. One of the few bigger bodies on the team but he hasn't done anything with it. Nothing player.

Léo Braillard: Should have a bigger role on the team, especially on the PP. That's on the coaches. Still, if we're being completely honest he hasn't shown enough to earn more icetime. He got a chance in the top6 during exhibitions and hasn't done anything.

Jamiro Reber: Some nice individual plays where he was flashing his talent but invisible for most of the tournament. Some of that is on coaching as I think he should be used on the PP and at Center but much like Braillard he also hasn't done enough to get more opportunities.

Louis Füllemann: He was good offensively, creating lots of offense and driving play. Sadly, he had too many turnovers and was also incredibly soft on defense and always out of position. Very disappointing tournament for a player with his experience. His injury is only a loss for the team because he was replaced by Meile who's even worse.

Julien Rod: Keeps on floating around without the puck and he doesn't really do anything with the puck once it's on his stick. Doesn't backcheck either, is always out of position. At least he's got a few good hits but other than that, I've got no idea why he's getting so much icetime.

Lorin Grüter: Threw the game vs the Amerks away...single handedly. Enough said. Should have never made the roster.

Timo Jenni: I've got no idea why he's on the roster because he's obviously not good enough. Maybe he's indeed Marcel's son as they said on TSN:laugh:

Mattheo Reinhard: Started in the top6 and worked his way down to 13th forward despite Matteo Wagner getting injured. Very experienced player so he's probably the player I'm most disappointed in. He's been bad in every single aspect of the game and I think the coaches are generous to still give him shifts here and there. Was losing most faceoffs, losing all battles, floating around instead of covering anything or anybody. Created zero offense himself but was wasting opportunities when set up by others. Literally doesn't get any worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pieck

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I thought Füllemann played really well and I'm not the only one I guess.

Disagree. He was creating offense...that's true. At the same time he was also a liability. Too many giveaways, too often out of position and losing all the battles. I expected way more from a player of his standing and experience.
Terraneo is a good example of how you should play in such a tournament as an experienced pro defender. Unfortunately, at this tournament, there were worlds between Füllemann and Terraneo.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
I have no connections to Switzerland but I’ve been cheering for them for some years now. This was so sad to watch, such a brutal ending. But at the same time I’m happy to see them show what they’re capable of. I knew they had it in them to play a close game like I said in the predictions thread, didn’t expect it to be this close though…

What’s next year’s team gonna be like? 9 returnees I heard, but I’m not super knowledgeable about future birth years and stuff

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I have no connections to Switzerland but I’ve been cheering for them for some years now. This was so sad to watch, such a brutal ending. But at the same time I’m happy to see them show what they’re capable of. I knew they had it in them to play a close game like I said in the predictions thread, didn’t expect it to be this close though…

What’s next year’s team gonna be like? 9 returnees I heard, but I’m not super knowledgeable about future birth years and stuff
2006 seems to be a stronger birth-year for Swiss players with quite some solid prospects. But a lot can happen in one year, we'll see.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
2006 seems to be a stronger birth-year for Swiss players with quite some solid prospects. But a lot can happen in one year, we'll see.
They should have selected more 06 kids. Too many 04 born passengers on this roster.
I agree guys like Muller, Taibel, Schild, Weber, Terraneo or Dionicio are too good to ignore. You gotta select players if they're clearly better than the rest.

However, pretty much all passengers on this roster were actually 04 born. The only positive surprises were Beglieri and Hornecker. Pretty much everybody else was as bad as expected or even worse.

Meile scored a goal vs Sweden but he was brutal. Füllemann was soft and a liability. Christe has been underwhelming. Grüter threw away the US game on his own. Jenni and Rod clearly aren't good enough to play at this level. Reinhard was downright brutal all tournament long. No idea why he still got to play in all group games. Thankfully he was scratched against Sweden at least.

The 06 group might be the strongest in forever while both 04 and 05 are really weak. Made no sense to select so many poor players over much more gifted ones. There were only three double underagers on this roster. Not enough. This is Switzerland, not Canada. If you wanna win anything you gotta be prepared to give kids a chance. Would have been an important experience for those kids.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Add Bischel, the italian and 1-2 others who where injured and this team could had challenge for gold, Jenni seems like a better coach than Fischer....we remember Jenni very well in Sweden, he was a good player in the swedish league for like 6 seasons

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Add Bischel, the italian and 1-2 others who where injured and this team could had challenge for gold, Jenni seems like a better coach than Fischer....we remember Jenni very well in Sweden, he was a good player in the swedish league for like 6 seasons

You mean good at drinking or partying? That's all this clown did during his career and he admits it. He even got kicked off the national team for drinking during the olympics ahead of a game. He also admitted he learned how to use a washing machine during his time in Sweden. This guy is a joke. He also selected a team with zero grit and without a single right shooting defenseman. Kept playing wingers at center etc. Jenni was just lucky he got A level goaltending from a poor goalie prospect who played way above his actual level. Without Beglieri standing on his head for the entire tournament (minus the blatant mistake vs Slovakia) the results would be different. I'm not sure Huet or the 06 kids, though much better prospects, could have done better than Beglieri. He was fantastic, especially vs Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad