Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
How did a team like the Nationals do it in 2019? They were 21-31 at one point, they finished 93-69, and won the WS. I am not saying Jays will do it, but it's not impossible. Teams have dug out of worse holes before.
If i remember correctly they fired the pitching coach mid way thru the season. I might be wrong on this not sure.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's fallen like an old tree for quite a while. Last 30 games BA .177, OPB .131, SLG .217

Mostly because of his last 3 weeks of play. He’s 3 for his last 45 PAs which will drastically bring down anyone’s numbers. Varsho’s drop also coincides with Schneider moving him into the 2-hole in May. The lineup construction has been abysmal and that’s also due to the lack of options available. Atkins not being desperate enough to improve the offence by calling up deserving AAA players further sinks the major league club.

And when you call up a prospect, that should come with the caveat that the manager actually plays him everyday to see what you have. Barger fielding a position for the first time in his pro career on top of going in and out of the lineup everyday was terrible mismanagement.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yes to all of the bolded. Kirk sucked last year and it was obvious if he wasn't going to lose weight he'd continue to suck. He's hitting .188 in his last 30 games. Springer went a near record-breaking streak without a hit last season, you could see his decline coming. The only positive was that he was relatively healthy. Varsho has come to earth and he hasn't even hit to his career avg. of .227. Last 15 games he's hitting .155 with an SLG of 276 with only 1 home run.

Just admit, that Atkins put his misguided hope in a group that proved it was hopeless last season. A change was absolutely necessary, and not a 39 yr old Turner who has started playing like a 39 yr old.
You're so full of it. You knew Kirk would hit this poorly because of the weight he has played his whole career with lol. Ok bud. Stop playing make belief. I already said we didn't do what was needed in the off season. But I could also see why you could be optimistic. I've said Atkins should be fired and Schneider should have been before last season and certainly after last season. There is nothing I need to "admit" to. So tell me will Bo be this bad next year or is it just this year?

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Vlad has a rough season overall but even if he would be batting like Ohtani the Jays would still struggle to win. The problem is way bigger than just Vlad.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think the two freak injuries derailed his career. The collision with Marcus Giles on the base path and then the liner he took off the elbow. Cubs for sure rushed him back from the latter injury, though.

I also remember that he and Wood were probably the first two pitchers I remember having discourse around them about obscenely high pitch counts (like 120-130+) over stretches and the fact that it was Dusty Baker doing the managing and he's always been well known as a guy that doesn't believe you can overwork guys (among other old timey baseball folkisms like "clogging up the basepaths")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad