Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
For an “analytics” guy, Schneider seems to make the dumbest decisions that are completely opposite of that…..”Kepler is 7 for 18 against lefties this season”….so Schneider pulls Pearson, A righty, and puts Cabrera, a lefty in. Make it make sense please!
That and Cabrera has been trash

Reactions: shaner8989

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
rofl Buck. Going on about Biggio holding up to block Santana's vision. I think it's more likely he was doing it so he wouldn't be hit by the ball and called out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well, pitchers used to go much deeper in games where it did make a difference over a season.

That doesn't matter. It's never reliably told you how good a pitcher is because a good pitcher on a bad team will pitch well and fail to rack up wins because he gets no run support.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
That doesn't matter. It's never reliably told you how good a pitcher is because a good pitcher on a bad team will pitch well and fail to rack up wins because he gets no run support.
Well it wasnt JUST wins, ERA, strikeouts, walks was still a consideration as well.

Now there is a dozen more stats.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well it wasnt JUST wins, ERA, strikeouts, walks was still a consideration as well.

Now there is a dozen more stats.

I'm not saying people only used wins and losses, but they used to be given weight in cy young voting. I remember people arguing against guys like Felix Hernandez didn't deserve as much consideration for the award as he would get because his record was often around .500 mostly because the Mariners usually weren't great. Ironically the year he led the league in wins he finished second in AL CY voting because Zack Greinke pitched out of his mind.

Thankfully in the last 15 years or so things seem to have smartened up and voters recognize that W-L for pitchers is heavily dependent on stuff that happens when the pitcher isn't even on the field and therefore might not be the best yardstick to evaluate whether or not a guy is good. Sure, better pitchers will more often than not have a better chance to win games, but the amount of times that it might not is significant enough that you're better off using almost any other stat (including ERA or Ks and BBs) if you have to pick something to be your north star.

Just as a look at the history of wins being feted for their value by bad sportswriters, here's a small collection of posts on classic site Fire Joe Morgan in which the infatuation with wins of the time (the late 2000s) was taken to task.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
By my calculation Jays will need to go 73-51 to reach 90 wins. And with the teams in front which are basically all of them I have my doubts.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Screenshot_20240511-145557_Chrome.jpg

Welcome back SWR. Another reminder of the Barrios trade.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Today is the 45th day of the season, so I believe if the Jays don't DFA Vogelbach tomorrow, the advanced consent deadline will pass and his full 2M will be guaranteed.

Considering where the team is at and how useless he's been, they should save some money against the luxury tax by cutting him tomorrow.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Vogelbach has hardly been used, why is he even on the roster? its a waste of a 26th spot.
My guess is they're going to DFA Vogelbach tomorrow and call up Horwitz who's been shredding AAA pitching. At Buffalo they moved him to 2B recently, presumably because there's no other way to get his bat into the major league lineup the way the team is constructed (he naturally plays 1B/DH which is occupied by Vlad/Turner).

Reactions: mikeyz

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
My guess is they're going to DFA Vogelbach tomorrow and call up Horwitz who's been shredding AAA pitching. At Buffalo they moved him to 2B recently, presumably because there's no other way to get his bat into the major league lineup the way the team is constructed (he naturally plays 1B/DH which is occupied by Vlad/Turner).
Horwitz has to get here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad