U18: 2024 Team USA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He's got a lot of maturing to do, but I've seen him play much smarter hockey when the games are tighter. I think he's record chasing, which highlights perhaps his lack of maturity.
He looked as frustrated as any player I've seen when he failed to convert a chance with about 10 seconds left in a blowout against Latvia. Don't love to see that. Hutson and Eiserman are chasing milestones, a lot of kids in that 2nd to 4th round range are playing for their draft position (which has a huge affect on how much runway and opportunity you get as a prospect). Lot of guys are a bit tight. Hopefully when it gets to the Knockout, everyone is just focused on winning.

That being said, he's been a bit snake bitten this game and could easily have a couple.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
He looked as frustrated as any player I've seen when he failed to convert a chance with about 10 seconds left in a blowout against Latvia. Don't love to see that.

That being said, he's been a bit snake bitten this game and could easily have a couple.

It's rare that he hasn't buried at least some of those chances.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It was probably one of the most dominating performances I've seen against Finland. The result flatters Finland.

Kempf couldn't do anything about the goals. Game was different than I expected, so we didn't get much answers to the goalkeeper question.However, I think he has always looked better than the stats suggest.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Definitely their best game of this thing. Good way to head into the knockout.

Quarterfinal against Switzerland, take care of business there and it's the winner of Czechia/Slovakia. That's as favorable a draw to the Final as you can get, so just get it done and they should be playing for Gold.

USA plays in the first game so set those alarms early.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was a comprehensive beat down. I thought Finland would be a lot better. I still don't think this US team is that good. They got beat during the course of the season a lot more than the 18's usually will, and have more holes than most teams.

They also have Hagens, and he's absolutely dominating. Needs 6 points in potentially 3 more games remaining to break the tournament record of Kucherov. I think he can do it. Stiga plays well off of Hagens. Ziemer isn't that talented, but brings some of the hard elements that two sub 6'0 players lack.

That second line is tough to watch. I hate to say it, but Eiserman is hard to play with. Plante and Bednarik have been good playing on the same line for two years, but they did better with Ziemer than Eiserman. Makes you think. The third line got caved defensively today. Mooney can't handle the center responsibilities. I would move LVV onto that line for Humphreys who I think is the weak link of the top 9. Connelly has been the best of the three this tournament, but you kind of expected it. The fourth line still doesn't have a goal, and has been ineffective.

Our defense has been pretty good. Hutson is doing most of the scoring, but Hensler, Skahan, Emery, Whipple have provided reliable defending. Kempf was good enough today. I don't think he's going to make miracles, but if he can play like he did today as opposed to how the Finnish goalie did (letting in numerous bad goals), we should be capable of winning these high scoring games.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'd keep Van Vliet buried. He tries to be a hero every shift. Doing too much. Not sure about ice time distribution between Laurila and Whipple but Whipple has looked better. Skahan-Hensler pair has been a bit disappointing but Hutson-Emery have been great. Being a righty, I think Emery is worth a late 1st, looks like a Middle 3, Penalty Killing solid defenseman even if there's not a lot of offensive upside.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
When this team is on, they're pretty good. They're just one of the more bipolar NTDP teams I've seen in my time. One game it's like they have no system, structure, and chemistry, and the next they look like a fine-tuned machine. Been like that all season.

Hagens is shutting people up real quick about the doubts about his first overall candidate status. Eiserman isn't showing much different to quell the concerns; yes, he's an elite goal scorer but as a developmental season it's been very disappointing.

Laurila is really bad. He should be the clear #7 and of the quality that normally gets demoted.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I would mix second and third lines. Vansaghi-Baker-McMorrow line is one of NTDP's least impactful fourth lines I've seen over the years but it is what it is.

I would much rather see Lapointe than Laurila. I don't understand this decision.

My own assessments of the tournament's effects on players' draft status at the moment:
Hagens +++
Stiga +++
Connelly ++
Ziemer ++
Hutson ++
Emery +
Kempf +
Mooney +
Whipple +
Skahan -
Plante -
Bednarik -
Hensler -
Rheuame-Mullen -
Eiserman --
Humphreys --
Van Vilet --
Vansaghi --

- Hagens would be a top 3 pick now. Definitely a candidate for 1st overall.

- Stiga and Ziemer benefit from playing with Hagens. However, I really like the game of both of them. I think it is very possible that Stiga will be selected at the end of the first round and Ziemer even in the second round. At least a third round guy.

- Connelly has proven himself to be a top 15 pick.

- I've always said that Lane has been overrated and Cole has been underrated. I'm not saying that Cole is a better player. However, he is a more balanced package and I still think a first round pick is entirely possible.

- Emery hasn't done anything amazing, but at least I don't think he's made his chances worse. Years ago he would have been a sure top 15 pick. Now in around 20-32, someone may roll a dice with him.

- Humphreys has been the biggest disappointment for me in this age group. I expected much more from him. I've got him around the third round, but I'd say he'll be a 4-5 rounder.

- At least Eiserman has not been able to silence his critics. Maybe even the opposite. By far the most interesting thing about the draft is where he is selected. He needs to get rid of the excessive need to set records and score goals from every position. He could take a lesson from Hagens and just focus on playing his best game. Then he would also be on the score sheet more. I think BU will be good for him. In NTDP, he may have been given too much slack.

- Second line has not worked very well. It might be rude to say that when everyone is more than a point per game. Bednarik and Plante are second rounders for me, but neither has been able to raise their stock. I even considered Bednarik as a possible riser, but I expected a little more from his game.

- Hensler and Skahan haven't been bad, but not particularly good either. Hensler has a year to go, but has Skahan done enough to get into the first round? I don't think so. He is an early to mid second rounder.

- Rheaume-Mullen has been the Aram Minnetian of this team for me. I think he has much more potential than what he is able to show. However, I have not been convinced of his game in this tournament.

-Kempf and Whipple have been solid. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't expect anything more from them either. 5-6 rounders.

- Mooney has been able to show very good things from time to time as a underager. I like his game.

- Vansaghi is a bit of a frustrating case. He has size and some good elements, but just not enough skill. He won't be eligible for the draft until a year from now and will hopefully play a season in the USHL before going to college.

- Some people like Van Vilet more, but there is a reason why he is a 13th forward. However, a year in the USHL can still take his career in the right direction. 5-7 rounder for me.

- Baker, Laurila, and McMorrow are anyway seventh rounders at best.

-Heil and Parsons. Heil is 6-7 rounder. Parsons is not going to be drafted.

Of course, this tournament is only a few games but thought I write down some of my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I think some of you are nuts. This team is dominating and playing really well. They've had about two bad periods the whole tournament and folks are criticizing them like they are no talent hacks. This team is one of the top 2 teams for their age group on the planet. The team has been a buzzsaw. Could they lose? Sure. But to date they are dominating. Sometimes you do have to judge by what you see and not always project. Yes I know this is a message board but the standard these 17 year olds are held to should not be Wayne Gretzky.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think some of you are nuts. This team is dominating and playing really well. They've had about two bad periods the whole tournament and folks are criticizing them like they are no talent hacks. This team is one of the top 2 teams for their age group on the planet. The team has been a buzzsaw. Could they lose? Sure. But to date they are dominating. Sometimes you do have to judge by what you see and not always project. Yes I know this is a message board but the standard these 17 year olds are held to should not be Wayne Gretzky.
Fair points about being hyper critical, the teams they’ve played so far don’t have a lot of nhl prospects and that’s true for tomorrow as well, so that’s where a lot of that comes from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad