WC: 2024 Team Latvia Roster Talk

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Gavars is indeed in the training camp, as well as aforementioned Lavins and Skrastins. The overall list of players is just something. Not sure why you even start a training camp when theres like 1.5 players who can make the final roster. Maybe coaches need practice too? Anyways, the NCAA guys are the best there is at the moment, and they should have a good look in the nearest games.
The first exhibition matches are a week away.

And at least a third of them have a chance of making the cut, including the NCAA kids.

So you sort of gave an answer to your own question there.

If they wanted to take a look at the NCAA players, they would have had to do that early. Smart thinking and makes perfect sense.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Gavars is indeed in the training camp, as well as aforementioned Lavins and Skrastins. The overall list of players is just something. Not sure why you even start a training camp when theres like 1.5 players who can make the final roster. Maybe coaches need practice too? Anyways, the NCAA guys are the best there is at the moment, and they should have a good look in the nearest games.

Finland has been doing this for years. The rationale is to have a large pool of players familiar with a style of play both in case of injury and to have a steady pool of players as some retire.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What is the news on Merzlikins? If he isn't coming the goalie situation becomes pretty interesting.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
What is the news on Merzlikins? If he isn't coming the goalie situation becomes pretty interesting.
He's joining early next week.

I'd say the goalie situation is more interesting with him on the roster, as the coaching staff will have to make a tough decision in case he does not perform well.

If he gets 'demoted' mid-tournament, that could cause major issues. Communication and trust is key here.

Gudlevskis is the clear 2nd goalie with Elvis on the team. He's been very solid in DEL this season.

I have been busy with non-hockey stuff, anyone with a recap of the last exhibition games? I only saw one game against the Finns and it seemed like the entire team structure held from last year despite almost an entirely different roster. Which is a very good sign.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Current roster

Latvijas izlases kandidāti treniņnometnē

PozīcijaSpēlētājsGadsKlubs
VārtsargsIvars Punnenovs1994.Lakers (Šveice)4
Elvis Merziļkins1994.Blue Jackets (NHL)5
Ēriks Vītols2001.KeuPa (Somija-2)
AizsargsOskars Cibuļskis1988.Blue Fox (Dānija)9
Ralfs Freibergs1991.Mountfield (Čehija)7
Jānis Jaks1995.Litvinov (Čehija)6
Kristaps Zīle1997.Litvinov (Čehija)5
Roberts Mamčics1995.Nove Zamky (Slovākija)2
Arvils Bergmanis1999.Alaska Fairbanks (NCAA)2
Kristofers Bindulis1995.Mihalovce (Slovākija)1
Sandis Smons1999La Chaux-de-Fonds (Šveice-2)1
Markuss Komuls1998.Trois-Rivieres (ECHL)
Roberts Kaļķis1998.Marseille (Francija)
Artūrs Andžāns2001.HPK (Somija)
UzbrucējsAndris Džeriņš1988.Blue Fox (Dānija)12
Kaspars Daugaviņš1988.Mihalovce (Slovākija)11
Roberts Bukarts1990.Vitkovice (Čehija)10
Rihards Bukarts1995.Vitkovice (Čehija)6
Oskars Batņa1995.Jukurit (Somija)4
Rihards Marenis1993.Nybro (Zviedrija-2)3
Renārs Krastenbergs1998.99ers (Austrija)3
Toms Andersons1993.La Chaux-de-Fonds (Šveice-2)1
Dans Ločmelis2004.UMass (NCAA)1
Haralds Egle1996.Liptovski Mikulas (Slovākija)
Filips Buncis1997.Vastervik (Zviedrija-2)
Kristaps Skrastiņš2001.New Hampshire (NCAA)
Oskars Lapinskis2002.Tigers (Šveice)
Fēlikss Gavars2002.St. Lawrence (NCAA)
Martins Laviņš2003.New Hampshire (NCAA)

Reactions: Marky1999

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Still missing: Abols and Dzierkals (SHL finals), Gudlevskis (DEL finals), Balcers and Kenins (NLA finals), Cukste and Indrasis (Allsvenskan finals) and Tralmaks (Cze Extraliga relegation).

There's going to be some tough tough cuts among the forwards. The depth has really improved over the years.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Kenins role declined a lot in the past years. Courious to see if he still can play a role on the NT.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Kenins role declined a lot in the past years. Courious to see if he still can play a role on the NT.
He is the fastest recorded ice hockey player in history. 41.32 km/h.

Speed is the first attribute to go due to age. He's still got the physicality and the right mindset, but you're right, he might not even make it, the competition is really tough.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The talk about Ansons in the U18 thread made me revisit his brother's stats and boy are those ugly. I think he scored 1 point in 20+ games since his name was last mentioned in this thread. Courtesty camp invite is the best he can hope at this point and while I said he is lucky to have a contract for the next season, at this point it wouldn't be surprising if the Pens just cut him loose.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The talk about Ansons in the U18 thread made me revisit his brother's stats and boy are those ugly. I think he scored 1 point in 20+ games since his name was last mentioned in this thread. Courtesty camp invite is the best he can hope at this point and while I said he is lucky to have a contract for the next season, at this point it wouldn't be surprising if the Pens just cut him loose.
Yup, he had a nice little scoring run early in the season, but his stats just regressed back to the mean. He's not playing for the national team, at least not this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad