GDT: 2024 NHL Sharks Lottery Draft (update: We won! Sharks will pick 1st for the first time ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I can't believe people want to find out later via notifications

Watching this lottery result get revealed live is the highlight of my sad pathetic little life

Yeah, its like following playoff overtime thru an Apps play by play instead of watching it

Reactions: sharski

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
It's not that removing the lottery would remove the incentive to tank, but that convoluted ways to try to prevent tanking don't actually solve anything because a cap league requires tanking for a team to become successful.
Or even more basic

If you aren't close to playoffs best thing is still to tank. Like there was no incentive for the Sharks or Hawks to win a few more games so they still tanked

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Teams would still tank, it would just widen the field of teams that would try.

Also the more you flatten the lottery odds the more you defeat the purpose of intending worse teams to get higher picks. Instead of rebuilds lasting 3 or 4 years as teams sit at the bottom enough to accumulate a good core of high picks, teams would be stuck on a treadmill for longer hoping and wishing that maybe eventually they fluke into winning the lottery and getting the kind of player that can change their franchise or hoping that maybe the draft gods smile on them and one of the kids they pick at 7th-10th every year ends up happening to be one of the steals of the draft.

Agree :) I think each choice has trade-offs. I just get confused by the argument folks sometimes make which is that: "removing the lottery would remove the incentive to tank"

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Hold me, I'm scared

1000009536.gif

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Grinner

May 31, 2022
If we don't end up with Celebrini, I expect Lindstrom will be the pick

Status
Not open for further replies.