GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I appreciate the grace you're extending to this kid, but Connelly grew up in the suburbs of LA. There's no way he made it to 16 without knowing any Jewish people.
Huh. I thought he was from Minny.

But my comment wasn't really about Connolly. Just adding some context to the "how do you not know about swastikas?" comments.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Side note - the guy you're quoting and at least one other poster in that thread attack the Athletic article for using unnamed sources, and I hate how common that argument's become.

Unnamed sources are a standard practice in investigative journalism that never used to be questioned before about ten years ago. And it's not at all hard to see why people might've wanted to not be named in this article considering Connelly's parents hired a lawyer to threaten the author.

There's some guys in that thread that have a blatant agenda in the "culture war," and that includes taking a stance against specific journalists (including Katie Strang, one of the two authors of the Athletic piece). They were going to whine about that article with or without "unnamed sources" being used.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eiserman mocked to the Caps by Pronman. Hard to believe he'd be picked after Jiricek and Solberg. 🤷‍♂️ As much as the Sharks maybe could use a defenseman you wonder if taking another BU guy in Eiserman would be too much to pass up. (I wonder where Grier went to college?...)

Connelly mocked to VGK. Hage at 28 & Emery at 30 both seem too low.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

(Mute is your friend.)

Pretty interesting late riser. Pronman tends to reflect at least some industry thinking so there's likely legs to him as a late riser. Solberg's playing a huge role for Norway at the Worlds, averaging 23 minutes as a late birthday first-time eligible. Only four D are averaging more in the tournament. (Old friend Kempny is close.) He seems Orlov-ish but taller, less put together offensively and still with room to fill out. He's playing in Sweden next year. Sort of a blueline equivalent of Surin...character, highly competitive but some projectability questions.

The Caps ought to shoot for the highest pure offensive upside so Eiserman makes loads of sense. Hard to believe they'd pass on him.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Eiserman mocked to the Caps by Pronman. Hard to believe he'd be picked after Jiricek and Solberg. 🤷‍♂️ As much as the Sharks maybe could use a defenseman you wonder if taking another BU guy in Eiserman would be too much to pass up. (I wonder where Grier went to college?...)

Connelly mocked to VGK. Hage at 28 & Emery at 30 both seem too low.
Could see that caps taking a slider like Eiserman to get some additional offensive talent in the system. I'd still probably prefer Connolly after watching the US under 18 games. Getting to a point I'd almost be fine taking Emery at !7.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Maybe I missed this story but I’m very much intrigued by Michael Hage given his on ice play and very much rooting for him as a player as well. I would say he’s actually very good value at 17, I don’t expect him to be there

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Maybe I missed this story but I’m very much intrigued by Michael Hage given his on ice play and very much rooting for him as a player as well. I would say he’s actually very good value at 17, I don’t expect him to be there

Nice find there and good read.

Always going to prioritize centers and RHD, if draft plays in the a teams favor, in the first round.

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What is the knock on Eiserman?

Because statistically he rates very highly (4th highest star probability according to NHLe in this draft). Is it off the ice stuff?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What is the knock on Eiserman?

Because statistically he rates very highly (4th highest star probability according to NHLe in this draft). Is it off the ice stuff?
A lot of questions/concerns about his two-way play. Scouts think he floats too much waiting for someone to get him the puck and he doesn’t commit to playing defense. Some questions about his deployment/usage as well — his ozone start percentage is high which reinforces biases that his coaches don’t trust him defensively. Gets little to no PK time. Also some questions about his ability to fight through adversity.

He’s an absolute sniper who will be mentioned in the same tier as Bedard, Matthews, and Ovi when it comes to deceptive releases but there are growing concerns that if he’s on a cold streak or not filling the net, he will a tough player to coach because he’s pretty weak defensively. I’d run up to the stage at 17 if he was there, though.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lappy is a good example of GMBM in the draft. He was falling to a number close to us and GMBM pulled the trigger and traded up for Lappy and is looking like a good pick.

If someone drops out of the top 10 I would hope GMBM is ready to jump up with all the extra picks hes been adding.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Didn’t realize Lappy’s Jr’s # was 92…..wonder if he’ll change to it next year and rinse some of the current stank off it….

Recency bias! #92 has a place in my core for ’18.

I wouldnt go Ovie, Bedard tier with Eiserman. Maybe Boeser? Or if you want to really go high upside comparing, Dany Heatley?

I doubt Eiserman falls from top 10. Might go higher than many expect. He was ranked consensus 2 not too far ago.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think there are some glaring holes in Eisermans game. We'll probably see him in the early teens unless somebody really values his goal scoring ability and thinks they can fix the other problems. His skating could use some work, he's a little choppy although his straight line speed is really good. He's not much of a play driver, his transition game is lacking tremendously. He'll need a top end centerman to pair with to become a consistent 30 goal guy. He doesn't use his teammates very well, poor zone entries and trying to stick handle his way out of a phone booth while lacking the stick skill to do it are often on display. I'm more concerned with his offensive transition game than his defensive one. He's not really as poorly advertised in his own zone as some people say. He performs well under defensive pressure and doesn't coast. He pressures well and makes smart outlet passes. It's when he's on the attack that his bad habits show. Maybe that can be coached out of him. I think Cole Caufield is a decent comp. If he's there in the teens and we can make a trade up for him I'd be pretty happy. The one thing there is no denying about him is that he can score goals and that's ultimately the hardest thing to do in the NHL. At worst he's a second liner with elite PP skills. There's going to be a big run on D at some point early in the draft and that could definitely push a guy like him into a trade up to get him scenario.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Interesting to see Surin at 20 and Stiga at 27, and Hage at 28. Surin's physicality sounds intriguing because naturally a physical Russian hockey player wood, heh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad