2024 NHL Draft Thread/Tankathon thread (Lottery Set for May 7th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Yeah, #4 before the lottery looks locked up. It is a pretty good spot to be in. The average pick post-lottery would still be #4. At that spot, I would guess that Celebrini, Lindstrom and Levshunov are gone (though Anaheim I still feel might take a guy like Buium or even Demidov). That would leave the Blue Jackets to choose between Demidov, Eiserman, Silayev, Dickinson, Catton, Buium, Helenius, Parekh and Yakemchuk. Pretty solid list.

Of those, as a layman, I'd personally be really excited for Catton, Buium or Demidov. And one of them will be available at #4. I would be perfectly okay with Dickinson and would understand them picking Silayev. I really like Helenius, but #4 seems rich for a high-floor guy with a 2C ceiling. Yakemchuk I'm not totally sold on yet, but I like some of what I hear.

To me personally, though I know I am in a clear minority on at least one of them, the only ones I don't want to see Columbus pick at that spot is Lindstrom*, Eiserman and Parekh. The stated issues with Lindstrom's hockey sense just bother me. Eiserman still seems like a one-trick pony. Parekh's lack of defensive play makes him a no-go for me.

With that said, I'm sure that I will learn to be optimistic about whoever they pick. I don't really know much about evaluating prospects, so I am very susceptible to Blue Jackets propaganda.

*Granted, him having a Swedish surname makes him very sympathetic. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: puckgoalnet

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, #4 before the draft looks locked up. It is a pretty good spot to be in. The average pick post-lottery would still be #4. At that spot, I would guess that Celebrini, Lindstrom and Levshunov are gone (though Anaheim I still feel might take a guy like Buium or even Demidov). That would leave the Blue Jackets to choose between Demidov, Eiserman, Silayev, Dickinson, Catton, Buium, Helenius, Parekh and Yakemchuk. Pretty solid list.

Of those, as a layman, I'd personally be really excited for Catton, Buium or Demidov. And one of them will be available at #4. I would be perfectly okay with Dickinson and would understand them picking Silayev. I really like Helenius, but #4 seems rich for a high-floor guy with a 2C ceiling. Yakemchuk I'm not totally sold on yet, but I like some of what I hear.

To me personally, though I know I am in a clear minority on at least one of them, the only ones I don't want to see Columbus pick at that spot is Lindstrom*, Eiserman and Parekh. The stated issues with Lindstrom's hockey sense just bother me. Eiserman still seems like a one-trick pony. Parekh's lack of defensive play makes him a no-go for me.

With that said, I'm sure that I will learn to be optimistic about whoever they pick. I don't really know much about evaluating prospects, so I am very susceptible to Blue Jackets propaganda.

*Granted, him having a Swedish surname makes him very sympathetic. 😉

I don't see any hockey sense issues with Lindstrom. He thinks and acts like a power forward. And not the type you have to push, he's always on it.

I'd have him 4th today, just behind Demidov and Buium. Very excited for those two.

Catton is growing on me too, but I think he's probably more of a Clayton Keller than anything else. Really good but not a huge impact player.

I've heard from some people who watched Erik Karlsson forever that Zayne Parekh is just like a young Erik Karlsson. So now I've got to go watch him again.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I don't see any hockey sense issues with Lindstrom. He thinks and acts like a power forward. And not the type you have to push, he's always on it.

I'd have him 4th today, just behind Demidov and Buium. Very excited for those two.

Catton is growing on me too, but I think he's probably more of a Clayton Keller than anything else. Really good but not a huge impact player.
If they draft Lindstrom, I'm sure I will be agreeing with you come autumn. Since I am a layman to say the least, I am very open to changing my mind on him. Even if he becomes a winger, maybe he could be a Tkachuk-like bundle of energy for the Blue Jackets. Is that a fair comparable for his ceiling?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If they draft Lindstrom, I'm sure I will be agreeing with you come autumn. Since I am a layman to say the least, I am very open to changing my mind on him. Even if he becomes a winger, maybe he could be a Tkachuk-like bundle of energy for the Blue Jackets. Is that a fair comparable for his ceiling?

I think so.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I think so.
Sounds good to me. I guess my concern is mainly thay many times people see someone with size and skill dominate a junior league and overestimate their abilities. Like I said, I think he'll go at 2 or 3 so I don't believe the Blue Jackets will pick him, but I'll give him another look before the draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds good to me. I guess my concern is mainly thay many times people see someone with size and skill dominate a junior league and overestimate their abilities.

The players like that that come to mind are like Kerby Rychel. 6'0-6'2 guys that fill out early, but aren't strong enough to push around NHLers and lack NHL skating.

Lindstrom will be strong enough to push around NHLers, and he's already blazing fast.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am on the Lindstrom bus. He is either exactly what we need (top 6 center) or, worst case scenario, a decent power forward — I think that his low end is a better, more consistent young Josh Anderson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am on the Lindstrom bus. He is either exactly what we need (top 6 center) or, worst case scenario, a decent power forward — I think that his low end is a better, more consistent young Josh Anderson.

We saw how valuable Josh Anderson could be at times, and he was a guy who actually did have big hockey sense issues. He would miss passing opportunities all the time. But at that size and speed he was still very valuable, sometimes.

I think Cayden Lindstrom's floor is above Josh Anderson. He spots those passes and those gives and gos, he has more patience with the puck. I'm not sure if Lindstrom is going to help a #1PP unit or not. But he has the hockey sense to play the power forward role better than Anderson did.

Reactions: Indy18

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The more I read, the more I like this draft. Another year to get a hell of a player at the top. They won't contribute for a few years but that's ok at this point. I'd like to keep the 2nd this year as well. I think the C and D depth is worth it in this draft and worry about the 2nd to Philly next year. Let the GM make moves to reshape the roster. He has plenty of bullets to be aggressive if he/she wants to be

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One concern with Demidov is obviously that he's playing in a weak league in the MHL, with a lot of horrid teams to beat up on. But he hasn't lost any scoring pace now well into the MHL playoffs against the good teams.

When I watch him I see a very complete player, closer to the anti-thesis of Michkov. Demidov wins his battles, he can forecheck and hit if you want him to. He's 5'11 but he'll be stronger on his feet than most NHLers he plays against, he's well built with fantastic strength on his edges.

And obviously the offensive tools are just too good, I don't see why he couldn't be a 90 or maybe even 100 pt guy in the NHL. I've moved him up to #2 on my list.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched the last half of the Denver - Umass game, which Denver won in double overtime.

It was a slog, Denver set aside their normal high zone weaving in favor of cautious defense, and so there wasn't as much to look at with Zeev Buium. A couple times guys started to weave but then backed off and the team looked a bit confused. So this was a good opportunity to watch Buium in more static situation. He still managed to create one of the best scoring opportunities in overtime - Buium has this ability when he is protecting the puck on his backhand, and has a defender attached to him, to ride his edges right into the crease.

Mostly it was just defense and Buium seems smart and capable in his end. He knows how to box out guys and tie up sticks, or close down lanes and gaps that open up. I've seen a few people talk about his defense and Parekh's defense interchangeably and that is just confused to my mind. Parekh is learning basics in the OHL while Buium is already a solid NCAA defender in his D-1.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Looks like 4th worse record is in the bag unless Anaheim goes on a streak.

Even dropping to 6th will have a shot at a pretty good player.

Of course we could win the lottery- yeah,right. Which market needs a superstar in waiting? Washington or Pittsburgh jump to mind but Washington could make the playoffs and won't have a chance. Montreal? Chicago again? If not CBJ I'd want San Jose.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Looks like 4th worse record is in the bag unless Anaheim goes on a streak.

Even dropping to 6th will have a shot at a pretty good player.

Of course we could win the lottery- yeah,right. Which market needs a superstar in waiting? Washington or Pittsburgh jump to mind but Washington could make the playoffs and won't have a chance. Montreal? Chicago again? If not CBJ I'd want San Jose.
If Pittsburgh wins the lotto then it truly is rigged.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The lottery isn't rigged, folks. The universe really is just that shitty sometimes.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
The lottery isn't rigged, folks. The universe really is just that shitty sometimes.

Don't worry, they're winning the McKenna lottery.
This was a joke, if it wasn't obvious.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I have worked with enough consultants from E&Y, Deloitte, etc. to believe that a major accounting firm being involved with the lottery means absolutely nothing with respect to the lottery being rigged or not. I am not saying it is rigged. I am just saying the fact that Ernst & Young is involved doesn’t impress me. They might as well say Bernie Madoff is there to ensure the process is fair.

Reactions: squashmaple

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Can you tell me who are top 3 centers will be in 4 years? I can’t.

Can you tell me who we can pair with Mateychuk? I don’t think that guy is on the roster.

I would say our team is deepest at wing and 2nd deepest at left D. We have legit players and legit prospects at those positions.

We have 1 legit top 6 center (Jenner) and he is old. We do have legit center prospects.

Our right D situation is a mess. We have a couple of offensive guys who you can’t trust on the defensive end, a small dude who can’t stay healthy, a high draft pick who is unhappy with the team, and a 1st round pick who gets healthy scratched in the AHL. And Gudbranson.

Buium might be the most talented guy in this draft. I won’t argue that. He is not a good fit for the Jackets. If you think you want to build a team around Fantilli and Buium, then what? Trade the Russian wings and Jiricek for a couple of stay at home right D with size, hope Fantilli’s injury didn’t do any permanent muscle or nerve damage, and hope the center situation works out? People don’t like to trade right D.

I don’t think the lineup is balanced unless you mean it is balanced because there is plenty of mediocrity everywhere.
How do you figure we have 1 legit Center ? Boone is barely out producing Fantilli in which he’s played 10 more games than the rookie who is 19 , and an extra 5 plus minutes every night ..

Boones numbers are a tad better than Sillinger , who’s 20, yet again Sillinger plays about 5 minutes less a night . This is the criticism people have had with Vincent .. Boone should not be on the top line .. he’s a 40ish point player per season

As for the future … I still believe KJ can become a big time point producer at the NHL level…

Chinakov is just starting to scratch his potential

Marchenko and Voronkov , Brindley, your looking at a really good team , not to mention who we draft this year .. Team is rudderless because they have poor coaching , poor front office , poor coaching staff , but that doesn’t mean the future is bleak

Last edited:
Reactions: puckgoalnet

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Heck of a day / night to watch potential picks and prospects in playoff action.

I'm watching Moose Jaw right now. Rysavy is really flying right now, playoff hockey brings out something special in him. 3 points already tonight. Mateychuk is so much more polished defensively even compared to earlier this year, I think he's probably NHL ready. He plays with an oddly long stick for his height, and that helps defensively but I think might be a problem with handling under pressure, we'll see.

I've only caught a bit of Kelowna but Tij Iginla already has a hat trick in playoff game #1. He's not a power forward like his dad, much more of a pure offensive goal scorer, but he's still one heck of a goal scorer, I might have to move him up.

Cayden Lindstrom is finally back in the lineup, game one right now. And it took him about two shifts to pull off this highlight reel assist (highlight reel by power forward standards)

I caught Levshunov and Michigan State earlier, Lev had a great assist on the late tying goal. He's all over the place though. He can defend really well at times but is often out of position at other times. Sometimes I see Bogosian, sometimes Werenski. I'll need a lot more viewings to figure this kid out.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Getting really excited for Yegor Surin that @majormajor posted about previously. What a player he could turn into. It's almost getting to the point where I care about Columbus getting him in the 2nd round (or late 1st via trade) more than I care about which specific player they take with their top pick. Unless that player is Demidov, who is my #2 now as well.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad