2024 NHL Draft Thread/Tankathon thread (Lottery Set for May 7th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
would trading away the pick be out if the question ? honestly in this draft i wouldn't mind trading down. Konsta Helenius interest me

It is the kind of draft where you could see trades in the top ten. One team’s third rated player could be another team’s 9th rated player.

Sens have #7 and #30 and #39. Montreal has #5 and #22. I could see someone totally in love with Demidov or Silayev.

What if we move to #2 and Montreal offers #5 and their top pick next year (#1 protected) and we like Catton?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
if they get 4th they got to be thinking Lindstrom. Eiserman if they want a project
but if they somehow win the draft that would be insane lol.

would trading away the pick be out if the question ? honestly in this draft i wouldn't mind trading down. Konsta Helenius interest me

It is the kind of draft where you could see trades in the top ten. One team’s third rated player could be another team’s 9th rated player.

Sens have #7 and #30 and #39. Montreal has #5 and #22. I could see someone totally in love with Demidov or Silayev.

What if we move to #2 and Montreal offers #5 and their top pick next year (#1 protected) and we like Catton?
It depends on how the picks before us go and how highly we like who is still available. If we were ambivalent I'd take either deal mentioned.

If the draft lottery puts Anaheim 1 and us 2 and the little ball of hate selects Demidov because he has 3 C's already I wouldn't trade. Now if we win the lottery....

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Calgary currently has #8 and #29, and might want to move up to get Tij Iginla. Or someone else.

Reactions: Indy18 and koteka

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
We’re winning the lottery this year, I can feel it. It’s finally happening.

That said, my #2 want is Demidov, and then there’s a decent drop in interest from me. So I’m prepared to be disappointed.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
This should be an interesting draft without Jarmo to see if we go off board again or stick to a script, and just how much influence the scouts will have (if they stay in with a new regime, if the new regime is even in place).

Lots of interesting variables

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If we move down two spots in the lottery I will be more open to Lindstrom

But at 4 I’m on board with taking a defenseman I think.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This Jesse Pulkkinen guy looks phenomenal. 6'6 LD. Overager.

I haven't watched a game yet but just from these clips, Simon's scouting report, and the scoring, I would think he should go very early in the draft. He's currently ranked late 1st or early 2nd but that seems unrealistic to me. If not for the overager thing he looks like a top ten pick.

If we move down two spots in the lottery I will be more open to Lindstrom

He might be too good to pass up even at #4, and even with some uncertainty with his back.

Let's assume something pretty bad, that he misses half the games in his career. Is that so much worse than drafting Levshunov or Dickinson and ending up with a middle pair D? The other aspects of risk, leaving aside injury, are pretty low with Lindstrom. I think most of the D have lower floors.

But at 4 I’m on board with taking a defenseman I think.

Which ones?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Still can't see us winning the lottery. The league would have to think we could actually become a new revenue center for us jump Chicago or Anaheim. Personally, I think we end up with Lindstrom. I think he is a true center and I think the idea of Fantilli-Lindstrom-Sillinger down the middle is too enticing to pass up and at 4 even with the strong D on the board assuming Celebrini and Demidov go 1-2.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Im fully in on Lindstrom.

If hes gone then probably either Demidov or Dickinson

I haven't watched a game yet but just from these clips, Simon's scouting report, and the scoring, I would think he should go very early in the draft. He's currently ranked late 1st or early 2nd but that seems unrealistic to me. If not for the overager thing he looks like a top ten pick.

He might be too good to pass up even at #4, and even with some uncertainty with his back.

Let's assume something pretty bad, that he misses half the games in his career. Is that so much worse than drafting Levshunov or Dickinson and ending up with a middle pair D? The other aspects of risk, leaving aside injury, are pretty low with Lindstrom. I think most of the D have lower floors.

Which ones?

Savard was a middle pair D. I wouldnt hate that possible outcome too much

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Which ones?
I’ll take a middle pairing defenseman over a 2nd liner who only plays half the games.

Not sure yet on which Dman I like best. Maybe the MSU kid

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Im fully in on Lindstrom.

If hes gone then probably either Demidov or Dickinson

Savard was a middle pair D. I wouldnt hate that possible outcome too much

I’ll take a middle pairing defenseman over a 2nd liner who only plays half the games.

Not sure yet on which Dman I like best. Maybe the MSU kid

For sure, I'll take it too.

My argument skills aren't working today so I'll try saying numerically. The upside case with players like Demidov and Lindstrom is like a 12, and a middle pair D is like a 3. You can't trade a middle pair D (or even 2 or 3 of them) for what those two could become.

Reactions: Napoli

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Still can't see us winning the lottery. The league would have to think we could actually become a new revenue center for us jump Chicago or Anaheim. Personally, I think we end up with Lindstrom. I think he is a true center and I think the idea of Fantilli-Lindstrom-Sillinger down the middle is too enticing to pass up and at 4 even with the strong D on the board assuming Celebrini and Demidov go 1-2.
Fantilli-Lindstrom-Sillinger sounds nice

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'm very meh on most of the D at #4 overall. Buium looks interesting. Really hope they don't go Parekh or Dickinson.

Catton or Demidov would be ideal. I'm not as high on Lindstrom as others but can see the allure. Injuries early on should be avoided, especially for a team who can't tolerate a draft blunder.

Make this easy Bettman and give us 1st overall.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Feel like there's quite a few names getting tossed around for 4 OA that I just have a really hard time seeing. I think the top 4 is looking pretty locked up with Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, and Silayev.

5 and 6 OA is where it gets interesting.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I'm very meh on most of the D at #4 overall. Buium looks interesting. Really hope they don't go Parekh or Dickinson.

Catton or Demidov would be ideal. I'm not as high on Lindstrom as others but can see the allure. Injuries early on should be avoided, especially for a team who can't tolerate a draft blunder.

Make this easy Bettman and give us 1st overall.
My only hesitation with Demidov and Catton is the fact that they are both sub 6' and will therefore most likely be wingers in the nhl and I think we are still weak down the middle and have plenty of smaller homerun swings in the system (Brindley, Dumais, Malatesta, Whitelaw). Demidov skill is on another level which is why I have him slightly ahead of Lindstrom when the injury is considered but Catton is my 4th forward on the board and I think will be a difference maker for whoever picks him

I think this draft is is probably one of our last shots at the top 5 of the draft so my priority would be getting difference makers at either C or D that can be top line/pairing level. I can see us having another shot or two in 2025 and 2026 if new management decide to trade out the old guard (Jenner, Werenski, Laine) and try to bottom out hard while their jobs are safe and then start to push in for the playoffs when the Fantilli and KJ classes are hitting 22/23.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
My only hesitation with Demidov and Catton is the fact that they are both sub 6' and will therefore most likely be wingers in the nhl and I think we are still weak down the middle and have plenty of smaller homerun swings in the system (Brindley, Dumais, Malatesta, Whitelaw). Demidov skill is on another level which is why I have him slightly ahead of Lindstrom when the injury is considered but Catton is my 4th forward on the board and I think will be a difference maker for whoever picks him

I think this draft is is probably one of our last shots at the top 5 of the draft so my priority would be getting difference makers at either C or D that can be top line/pairing level. I can see us having another shot or two in 2025 and 2026 if new management decide to trade out the old guard (Jenner, Werenski, Laine) and try to bottom out hard while their jobs are safe and then start to push in for the playoffs when the Fantilli and KJ classes are hitting 22/23.
I don't disagree to the larger point, but none of those small wings listed will stand in Demidov's way in the least. If he's there at fourth, you take him (assuming you're not very concerned about politics of getting a young Russian prospect out, etc). Catton has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling.

Reactions: alphafox

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don't disagree to the larger point, but none of those small wings listed will stand in Demidov's way in the least. If he's there at fourth, you take him (assuming you're not very concerned about politics of getting a young Russian prospect out, etc). Catton has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling.
i wouldn't be surprised if a team actually ends up trying demidov in the middle. he's a good two-way player who skates well and has elite vision.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Feel like there's quite a few names getting tossed around for 4 OA that I just have a really hard time seeing. I think the top 4 is looking pretty locked up with Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, and Silayev.

5 and 6 OA is where it gets interesting.
Calling anything a lock with the draft besides obvious 1st overalls like Celebrini does not often work out

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If we look at the worst teams, this is what I think they would love to come away with:

San Jose - need everything
Chicago - need everything
Ducks - right D
Jackets - center
Montreal - puck moving wing
Sens - someone who would be happy in Ottawa
Canes - Iginla
Buffalo - right D

so:

San Jose - Celebrini
Chicago - Demidov
Ducks - Levshunov
Jackets - Lindstrom
Montreal - trade back or Dickinson (could fit really well with Reinbacher)
Sens - Eiserman (he could be a good fit in Ottawa)
Canes - Iginla
Buffalo - lots of right D to choose from

I am not opposed to trading back.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Have you seen any clips of 6’6” 210 lbs C Dean Letourneau? He is ranked all over the place. He’ll go to BC, but not until 25-26. Will be in the USHL next year. McKenzie has him at 32 so he could be there for our second round pick as a high risk / high reward guy you would have to be patient with.

Reactions: Xoggz22

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Have you seen any clips of 6’6” 210 lbs C Dean Letourneau? He is ranked all over the place. He’ll go to BC, but not until 25-26. Will be in the USHL next year. McKenzie has him at 32 so he could be there for our second round pick as a high risk / high reward guy you would have to be patient with.
he's an interesting one. i'm wary of any player who has that much of a size advantage at the junior level, but the NCAA dev path + his high skill level are interesting.

i don't think he'll be there in the second, but this feels like a prime year for the jackets to try trading back up into the first round. here are some guys i like either in the early second or via trade-up back into the first
  1. michael hage – wouldn't be shocked if he goes in the top half of the first round. checks a lot of boxes you want in a top six forward and seems like a slam dunk to stick at center
  2. nikita artamonov – i really like this kid, seems to have high-upside and plays with a high compete level
  3. jett luchanko – really speedy center out of the OHL. also has a really high hockey IQ, seems like a good bet to become an NHL player imo
  4. sacha boisvert – tall/skinny forward going the NCAA route. could see him turning into a good power forward with a heavy shot, whether that's at center or wing
  5. yegor surin – skilled + good skating + agitator. what's not to like?
  6. ej emery – raw but super athletic defenseman going to north dakota, could be a really solid player with the right development

Reactions: koteka and Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Scott Wheeler of The Athletic had a nice article about him. Very intriguing. Very unpredictable given where he's playing. I watched a little of him. Great size and can skate but he's not playing the highest level competition to really see how he is with the IQ. Seems like a high risk, high reward type. I wouldn't mind that with the 2nd round pick at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad