2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lindstrom is and probably should be falling for good reason. I don't think you can waste a top 10 pick on a guy with injury concerns, let alone a top 5 pick.

Catton is still my pick at 4 if Demidov is off the board. The team needs size but Catton is a play driving center who makes everyone around him excel. This team definitely needs more play driving centers. The knock is his size but he's not going to get smaller and only 18 years old. He basically took a team that had no business making the playoffs and brought them there with two other over-agers.

I think injury should be a bigger concern for Catton than for Lindstrom. He really gets thrown around. He has a small frame and finished the year with a hip injury.

We'll see if Lindstrom is back to full health by the combine. I would be less concerned about him reinjuring himself than Catton.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I have heard a few "experts" note that Reinbacher would be well behind at least 4 of the D in this draft class, based on pre-draft expectations. This draft is considered very strong for D. I believe Steven Ellis is one of those that has specifically mentioned Reinbacher. Silayev, Dickinson, Buium and Levshunov are all considered better prospects this year and there are arguments for Parekh and Yakemchuk as well. I'm no expert so I rely on what I hear when comparing, but I've heard too much about the depth of the D in this class at the top end of the draft to disagree with them. The consensus was that Bedard, Fantili and Carlsson (maybe Smith) would be on par with Celebrini and Demidov may be in that group based on skill but beyond that this top end is higher, just not apparently as deep beyong the top of the draft. most of which is driven by the defensemen.
You're not factoring in the right D angle. Levshunov is the only better right D prospect than Reinbacher, and that actually matters. There are far fewer kids in Canada and Europe who shoot right. The U.S. is the exception to that imbalance..

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I think injury should be a bigger concern for Catton than for Lindstrom. He really gets thrown around. He has a small frame and finished the year with a hip injury.

We'll see if Lindstrom is back to full health by the combine. I would be less concerned about him reinjuring himself than Catton.
From what I've seen Catton is one of those guys that is hard to hit. The WHL isn't exactly an easy league ti be productive in. I think he's been seriously underrated in general, which is fine, everyone has their own likes when it comes to the Draft. I just hope the staff sees the value in him, I guess we'll find out.

As for Lindstrom, back injuries are scary and can be chronic. The combine will be beneficial for Lindstrom to prove he's healthy.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
You're not factoring in the right D angle. Levshunov is the only better right D prospect than Reinbacher, and that actually matters. There are far fewer kids in Canada and Europe who shoot right. The U.S. is the exception to that imbalance..
No, I'm not forgetting that. There are plenty of LHD that can play the right side just as effectively and who says they need to be RHD to be a better defenseman? I don't care the handedness of the player has a higher ceiling. Period. I hear what you are saying and I'm not a scout, just pointing out what has been put out there. I happen to agree with it but I'm just a guy who watches a lot of hockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s fine I guess. I’d grade it a solid B+. Why do you say that? I’ve been away for a week or so, so I’m flying blind here.

Dickinson is far from my favorite but he's going to be good, we could do worse.

Dickinson is just often ranked in that 4-6 area, with a lot of scouts in Mckenzie's poll having him there, and since then he's been really solid in the OHL final and now the first memorial cup game. There's often a late retreat to safety.

I'd take him all day over Silayev and Levshunov, I'm just hoping we don't pick them.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Dickinson is far from my favorite but he's going to be good, we could do worse.

Dickinson is just often ranked in that 4-6 area, with a lot of scouts in Mckenzie's poll having him there, and since then he's been really solid in the OHL final and now the first memorial cup game. There's often a late retreat to safety.
I'm probably repeating what everybody has been saying about him but I'll do it anyway: I really like how he defended in the game. Good positioning, engaged and quick in puck battles, knows how and when to put his body and stick in front to block passes and shots, very impressive skating and explosiveness.

I thought his vision wasn't bad but he probably just doesn't have stickhandling skills to execute any difficult play with the puck. I mean he can dangle and skate around defenders on a zone entry but it's because of his great skating and reach and not because of slick handling ability. I'm not sure how often he can pull those plays off at higher levels. Pretty consistent at doing most basic stuff but very limited creativity and subtlety in his passes. Can't help but think of Bouwmeester.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm probably repeating what everybody has been saying about him but I'll do it anyway: I really like how he defended in the game. Good positioning, engaged and quick in puck battles, knows how and when to put his body and stick in front to block passes and shots, very impressive skating and explosiveness.

I thought his vision wasn't bad but he probably just doesn't have stickhandling skills to execute any difficult play with the puck. I mean he can dangle and skate around defenders on a zone entry but it's because of his great skating and reach and not because of slick handling ability. I'm not sure how often he can pull those plays off at higher levels. Pretty consistent at doing most basic stuff but very limited creativity and subtlety in his passes. Can't help but think of Bouwmeester.

Have you seen much of the other defensemen? I'd be curious of your take.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Have you seen much of the other defensemen? I'd be curious of your take.
Jiricek at the Hlinka, Buium and Pulkkinen at WJC, a bit of Yakemchuk, Parekh, Dickinson and Elick from CHL. Very little from Levshunov, Silayev and other Russians. Basically nothing from Freij, Solberg, Kiviharju, Emery, Roberts, Badinka.... My goal is to start studying them next week and then re-read most recent pages of this thread to see if there is something to disagree with you all. :laugh:

Reactions: majormajor

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I previously posted I was hoping for Dickinson or Eiserman with 4th pick. Well I’ve changed my mind. I wouldn’t be upset if it was Dickinson but for Eiserman that’s 4 or 5 picks too early. This is my new order of preference for the 4th pick.

1. Ivan Demidov
2. Berkly Catton
3. Cayden Lindstrom
4. Sam Dickinson or trade down

Reactions: Napoli

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
I previously posted I was hoping for Dickinson or Eiserman with 4th pick. Well I’ve changed my mind. I wouldn’t be upset if it was Dickinson but for Eiserman that’s 4 or 5 picks too early. This is my new order of preference for the 4th pick.

1. Ivan Demidov
2. Berkly Catton
3. Cayden Lindstrom
4. Sam Dickinson or trade down

I like Dickinson too with his abilities and size, but I have to ask - have you looked at Zeev Buium? To me he is one step ahead / more dynamic than Dickinson.

If Demidov is gone, my next guy is (at the moment) Buium and after that Lindstrom or Dickinson.

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I like Dickinson too with his abilities and size, but I have to ask - have you looked at Zeev Buium? To me he is one step ahead / more dynamic than Dickinson.

If Demidov is gone, my next guy is (at the moment) Buium and after that Lindstrom or Dickinson.
I think they are both future top pairing defensemen. I’d be alright with either of them. Buium might be gone by the 4th pick. Who knows? Seems like defenseman ratings are changing up a bit. Imo the CBJ should go offensive with their pick tho.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it. The Hockey News Draft Preview is out. They have:
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Silayev
4. Buuim
5. Dickinson
6. Lindstrom
7. Levshunov
8. Parekh
9. Iginla
10. Helenius
11. Catton
12. Sennecke
13. Eiserman
14. Yakemchuk
15. Greentree

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it. The Hockey News Draft Preview is out. They have:
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Silayev
4. Buuim
5. Dickinson
6. Lindstrom
7. Levshunov
8. Parekh
9. Iginla
10. Helenius
11. Catton
12. Sennecke