2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
On our boards we've gotten pretty locked in on Levshunov as the #1 D off the board, but I really think teams are going to have different evaluations. I've said before that I could see any of Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, or even Buium (outside shot -- more possible if he crushes the tourney) going in the top 5 or 1-2 D off the board. There's even the chance that someone goes for Yakemchuk as the 1-3rd D off the board.

I do not think Demidov is a lock for 2OA. As a Russian and a slightly small winger, even though he's insanely skilled I think he could easily fall to 6-9OA.

People keep saying this, but processing speed, decision-making, and defensive sense are not things that coaching can definitely smooth out. I have concerns about Lev along these lines but I have to trust that the scouting dept is going to do their diligence on this through interviews with him and his coaches/teammates.

I think Grier and his staff will fall in love with Levshunov, from everything I’ve read. Gym rat, hard worker, loves hockey, large, skates well, etc.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I think Grier and his staff will fall in love with Levshunov, from everything I’ve read. Gym rat, hard worker, loves hockey, large, skates well, etc.
I know, there's a lot to like, but I don't think it's so cut and dry. Silayev is the definition of "big, fast, hard to play against." Dickinson is the definition of "big, fast, hard to play against." Both of them seem to work hard and love hockey. Yakemchuk pissed off Lindstrom to an insane degree and shut down McKenna and he's "big and hard to play against" maybe not super fast, but you could see a scouting team falling in love with him, too.

Buium is fast and hard to play against and he might get bigger enough to be called "big." Lindstrom as a F is "big, fast, and hard to play against" and has arguably even more attractive off-ice intangibles than Lev. The only thing I think is that I would be super surprised if we pick Demidov or Eiserman at 2-4OA. Crazy skills but not "fast" or "hard to play against."

Counterpoint here is that Smith isn't big, or particularly fast. He's hard to play against in the O zone. I just think if Grier is making a statement about what kind of team his Sharks are, it's just as likely he picks Levshunov as Lindstrom, Dickinson, Silayev, and possibly even Yakemchuk or Buium. If they see that Lev is "raw and developing quickly" then more likely... if instead they see him as a fully developed 18 year old without much more physical development and they don't get a sense that he's getting better and better at processing and playing defense, then they might go a different direction.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know, there's a lot to like, but I don't think it's so cut and dry. Silayev is the definition of "big, fast, hard to play against." Dickinson is the definition of "big, fast, hard to play against." Both of them seem to work hard and love hockey. Yakemchuk pissed off Lindstrom to an insane degree and shut down McKenna and he's "big and hard to play against" maybe not super fast, but you could see a scouting team falling in love with him, too.

Buium is fast and hard to play against and he might get bigger enough to be called "big." Lindstrom as a F is "big, fast, and hard to play against" and has arguably even more attractive off-ice intangibles than Lev. The only thing I think is that I would be super surprised if we pick Demidov or Eiserman at 2-4OA. Crazy skills but not "fast" or "hard to play against."

Counterpoint here is that Smith isn't big, or particularly fast. He's hard to play against in the O zone. I just think if Grier is making a statement about what kind of team his Sharks are, it's just as likely he picks Levshunov as Lindstrom, Dickinson, Silayev, and possibly even Yakemchuk or Buium. If they see that Lev is "raw and developing quickly" then more likely... if instead they see him as a fully developed 18 year old without much more physical development and they don't get a sense that he's getting better and better at processing and playing defense, then they might go a different direction.

All fair points. I would be shocked if they don’t pick a defenseman if we don’t get Celebrini. I’m falling in love with Demidov a little but our defensive pool is in a sad state.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sounds like there’s a steep drop off after 15, I’d take Levshunov and run. Maybe grab another 1st rounder if people are still interested in trading one for Ferraro.
Possibly but I feel like that area between 3 and 15 is pretty close so if an opportunity is there to add another high pick, we should try and make that happen. We still need everything in a scenario where we're not getting Celebrini so we need to take a lot of shots so that we either get lucky finding one or build up a pool of tradeable assets. We still need more up front given what we have to be able to build from within and also have assets to trade to fill gaps. Also, I'd trade Ferraro for a 1st in a heartbeat whether or not we trade back.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Possibly but I feel like that area between 3 and 15 is pretty close so if an opportunity is there to add another high pick, we should try and make that happen. We still need everything in a scenario where we're not getting Celebrini so we need to take a lot of shots so that we either get lucky finding one or build up a pool of tradeable assets. We still need more up front given what we have to be able to build from within and also have assets to trade to fill gaps. Also, I'd trade Ferraro for a 1st in a heartbeat whether or not we trade back.
I very much agree with this. I think if we don't get the top pick and draft Celebrini I like the idea of trading to the back of the next tier of players available. If we can trade back and pick up another pick this year or in the future while staying in the tier of players after Celebrini we can draft whoever is left and collect more assets.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

My reasoning for the potential with Levshunov is that up until last season he was playing in Belarus and likely so far ahead of his competition that he didn’t need to battle in the D zone and show the compete that people list as a negative for him. He processes the game at a high speed so instilling a compete in him should be something coaching can do. I doubt he was getting high level coaching in Belarus.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
IF Celebrini doesn't want to sign with the Sharks, The Sharks can trade down the 1st OA pick for Anaheim 3rd and 24th 1st rounders. Plus the Pitts 11th OA would give the Sharks 3 picks in the 1st round. The best thing would be to pick 1st OA and pick Celebrini of course.

Reactions: General Manager

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I know that Buium had a lot of hype earlier this year and there was talk of him being a top five pick. He now seems to be talked about as a maybe top 10 pick. Has he just slowed down since then? I like the idea of drafting a D-man who has 48 points in 38 games as a freshman in the NCAA. I think he also has the second highest NHLe among players behind only Celebrini according to Tankathon. He seems like a good player to draft.

Reactions: Sandisfan

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
IF Celebrini doesn't want to sign with the Sharks, The Sharks can trade down the 1st OA pick for Anaheim 3rd and 24th 1st rounders. Plus the Pitts 11th OA would give the Sharks 3 picks in the 1st round. The best thing would be to pick 1st OA and pick Celebrini of course.

3 + 24 wouldn’t be enough for me to trade 1OA in THIS draft

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I need to be shown something substantial in order to believe that Celebrini wouldn't sign here. I can see the argument of having his preferences that may not have the Sharks at the top of that list but it doesn't mean he wouldn't sign here. Practically nobody's top choice is to play for the Sharks but they do it when that's the way it works out anyway.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In the ridiculously unlikely scenario that happens, you say “Carlsson” or “Gauthier+Anaheim 1st” and don’t budge. If no one pays up, you let Celebrini rot for three more years in college. Absolutely no weak-sauce offers like a late 1st.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
but the 1st round pick value chart!1!!1!

1 --> (3, 24) is bad value
hypothetically, 1 --> (3, 24, 22) or, 1 --> (3, 8) are more equal for an average draft.

(but, no draft is an average draft, I think 1OA has a bigger gap this year)

Image-5-26-22-at-9.43-PM-980x701.jpg

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I know that Buium had a lot of hype earlier this year and there was talk of him being a top five pick. He now seems to be talked about as a maybe top 10 pick. Has he just slowed down since then? I like the idea of drafting a D-man who has 48 points in 38 games as a freshman in the NCAA. I think he also has the second highest NHLe among players behind only Celebrini according to Tankathon. He seems like a good player to draft.
Some people have Buium at the top of the D. He is scoring at a historic pace. The criticism is whether that's because his entire team is scoring a ton, and they play lower end competition. Another criticism is he's only 6'0-6'1 where at the start of the season everyone thought he was 6'2 and maybe heading to 6'4 like his brother. Another criticism is whether his play style (lots of deking and escaping at the blue line) will translate to the NHL. But he is still seen as a top prospect.

If 1) he tears up the NCAA tourney against other top competition, 2) it's somehow determined that he may still grow 1-2", then I think the Sharks or anyone else might pick him up in the top 5.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Button list is exactly why not getting first overall for me would be such a failure. After Macklin (and I guess Dem), there’s a solid 10 players at least who could go third.

Some people have Buium at the top of the D. He is scoring at a historic pace. The criticism is whether that's because his entire team is scoring a ton, and they play lower end competition. Another criticism is he's only 6'0-6'1 where at the start of the season everyone thought he was 6'2 and maybe heading to 6'4 like his brother. Another criticism is whether his play style (lots of deking and escaping at the blue line) will translate to the NHL. But he is still seen as a top prospect.

If 1) he tears up the NCAA tourney against other top competition, 2) it's somehow determined that he may still grow 1-2", then I think the Sharks or anyone else might pick him up in the top 5.
I mean Makar is 5’11. Quinn Hughes is 5’10. The days of dominant D-men needing to be 6’2 and up seem to be over.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
The Button list is exactly why not getting first overall for me would be such a failure. After Macklin (and I guess Dem), there’s a solid 10 players at least who could go third.

I mean Makar is 5’11. Quinn Hughes is 5’10. The days of dominant D-men needing to be 6’2 and up seem to be over.
Yes, but you can't take the best players in the world who are also under 6' and make the case. It's more about how many D under 6' can make an impact. Addison is also under 6'...

Great defensemen in the past could also be small (Leetch, Niedermayer, Boyle) so this isn't new. But it's still more likely that if a guy is 6'1"-6'2", skates well, and has offense, he's a better bet for an NHL career than someone at 5'11".

Reactions: Grinner and Cas

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Will catch Buium and Denver in about 30 minutes. My first viewing apart from the World Juniors.

Right now - only from reading a lot of opinions and YouTube snippets - I have him 3rd OA. Levshunov is 2nd, will catch his game tomorrow. Exciting time

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yes, but you can't take the best players in the world who are also under 6' and make the case. It's more about how many D under 6' can make an impact. Addison is also under 6'...

Great defensemen in the past could also be small (Leetch, Niedermayer, Boyle) so this isn't new. But it's still more likely that if a guy is 6'1"-6'2", skates well, and has offense, he's a better bet for an NHL career than someone at 5'11".
I guess, but the difference between 5’11 and 6’1 isnt what it used to be.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I know a lot of people will be disappointed if we don’t get 1OA, but regardless of what happens, this has been the first season since 18-19 that I’ve actually been invested in the team. Playing to lose is really just playing to win backwards. It sounds crazy but I feel like the games matter again. If we have to do this for another few seasons, I am honestly okay with that. This is way better than the end of the DW era. There is hope at least. We are building to something better. We keep putting in the work and it will come with time. Regardless of the draft lottery I am happier now than before. I just hope wish they hadn’t wasted so much time before accepting reality.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's still 2 inches.
"That's what she said."

I know a lot of people will be disappointed if we don’t get 1OA, but regardless of what happens, this has been the first season since 18-19 that I’ve actually been invested in the team. Playing to lose is really just playing to win backwards. It sounds crazy but I feel like the games matter again. If we have to do this for another few seasons, I am honestly okay with that. This is way better than the end of the DW era. There is hope at least. We are building to something better. We keep putting in the work and it will come with time. Regardless of the draft lottery I am happier now than before. I just hope wish they hadn’t wasted so much time before accepting reality.
This is some next-level coping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad