2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Anyone find the published list of numbers? Last year it was 1-5-4-2 or some shit. Then they had to look it up on a list... would be nice for fans to also have that list prior to the draft.
Last years: https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2022-23/2023DraftLotteryGuide.pdf
I wonder if you can map the numbers based on position in 2023 vs 2024, e.g. map #1 pre-lottery team in 2023 (Ducks) to #1 pre-lottery team in 2024 (Sharks), etc.
Or whether they create a new "random" table.

Reactions: landshark

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
A guy I'd be interested in, if he's still around in the 2nd round is Hemming. He is a much better version of Halttunen that can skate. Got to think Grier likes that type of player and Hemming projects more of a NHLer. Leaves the Sharks to sell high on Halttunen (in a trade for some vet presence) which is a train I've been on for minute.

Last edited:

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Reactions: landshark

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Just like @coooldude said, I'm very nervous with what happens at 2 or 3. But let's look at the realistic options:

Celebrini: The 1C we need. Having Celebrini, Smith, Bystedt, Edstrom, etc. down the middle gives us a very strong, and diverse centre core. I think having Celebrini and Smith as our top 2 Cs give us good matchup options (Celebrini's two-way game and then Smith's prolific offense)

Levshunov: Big, good skating, RD. Can play physical, a fitness freak, and has what I would say is the wildest development curve in the draft. He definitely has question marks in his decision making, but considering he was playing Belarus U18 hockey 2 years ago, I think that will improve with time.

Demidov: Flashy, shifty skater, insane offensive numbers. If we miss out on Celebrini this is our next best bet on a potential game breaker who will bring fans to the arena. My problem is we already drafted not big, creative guys in Eklund and Smith, and if we want to win in the future there's other needs we need to focus on. Would be happy to have him, but we'd be in the same position next year as we are right now...without a 1C or top pairing D.

Silayev: This is basically the exact opposite of Demidov. Huge, defensive, non-flashy defenseman. Skates great for his size, hits, and with that reach would be a defensive monster. How good is his offense? Not amazing, but he's also a draft eligible playing in the KHL. He's a project pick...will take some time, but if developed right you're looking at a 6'7 elite defender that you play 20-25 mins/game. Could also become Tyler Myers lol.

Lindstrom: Soft hands power forward who skates good for his size. Would complement Smith well down the middle, but we'd still lack that franchise level forward to make us a legit contender. He plays mean and could be a Tkachuk-ish kind of player. If not for his injury he could've been the favorite for 2OA based on how he was playing.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
@Stewie Griffin I'd say Buium would also be in the running. Huge offensive upside, potential to become a true #1D.
While I agree he's got a good game, based on Bob Mckenzie (and also Corey Pronman) who makes rankings based on actual NHL scouts, I think the guys I listed are most likely the top-5 selections in the draft.

Buium could go 4 or 5, but considering we pick 3rd overall worst case I think were selecting too early for him.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
While I agree he's got a good game, based on Bob Mckenzie (and also Corey Pronman) who makes rankings based on actual NHL scouts, I think the guys I listed are most likely the top-5 selections in the draft.

Buium could go 4 or 5, but considering we pick 3rd overall worst case I think were selecting too early for him.
That's fair, I saw Bob's summary so you are most likely right.

Iif we don't get Celebrini, I'd be happy with any of his list except for Silyaev, and plus any of these: Buium, Catton.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
That's fair, I saw Bob's summary so you are most likely right.

Iif we don't get Celebrini, I'd be happy with any of his list except for Silyaev, and plus any of these: Buium, Catton.
For Catton, I think he's available closer to our PIT pick than our own. I know trade ups never happen into the top-10, but considering our 14th overall pick and early 2nds we do have the ammo to do it. Would be fun to trade up for a Dickinson/Buium/Parekh if we land Celebrini...just to ensure our D pipeline has a potential stud.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
For Catton, I think he's available closer to our PIT pick than our own. I know trade ups never happen into the top-10, but considering our 14th overall pick and early 2nds we do have the ammo to do it. Would be fun to trade up for a Dickinson/Buium/Parekh if we land Celebrini...just to ensure our D pipeline has a potential stud.
Agreed! Would love to pick a D in that case. Would be happy with Yakemchuk at 14 too.

That said, if teams go off the board from the generally accepted top 13 and it looks like some of the forwards like Catton, Helenius or even Iginla are still there, we may just have to hold out and go BPA.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Agreed! Would love to pick a D in that case. Would be happy with Yakemchuk at 14 too.

That said, if teams go off the board from the generally accepted top 13 and it looks like some of the forwards like Catton, Helenius or even Iginla are still there, we may just have to hold out and go BPA.

If Yak makes it past 5OA, I think we'll have a shot at him at 14. I am very hopeful. But I think he'll potentially go pretty high. Anaheim at 4OA (if they end up there) for example.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I hope we draft Silayev because I think that would make people the angriest.
at 14? Hell yeah.

If Yak makes it past 5OA, I think we'll have a shot at him at 14. I am very hopeful. But I think he'll potentially go pretty high. Anaheim at 4OA (if they end up there) for example.
Honestly, if we don't win the lotto, I'd be inclined to try and move up from 14 with our 2nd into the top ten and grab two top-end players. It would be a slight consolation prize IMO.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Honestly, if we don't win the lotto, I'd be inclined to try and move up from 14 with our 2nd into the top ten and grab two top-end players. It would be a slight consolation prize IMO.
It's a good thought, I'm just not sure who takes the other side of that trade. They're seeing the same thing we are. Maybe a team that sees a massive drop-off at 6OA and a flat-ish tier all the way into the 2nd round.

Flipping it around, this year if we had 6-10, would we trade that away for 14 and 33? I'm not sure I would.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's a good thought, I'm just not sure who takes the other side of that trade. They're seeing the same thing we are. Maybe a team that sees a massive drop-off at 6OA and a flat-ish tier all the way into the 2nd round.

Flipping it around, this year if we had 6-10, would we trade that away for 14 and 33? I'm not sure I would.
According to the pick value charts I’ve seen (after a quick google search) 14+33 is about equal to 6-7. If Buium or Lindstrom were there, I’d do it. But I don’t know if I trust the pick value charts, because they also say 14+42 is 7-8, which I’d obviously do as well.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
According to the pick value charts I’ve seen (after a quick google search) 14+33 is about equal to 6-7. If Buium or Lindstrom were there, I’d do it. But I don’t know if I trust the pick value charts, because they also say 14+42 is 7-8, which I’d obviously do as well.
Totally, it's just the dynamics of this year (clear 1OA, big fat tier from 2-14ish, and then a drop off and another flat tier from say 15 or 18 thru to the 40's) ... so if you like that fat lower tier, maybe you want two bites at the apple, but I like the certainty of the talent level at 6-10 personally. Which means if I'm that team I might say no to SJS trying to trade into my spot.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

If you’re Ottawa and you’re in desperate need to replenish a pretty meh prospect pool, and you’re picking like 9th, you may be inclined to jump back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad